Standard Bar vs. Olympic bar?

LizO66

Cathlete
What's the preference? I'd like to get a plate rack, but I have to decide if I want to stay standard or go to olympic. I think the latter may be too huge, but I could be wrong.

What do most of you ladies use??

I LOVE the Troy lite bar :D and highly recommend that. I bought the bar online but found plates locally to save on shipping costs. DH has an Olympic one (6' long, 40 lbs) and I never touch it. I find too hard to balance the weight because of the additional length.

I prefer the 1" size.

I use the 1" bar and Troy rubber-coated weight plates. I prefer a lighter bar so that I can easily calculate the total weight that I'm lifting. I also dislike the spring collars and use quick collars instead.

Also, be aware that some barbells use threaded collars, which take too much time when you're switching weights during a video.

I recently purchased an ez-grip bar for bicep curls. I find that the straight bar puts too much stress on my wrists at heavier weights. Something you may want to consider.

Good luck!

I also have a Troy lite set (actually, two of them! To make the weight changes in PLB easier). I love it/them!

I would definitley NOT want an Olympic bar for home use. As Jonahnah said, they weight 40-45# just by themselves. They also take weight plates with a 2" opening (vs. 1"), and they are long.

Depends entirely on what you're using it for..

I have the troy bar for basic upper body or endurance work.. its very lite, easiest to load up.. I use it for up to about 60#..

I also have a CAP 1" barbell.. weights 15# and is threaded. Pain in the ass--yes, but its good for loading up to the early hundreds and I use it heavy for deadlifts, benches and such as it's easier to wrap my hands around.

The olympic BB weighs 45# and is unbeatable for heavy leg lifts. You need a squat rack of course, but its great for squats.
Its best to use for heavy weight work where the BB is on your BACK.

I say this because the CAP threaded BB, im assuming because of its shorter length and (more so) cuz of its smaller diameter, feels a lot heavier on your back than the olympic, which balances heavier weights nicely.

So all three have their respective place, it just depends on what you'll be using the BB for :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.