Steel Cut Oatmeal

ruthie33

Cathlete
So, I'm trying to keep track of calories in / calories out during this first part of my new lifestyle. I'm having trouble, however, calculating calories in my oatmeal!!! It seems really high, perhaps I'm confused.

So, I eat Steel Cut Oatmeal and I make it 1 cup (dry) to 4 1/2 cups water.

The label says serving size is 1/4 cup (but it doesn't specify dry or cooked)
Calories 150

Anyone who has made oatmeal knows that if you cook 1 cup dry, you get a lot more than 1 cup cooked!!!

So, this morning, I measured out 1/2 cup cooked (which isn't much) and marked it in my food journal as 300 calories. Would that be right??

It really makes my breakfast a lot more calorie rich than I would like as I can do the oatmeal on it's own so my breakfast this morning looked like this:

1/2 cup oatmeal 300
1 mashed banana 105
1 TBSP walnuts 49
1 TBSP unsweet coconut 90
Total calories for breakfast = 544

Am I logging this correctly? I do have a calorie counter book but it doesn't list steel cut oatmeal.

Bump

On my recipe, it's 1 c. steel cut oats dry/ 3 c. water, makes 4 cups.

Calories 140 per serving (1/4 c. dry), I buy bulk sometimes so I don't really know either.

Stopped eating oatmeal in the morning because it didn't set right with my workouts, for some reason, maybe the summer heat? Used to have it regularly last winter. Hopefully I can get back to it. I think though for me, serving size was about 1/3 cup. Add dried cranberries, blueberries, or cherries, & cinnamon. Maybe a little agave over top.

Would like to know too.:)

Linda

The 150 calories refers to 1/4 c dry oatmeal. The package will show the nutrition information for what is in the package when you buy it, not the prepared product. The serving size of the prepared oatmeal will probably be somewhere between 3/4 and 1 cup, and it's just 150 calories.

Stebby

I eat oatmeal regularly - both steel cut oats (which I just boil water, pour oats in, turn off the heat and let sit all night and then don't re-heat or cook the next day - the water is absorbed into the oats and that's good enough for me) or the large flake oats (which i cook). I add vanilla protein powder and almond milk et voila! instant rice pudding taste for breakfast. I can't have rice pudding 'cos of a milk allergy so this discovery has been yummy for me.

That sounds so good! I've been on the atkins diet for about 4 weeks and I've lost a lot of weight but I really miss oatmeal and fruit. Those aren't allowed on the plan until
like week 12 or something I forget but I'm thinking of just switching to the eat-clean
cooler 2 plan. Life without bread is pretty dull.

catcookie,

i did something similar to atkins way back in my early 20's - more like food combining actually (the hay system) - i watched my boyfriend's face clear up almost overnight (acne) and I dropped all my weight quickly. I never got colds etc... but it was tough to stay on. I missed combining food and eating bread whenever I wanted to. so I hear ya. eating clean is much easier and allows for a more 'normal' way of eating i find. at least for me.

good luck.

s.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.