Starting STS for the first time and have a couple questions

Tracy Sheehy

First, I read the suggested cardio workouts posted by cathe and I plan on doing cardio on the the off days...tues, thurs, and sat, but I am used to doing cardio on my weight days as well. Does anyone out there doing STS do cardio on the weight
days as well as on the off days? And second, if I decide to stick to weights only on the three days and do cardio on the off days, what activity level should I set the workout manager on?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks Tracy

I have done some cardio on the same days as STS...mostly shorter workouts (some short premixes like step only from Step, Pump, and Jump, etc) and on the same day as an upper body w/o. For me, the lower body workouts have a 'cardio effect' so I wouldn't pair extra cardio with those. For the workout manager, are you talking about your activity level for the 'TDEE'? If you're going to use that calorie info to base your diet off of, I would be conservative with the level especially if the rest of your day is sedentary...I prefer to use my FitBit + HR monitor for that info.

I would agree with the leg workouts having a cardio effect and not needing extra cardio. For the upper body workouts, I tend to skip Cathe's stretch and add on a short yoga stretch instead (Rodney Yee AM Yoga for your week are great for this, 20 minutes) or I also do Cathe's stretches from the gym styles, and some of her leg workouts, because I like variety. For extra cardio I just take the dogs for a walk. That seems to be plenty of exercise for one day.

When I'm doing an STS rotation, I'll do that specified workout in the morning and later that day I will do something cardio. The last rotation I just finished fell on riding season and that was my cardio in the afternoons/evenings. It worked out very well for me, to the point where I am itching to repeat it with winter sports since I'm in Minnesota.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.