Squat tips?

lainiefig

Cathlete
I have been having a really hard time with squats since having my latest baby. I just can't seem to get my form right and I don't want to do them wrong since I have wonky knees.

What happens is when I squat back with the weight in my heels, my booty back, and knees over ankles, I wobble. I really do feel like a weeble wobble and I do wobble but I don't fall down--but feel like I'm just about to fall down. I have tried putting my hands out forward and it doesn't seem to help much. I don't know what the deal is since I could squat before this baby. I think it's just that my weight is all shifted around postpartum or something.

Anyone have an issue like this? Any tips on how to squat properly without weeble-wobbling?

Hey Lanie - Try keeping your knees over your toes instead of your ankles. It's a more natural position, and won't badly affect your knees if you're keeping your feet flat.

Yes, I had trouble wobbling too. But I just have to pretend that my heels are bolted to the floor. Before I come up from the squat, I even lift my toes up a little bit and push my heels into the floor. I really really poke my butt out too. (I am painting such an attractive picture, I know!) Sticking the butt way out and lifting my chest up and pushing heels into the the floor really helps. I think it takes a good year, though, to get your equilibrium back after being preggers. I still have major problems with one-legged dead lifts, and my little one is almost 18 months old! :eek:

Thanks, Gayle. I will try that--I wasn't sure if that was o.k.--I know they always say not to have your knees in front of your toes.

It's probably my big bootay. When they say stick your butt out they aren't picturing my luscious round muffins. :p

Simulposted with you, Stephanie! Yeah, I am good at the sticking out the booty--will keep the other tips in mind, too. I feel like I'm a beginner again with my workouts, though I can at least still do a complex step workout without a problem.

Lainie - are you squatting with a barbell or dumbbells...or do you seem to have the problem with either? You could always try a weighted vest (or no weight) until your form is spot-on. Maybe go for more endurance (low weights/high reps) on squats as opposed to strength (heavy weights). I was also going to suggest doing squats against a wall with a stability ball behind your back. Cathe does those in STS and also another workout...Drill Max, maybe?? That way, you have the support behind you.

Carrie

I've been using dumbbells (doing ChaLEAN Extreme Burn Circuit right now). Yeah, those are good ideas, too. I have a weighted vest (only 10 lbs but I could use that and lighter dumbbells maybe).

I knew y'all would have some good tips for me!

I've been using dumbbells (doing ChaLEAN Extreme Burn Circuit right now). Yeah, those are good ideas, too. I have a weighted vest (only 10 lbs but I could use that and lighter dumbbells maybe).

I knew y'all would have some good tips for me!

I'm doing Chalean extreme too! My second round of it. I started with Push phase this time. There's one Push workout where they do heel squats and she really explains how to do them without feeling wobbly or knees hurting. I do the squats with the weighted vest and 20 lb dumbbells because I really wanted to go heavy. Maybe the vest helps me not to wobble...

I think it's great you can do complex step right now! I started back with step right after Charlie was born (well eight weeks or so) and I fell and killed my ankle. Worst sprain EVER. I then traded all my step workouts. :eek: I'm a total clutz.

Do you like Chalean? I really enjoy it.

I have to admit that I have to take breaks between every couple of step segments because my cardio power is not up to scratch yet, but I don't have a problem with the footwork, at least. Funny thing, I am a clumsy person but not at everything.

Yeah, I really like Chalean Extreme. Chalene is a very likable personality and the workouts are tough but doable. I like that she has a modifier, which I really need right now. It seems like all my fitness friends were doing CLX at the same time while I was pregnant and couldn't join them (I know some people still do tough workouts when they're preggers, but I can't).

Just wanted to update after my latest workout. My squats felt better today when I used your tips. I wore my Chuck Taylors instead of my usual Rykas and that seemed to help as well. I remembered that before getting pregnant I was wearing those for kettlebell workouts because I'd heard the flat soles were better for squatting low. Sure enough I found it easier to put the weight in my heels with the flatter shoes. :)

Hi Lanie! Just a couple of more ideas for you..... practice doing them both barefoot and without any weight at all. Just do them when you're heating up stuff for the kids or whatever. Barefoot really helps the balance issue. Second, think about sticking out your butt as if you are a waiter backing up and opening a door with it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.