Speaking of coworkers who make you nuts

OH, GOD!!!!! I hate that! Another Food Network thing...that horrible Sandra Lee says EX-presso all the time. I'll scream at the tv and DH just laughs and says, "You know you hate her, why do you watch it?" Why, indeed. I don't even like her cooking/recipes. I mean, does this woman own stock in canned frosting????? I need therapy.

<<<<Since accents and "pronounciations" have come up, maybe "all y'all" might enjoy this quiz>>>

OMG .. it nailed it .. Southern accent!! LOL .. that was a neat quiz!:7

I used to work at the records and registration of a college. One time we had a student walk up to a desk of one of my coworkers and ask him if we had a "liberry somewheres". He looked up without missing a beat and asked her if that was some sort of Kool Aid flavor he'd never heard of!!!:) :)

Carolyn

I took the quiz and have an Inland North accent. What the heck? All my life I've lived in only 2 states, Alabama and Texas.

"FebYOUary" rather than "FeBRUary" . . .

This is my personal pet-peeve, from my past life in real estate:

"RealAtor" rather than "Realtor", and "realAty" rather than "realty".

The number of Realtors who mispronounce their own title and profession is not to be believed.

A-Jock

Apologies if this was mentioned before, but "grow-shree store" instead of "grocery store". I guess it's legit Southern-speak though...

And the ultimate Bushism: "People have a tendency to misunderestimate me." For us Democrats, that pretty much says it all...

funny thread, i'm enjoying reading after a pretty long time away from this forum.

two that come to mind (and are used by family members x(

choirpractor (instead of chiropractor)

and Pixburgh (instead of pittsburgh)

also, know quite a few that say warsh as well. And a patient of mine who calls a friend "Partricia" instead of "patricia"

LOL!!!:) :)

Good quiz...it nailed mine as "Inland Northern". There was another quiz..."How smart of an American are you?" or something like that.

One of the questions: "Which state is the White House in?"

choices:
Washington DC
Philadelphia
North Virginia
South Virginia

uhhhh...NONE of those are states!!!! And when I got my results, it said "your smarter than..." Glad to see the guy who wrote this quiz is judging MY intelligence.

Oh, I'm rolling here!!! We haven't even touched the Southern Pennsylvanian or Maryland (aka Merlin) accents. My dad was born and raised in Southern Lancaster County in Pennsylvania (rather rural even now). He cheers for the Philadelphia Iggles (the football team)and thinks niny-nine is one less than 100.

When he and mom my relocated to Maryland, I was introduced to a whole new local dialect. Baltimore exists as Balmer - and yes, it's Balmer, Merlin. If you want to catch some waves, you go downy ocean. I had a whole t-shirt with the different phrases. It was like a different language!

Then my north eastern friends who want to prove that they do use all 26 letters, just not where the rest of us do - especially "R". Peter becomes Pita. Pita pawks the caw. But when the light bulb goes on, they have a bright idear. And our national's capital is Warshington, DC. Although my cousin from New York gets bright ideals.

My husband who is from India? He actually speaks better than most but has a really tough time with V's. When we first met he was talking about an upcoming trip to Whale. I thought he was going to take me to Whales. No, he was planning a ski trip to Vail. Still really nice, but not quite as exciting! We still laugh about that today. But even now, he abhors mini wans.

By the way, I took the quiz that Cathy mentioned and it pegged me right on. It says I have a Midland accent which means I don't have much of an accent. "You are probably from Pennsylvania, Ohio..." And then it lists the top three matches - one of which is Philly and I was raised an hour from Philly. Pretty good!

LOL!! It is MELK!!! :p . My DH keeps pointing out that it should be pronounced like SILK. LOL! I thought I was the only one who did this. I don't know where it came from, no one in my family says it except me!!!

For some weird reason, I also say THROWIT for throat. Again, not sure how I got this. I think that other than these too problems I am all their with my pernounciation. :)

Corrie

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
is not an act but a habit.
--Aristotle

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=8313401

My mechanic calls it a "raddyator" instead of a radiator.

I used to get prostate and prostrate mixed which would give a whole new meaning to some biblical phrases.

These are making me howl with laughter! Here's some more:
Draw - for Drawer (where you put your clothes)
Fustrated - for fRustrated
mirra - mirror

My two pet peeves are the liberry and expresso mispronunciations

If I'm not mistaken, I think "draw" and "mirra" are an accent thing. My boss, from England, finds the fact that we pronouce our "r"s at the ends of words amusing. I spent months in kindergarten going to speach class, just so I WOULD pronounce my r's. So I would say porch instead of poach.

And don't get him started on the way we say "bananas".

>"FebYOUary" rather than "FeBRUary" . . .

That's the way most people pronounce it in the midwest. In fact, I don't know anyone who says 'FeBRUary.'

>"FebYOUary" rather than "FeBRUary" . . .

That's the way most people pronounce it in the midwest. In fact, I don't know anyone who says 'FeBRUary.'

I was thinking of this thread when I was watching "American Idol" last night.
TWICE, Diana Ross advised that a contestant "pronunciate" her words more clearly!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.