starting all over again...

AnatW

I was exercising 4 times a week, eating well (1400-1500 calories) with very minimal cheat days for about 2 months, yet I was stuck and the weight refused to come off.
Then I got so discouraged and started to have more and more cheat days until I finally went back to eating junk.
It's now 4 weeks that I am "bad" and I am paying for that now.
I went on the scale and realized that I gained back 7 lbs ! in 4 weeks !!! It is sooooo frustrating !
Today I have an appointment with my dietician (I was thinking about cancelling it) and I hope to get back on track.
The problem is that I don't feel like going on another diet. I lost all motivation. I only want to eat fattening food and junk.
How can I get my motivation back ? Any advice ? I am 5'8, 176 lbs and need to lose about 20 lbs. Blood work is OK.

Thanks for listening,
Anat.

Hi Anat :)

Don't start a diet, start a new "life plan", something you can live with without feeling deprived.
I CLEARLY knew I would never live without McDonalds, so every Monday is "take out Monday", and everyone in the house gets their favorite fast food/take out, and since I know that every Monday I'm going to have my McDonalds, it makes eating well the other 6 days worth it! I actually want to eat as well as possible because I am fully aware of the fat involved in that one meal! And we all indulge in something, whether fatty or sweet, and that's what makes it all worthwhile! :)
So don't go on a diet, diets can fail! Develop a plan that will enable you to shed pounds, yet also enables you to enjoy your food. LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO GIVE UP EVERY GOODIE! And if you're working out, an indulgence here and there won't sabotage your efforts. :)
I know you'll get back on track, everyone here will help with that. And you might want to check out the weightloss check-in. I just joined it a few weeks ago and I love the accountability and the support from the others also trying to lose some pounds. So check it out. Usually it posts as "weightloss check-in", but this week you'll find it under "weightloss?"
Good luck, and I'll look for you on the check-in :)
Donna

Hi Anat, 1400-1500 calories seems low if you're exercising 4 days a week. This may be why you stopped losing weight (before you became discouraged). I think it's a great idea that your meeting with a dietician. She will recommend the proper amount of calories you need. A healthy active woman usually requires 1800-2000 calories a day.

And don't worry so much about 7 lbs. It'll come off... just keep exercising!

marnie

RE: one idea

Anat,
When I get like this, which is often and may be work, food, or exercise, I play mind games with myself and set very very short term "band aid" goals. I tell myself, "I can go the gym and just do half the class and go home." Then I always end up doing the whole thing. Or, "I am not going to eat any junk just for Monday, then I can eat junk on Tuesday." Then tuesday comes, and I say, "just one more day, then I can" and so on. The shorter term and achievable your goals are, the more likely you will succeed, and that success spurs you on to keep going. Celebrate your successes and forgive your stumbles! Also, reward yourself in other ways. "If I eat clean for at least half the days over the next two weeks, I get to: 'go get a 20 minute massage' or 'buy a new Cathe tape' or 'buy a new pair of jeans' etc. etc. etc. Don't think in terms of what you can't do. Think of terms of what you did do. Example:
I will eat clean vs. I won't eat junk
I will succeed in working out 3 days this week vs. I won't be a couchpotato
One last idea: put a smiley face on every day of your calendar you meet your goals. Those smiley faces can really really make you feel good about yourself by the end of the month!!!

Just some ideas some may think goofy but work for me. :)

Anat,

I think one of the first things you need to change is your mindset about food - eating bad foods doesn't make you "bad," just as eating good food doesn't make you "good."

It kind of sounds like you punish yourself for what you think are your failures (losing weight).

Let me tell you, it is SO easy to eat poorly. Last October we moved into our house and my eating just went down the toilet in a month's time. It's been a struggle to eat good foods again.

I was on a plateau for about 9 months where I was exercising like crazy, but wasn't losing any weight.

Just think about how great you feel when you exercise. Don't think of exercise and dieting as a means to an end, but something you will do for life, like shower and brush your teeth.

Lastly, hang in there and if you need support, the wonderful ladies on this forum will be here for you to give encouragement or just a shoulder to "cry" on.

Hi, Anat, I am in complete agreement with the peanut gallery! I went on a 1600 calorie diet not too long ago and it was great at first but suddenly I could think of nothing but food! I eat 1900 calories minimum now and a treat when I feel like it. A little Ben and Jerry's tonight. Most of the time, it's clean and lean for me but sometimes a treat is all that satisfies. Having a healthy lifestyle doesn't mean we can't indulge. It means we balance our indulgances with sensible choices. Note I said sensible. The people who think eating for longevity isn't a tasty propsition have never eaten one of my meals!:) Don't beat yourself up. Just regroup and start tomorrow. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Bobbi http://www.plauder-smilies.de/chicken.gif Chicks Rule!

thank you all for the great advice !

I appreciate you taking your time to answer !

Take care,
Anat.

RE: thank you all for the great advice !

Another vote with the majority here - your words describe so well the viscious cycle of being on a diet that just doesn't fit. There's another thread here about nutrition books and "Intuitive Eating" is a fantastic book. Eat to feel energized, good, and happy plus enjoying your exercise will make you feel and look GREAT! Go for it! You can do it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.