Staying fit while recuperating from bunion surgery

Kellyj12

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and am wondering if anyone has had bunion surgery and what you did to try to maintain you fitness. I had thyroid cancer 2 years ago (so far so good!) and my energy has just never been the same. Now I'm supposed to be having double bunion surgery in 2 weeks (2nd foot 3 weeks later). I've been struggling these last couple of years and am worried that I will totally fall apart - lol! I figure I can focus on weights for upper body, upper body cardio with light weights maybe, and abs without any issue. I am wondering if I will be able to do leg lifts or something non weight bearing for my lower body. I definitely won't do anything to hurt my recovery. Any thoughts, experiences or ideas would be most welcome!

Thank you!
Kelly

Maybe for your lower body you could put on ankle weight and do some lying leg work so you don't put pressure on your foot. Cardio, I don't know because you have to use your feet. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Kim

Thanks, Kim! I've seen some low level cardio exercises doing boxing type punches with light weights. I'm hoping that helps.

I just wanted to say welcome and I hope your surgery goes well. I haven't had buniion surgery, but I have had a few surgeries that required long recovery periods where my only activity could be walking relatively short distances. I was very, very concerned about my fitness level, but it worked out well each time. Because you're fit to start you don't lose too much fitness overall...well, you do, but it comes roaring back within a few weeks once you're able to start working out again. Best of luck!

Hi Kelly,

I've had 5 surgeries on my right foot, 3 of them for a bunion. First, I strongly encourage you following Dr.'s orders during recovery. I had to wear that large boot but only wore it when necessary. As soon as I could get my foot into a regular tennis shoe I did. The boot was very problematic and causing hip/back/neck/shoulder issues etc. As far as exercise, I stuck to upper body weight training and abs. It probably took a good 3-4 months before I was back to running and higher impact. I was able to do kickboxing, spinning, low impact step. Also, your recovery time would be a good time to focus on your nutrition goals.

Best of luck with your surgery, let us know how it goes.

I am recovering from a hysterectomy...10 days out and just did a slow 1/2 mile walk today. I feel great but am listening to Dr's. orders...no lifting, running, ab work till my follow-up appointment October 20th. Very hard to follow but at 52 I figure I need the recovery time. Good luck with your surgery. Keep us posted!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.