Stability Ball

binky2017

Cathlete
I got a stability ball that is 55cm (which is what I read that ppl below 5'6" should use) it seems as though it is a lot smaller that the ones that Cathe uses. I was wondering if I should have got a larger ball(I'm 5'4")? What info did I miss before I ordered????

Becky

I am 5' 5.5" and I have a 55cm ball. I bought a 65 and it was too large. What brand did you purchase? What I have noticed is that different brands that claim to be 55 cm are actually different in size when you inflate them. I had trial and error and ended up taking back 2 before I finally found the one that worked for me.

I hope this is helpful to you,
Jenn

That's really interesting because I ordered one from Dick's Sporting Goods for my height(5'7") and it seems to small. I thought about sending it back but then thought that it was just me. But it just doesn't seem like it's big enough.
Wendy

The height requirements for the stability balls are just general guidelines. Leg length is really what matters when choosing the correct size ball. If you have long legs, then you might need a larger ball. I'm 5'7" but need a 65cm ball because I have long legs. You want your hips to be level with or slightly higher than your knees.

In addition, as some other people pointed out, not all brands of stability balls blow up the same. I purchased the 65cm burst resistant version of the GoFit and TKO stability balls on Amazon.com (on sale + free shipping w/$25) and I really like them.

Hope that helps.

One other consideration--is your ball fully inflated? You should measure 55cm from a wall to another solid object and then put the ball inbetween to check. I'm about the same height as you (just under 5'5"), and I actually had to deflate my new Theraband ball slightly so that my hips wouldn't be higher than my knees when seated on the ball.

I checked. My hips are slightly lower than my knees. I'm so glad that I have everyone to help me with my questions if/when I have them!

Becky:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.