Spotting/Bleeding during pregnancy

Reese777

Cathlete
Hello,

My daughter took 3 pregnancy tests since last night and they all came back positive. She hasn't been to a doctor yet though, as she just found out.

She just called me this evening to tell me she is spotting - bright red blood. Can anyone share experiences with this? Is it normal? Does it mean she is miscarrying?

:(

Reese

I spotted with both my children for several months during both pregnancies and everything was fine. That's not to say she shouldn't get herself to a doctor quickly though. I was panicked when it first happened to me. Hope everything is okay.

eta: quickly

Last edited:
Holy moly. I know you probably just want to see if anyone else has had this happened to them, . but honestly she needs to go to a Dr. ASAP. Even if someone had this happen to them everyone is different and this is just not the place to ask for such medical advice. I hope everything works out okay.

How much blood is it? Does she have an appointment with a OB or midwife yet?

I spotted early on in my pregnancy with my son, and I called the midwife's office right away, and they had me in the next day for an ultrasound. You both should demand that you get that -- but I am sure it will be an agonizing 12 hours until you get some answers!

I had spotting w/ all 3 of my pregnancies - now I have 3 healthy babies. With the first 2 it was me having an "irritable cervix". Whenever we would have sex it would "irritate" my cervix and I would bleed.

Hope all is well for your DD. Hugs to you all!

Holy moly. I know you probably just want to see if anyone else has had this happened to them, . but honestly she needs to go to a Dr. ASAP. Even if someone had this happen to them everyone is different and this is just not the place to ask for such medical advice. I hope everything works out okay.

No, I'm not trying to use this forum to diagnose her. She doesn't live with me. She's unemployed and has no health insurance. She hasn't had time to get a medical card, so it's not as simple as just rushing to the ER. Know what I mean?

How much blood is it? Does she have an appointment with a OB or midwife yet?

I spotted early on in my pregnancy with my son, and I called the midwife's office right away, and they had me in the next day for an ultrasound. You both should demand that you get that -- but I am sure it will be an agonizing 12 hours until you get some answers!

No, no appointment yet; she's probably only about 4-5 weeks along. They won't even make an appointment for her until she's 9 - 10 weeks. I called and asked today. That's whats so nerve wracking about this situation. :(

My sister spotted heavily around 6 weeks with her first pregnancy. Turns out she had a clot that hadn't "sealed" yet. The spotting was quite heavy - the doctor told her that it would stop once the embryo sac grew higher in the uterus to seal off the leaky spot. Everything was fine - but quite scary until a heartbeat was confirmed by ultrasound. I know of many women who spot in early pregnancy and everything is fine. A doctor's visit should be able to tell you what is going on. Heartfelt wishes that everything is fine for your daughter.

No, I'm not trying to use this forum to diagnose her. She doesn't live with me. She's unemployed and has no health insurance. She hasn't had time to get a medical card, so it's not as simple as just rushing to the ER. Know what I mean?

A hospital social worker can help her apply and the Medicaid to pay for the ER visit.

There can be some bleeding when the emryo attaches to the uterus -- implantation bleeding. Spotting can be common throughout pregnancy for some women. Seeing a doctor ASAP is best. If the bleeding is more than spotting, she needs to go to the ER. Hugs to you and her. I hope everything works out.

OK, I just saw your post stating how far along she is. She's right at the point of implantation, so that could be it. It's probably nothing to worry about, but make sure she sees a doctor anyway.

I had spotting w/ all 3 of my pregnancies - now I have 3 healthy babies. With the first 2 it was me having an "irritable cervix". Whenever we would have sex it would "irritate" my cervix and I would bleed.

Hope all is well for your DD. Hugs to you all!

I also had an irritable cervix with my first baby and spotted for the first couple of months. Your daughter should call the doc and tell them that she's spotting. If she's also cramping, she needs to let them know this too. Let her know that spotting is very common but it's not something to take lightly either. She should get checked out. She's lucky to have a mom who's worrying about her so!! :) Hope everything works out well!! Please keep us posted.

Hi Everyone,

My daughter sent me a text late last night to say that the spotting had stopped. Whew! She also called a doctor's office answering service and spoke with someone there and they also talked about how spotting is normal, but to come to the ER if sharp pains or cramping accompanies the spotting. I haven't heard from her since last night so I am assuming that so far so good.

Thanks for helping to calm my nerves!!

:)

Reese

Gosh that is so scary for her. I completely understand, . . it is such a shame that good medical care is so expensive. I pay $1000 a month for my family. :( Maybe she can go to a plan parenthood or clinic.

My daughter miscarried tonight. We just got home from the hospital in Morgantown. It's 1:14 am. I'm so tired. It's like a blizzard outside, and we almost got stuck on a back road on our way home. We drove about 20 miles an hour on the interstate.

My daughter was sad and confused like her parents are, but we're too tired to think about it at the moment.

Oh my word, I'm so sorry. I've never experienced a miscarriage before, but I am sure it would be heart-wrenching. I will keep your family in my prayers!

My daughter miscarried tonight. We just got home from the hospital in Morgantown. It's 1:14 am. I'm so tired. It's like a blizzard outside, and we almost got stuck on a back road on our way home. We drove about 20 miles an hour on the interstate.

My daughter was sad and confused like her parents are, but we're too tired to think about it at the moment.

I'm so very sorry. How devastating for your family.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.