Squats on a 2x4???

kandeycane

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-29-02 AT 01:54PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi everyone

I was just wondering the purpose of using a 2x4 under your heels during squats. I first saw this in firm vids and was wondering if anyone knew if it helps??? I notice Cathe does them just regular flat footed.. I tried the squats in PH and MIS with the 2x4 and i seem to feel them more in my quads and less lower back pain then when i do them "regular" .. any input .. suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks

Hi, Kandeykane! Personally, I wouldn't do squats with my heels on a 2X4 if you put a gun to my head. Yes, you'll feel it more in your quads, and you'll also stand an excellent chance of overstressing the anterior part of the knee capsule at the same time, not to mention decreasing the workload and benefits of the squat in the hamstring/glute region. In fact, it usually takes a lot of practice to press up out of a squat thru the hamstrings and glutes rather than keeping all your weight forward.

Just my $.02 . . .

Annette

I actually find that using a 2x4 helps my form. I am better able to press through my heel.

However, I only use it for FIRM vol.1 which was my initiation to strength training. (I've been doing this tape for 14 years using the 2x4 AND I run about 25 miles per week and have no knee problems.)

I have tried to use a 2x4 during Cathe's tapes and had to lower my weights because it made me work harder.

I think Susan Harris (the lead in FIRM Vol.1) mentioned that the 2x4 helps those with shorter achilles tendons to get a full range of motion.

I have also seen weight lifters at gyms place plates under their heels to achieve the same effect as a 2x4.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

I agree with Annette. While the benefits of using the block of wood are iffy, the excess stress on the knee joint is a certainty. I think it just makes you feel like you're doing a "better" squat because you can go deeper.

Hi!

Placing blocks under your heels is not recommended form for squats. Elevating the heels shortens the knee-toe line during the exercise and increases the risk of knee injury. Maintaining the knee-toe line (not allowing your knees to extend over your toes) reduces the stress on the knee.

Generally speaking, if someone feels more comfortable elevating their heels during squats it is because they have limited Achilles tendon flexibility. Adding additional tendon stretches is a much better approach than using blocks.

Achilles stretch:
1. Stand upright, head neutral, shoulders back, one leg a comfortable distance in front of the other, knees facing straight ahead, toes facing directly forward, feet shoulder width apart.

2. bend the front knee, while keeping the rear knee straight.

3. do not allow the heels to lift off the floor.

4. bend to a position that allows for a "comfortable" stretch.

5. switch legs and repeat.

As you work on increasing your Achilles tendon flexibility, remember that form is the most important factor when doing squats - Not how low you can go. Move through your range of motion while maintaining strict form.

Debbie Russo

After reading some recent articles it seems elevating the heels during squats is outdated and ill-advised.

However, although form IS the key to performing this exercise properly, it DOES matter how low you go.

If your legs do not at least form a 90 degree angle, where your thighs are parallel to the floor, you will not get the full effect of the exercise. The lower you go (with proper form), the more muscle fibers you recruit during the move.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

When doing squats, or any exercise for that matter, working through a complete range of motion is what you should aim for; however, complete ROM for one person is not the same for the next. You should never sacrifice proper form for an increased ROM.

When doing squats, 90 degrees is the lowest anyone, no matter how great their ROM, should drop. Going lower than 90 degrees comprises safety and puts a great strain on the knee.

I believe Cathe mentions the difference in individual ROM in several of her tapes.

So if you have difficulty keeping your heels on the floor, stop the downward motion when you feel that your heels want to lift, and then push through your heels in the upward motion.

Hope this helps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.