Speedy change with barbell plates?

intensitylisa

Cathlete
:(Does anyone else have this problem? I have trouble changing my plates quickly during PLB as I have screw off plate holders. I have the Weider barbell and have to stop the workout after every cycle as it takes me twice as long to change my plates. I think I get a double workout trying to keep up with the pace of changing my plates as well as the workout itself;) Whew!

I know this has been addressed in at least one other thread, that has several responses to it.

I have trouble keeping up, and I have the squeeze collars that Cathe and the crew have. I don't sweat it, and just take the time I need to change without putzing around, but without rushing myself (IMO, it's not a good idea to rush around weights!).

Hi,
During PLB, my first plate has the screw holder on. Then I just add the next plates without unscrewing the plate. So, my next two plates go on after the holder on-er. ( I know thats not a word).
This has worked so far!

I have two barbells for heavy weight, and for the lower weight I use dumbbells. No need to switch plates and i like the extra rest between the sets so I can get a sip of water.

If your bar is 1" in diameter, I would try the Bollinger Sliplock collars. They work wonders. After messing with the star collars, I bought a new bar and purchased the sliplock collars from someone on another board. They are supper fast! No squeezing or rushing to keep up w/Cathe.

I have been told that you can get them off ebay for about $4-$6. They are truly worth the investment.

Trina

I have the old FIRM barbell with it's slide collars. I put all the weights out on the couch ottoman and I rest my barbell there between sets. I don't have any trouble keeping up, I even finish before Cathe sometimes. One day, the cat was sitting there, and I just put all the weights on the floor. It took me a bit longer that day.

~Audrey

I have Cathe's Body Max, MIS and Power Hour. I pause my VCR (I am behind on the times with my electronics) change my weights and then restart the workout. Would this be an option?????

Kim

I have those srew on plate holders too and I must I admit that when I saw Cathe and her crew changing the plates so quickly I was rather put off by the workout - thinking that unless I can change my plates as quickly and easily as she does I am not getting the total workout as she does. I haven't tried the IS Upper and Lower Body yet for this reason. However, I am NOT spending anymore on barbells (I have 2 already) and will just have to learn to make do with what I have. I wish Cathe would just take that into consideration in her plans. Maybe you can post a question on Ask Cathe about this. I would like to read her response (hhhhmmm or I could just ask her myself).

Yen

I think I get a double workout trying to
>keep up with the pace of changing my plates as well as the
>workout itself;) Whew!

LOL, I think the same thing, im getting double workout. My heart rate starts climbing just by rushing to change the weights, but I always end up pausing the dvd. I never once did I keep up yet, but sometimes instead of the barbell I use dumbells when Im not in the mood to set up the barbell.

I feel your pain;-) I have the same style barbell. Mother's Day is around the corner and I put in my request. A new barbell from Dick's Sporting Goods with squeezie type collars. It comes with 110 # of weights for $44. Hope DH gets the hint!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.