Speaking of annoying comments...

Hi Wendypipa,
I also work in an outpatient oncology dept. I have to agree I hear those comments all the time. I sometimes think in my head that I am going to say yes I suck at this do you still want me to do it, but of course I don't. It's just funny how everyone hears the same thing. The other thing I notice I do sometimes if I see someone with short sleeves and they have great veins, I think to myself boy I could get a couple of IV's in them. LOL
Phyllis

I never ask that. I usually tell them that I don't want to see any of it and to please not let me see the needle. I close my eyes and let me know when I can open.

That being said, when I was in labor with my oldest son they brought a nurse in from some other place on the floor...preemie department or something...anyway, she stuck me three times in the back of one had and twice on the other before my husband insisted on someone else. He was about to pass out and he is a paramedic! I was in dying, and if I'd had the strength to choke her I would have. But I didn't want to make her nervous so I never said a word until another nurse finally got the line in. I also have to tell you that I have very prominant veins and never understood why she had such a tough time.

I have one other needle horror story, but if anyone has a right to ask "are you good at this" it would be me. So speaking for everyone who has had a bad stick, be patient with us babies who fear you;-)

Dani,

Sorry for the bad experiences. I have had a few myself. I was stuck twice while in labor... not a good time to miss is it?... like you I have beautiful veins on my hands and wrists that are like hoses when I am pregnant thanks to the increased blood volume.... my veins disappear past the wrist. :( My veins roll... so it is like trying to pierce a pea with a fork tine as it rolls around a plate. Anyway, one of my worst experiences was before my D&C... eight sticks... nine total with the IV stick. I looked like I had been beaten on my arms. I was in the midst of a clinical rotation with nursing students and had to hide my arms so I wouldn't alarm patients. :)

Dani, did you make an appt. for a pap????? :) Thought we'd forget didn't ya? ;) Oh, didn't you ask me to send you some info a couple of months back... if it was you did you get it?

Autumn

Autumn, you are funny aren't you! I actually have not made the appointment yet, but that is because of insurance changes. My husbands employer has changed over and we are having all sorts of problems with assurance of who will pay. I don't need to get stuck with a bill. But! I do have it on my calendar for the day to make the call for an appointment, which is when our insurance goes into effect and I have info in hand. Thanks for remembering! Having said all of this, I would have never gotten this far without promising to make an appointment. It was that that let me know all this other junk was going on, and to sort it all out. Tells you how much I use insurance and/or go to the doctor!

Yes, you did send me a bunch of stuff and I am slowly working through it. Thank you so much, as it is very informative. I have been reading a lot! When I do finally get in to see my NP I will go armed with questions. Sometimes it helps to feel like you at least know what to ask. More proactice somehow. Thanks again!

As for that needle analogy...I never thought of how tricky it could be. The whole fork into the pea thing makes sense though.

Phyllis, that's so funny LOL, the comment about the shot sleeves.
I noticed the other day, i was doing a new patient consult, and i actually caught myself checking out his antecubitals LOL.
Sick I tell you.... we nurses are a different breed ;-)

Reading through all this makes me feel bad about going to get blood drawn next time I need it. I think the reason people ask those questions is because they're nervous and they want you, the nurse, to make them feel at ease. Same thing with the funny comments, they are nervous and trying to put themselves at ease. I know that you came here to vent your feelings, as everyone needs to do, but now I feel like I need to watch everything I say next time I get my blood drawn as I definitely do want to irritate the person with the needle.

I feel the same way. I don't make those kinds of comments because I'm not especially afraid of getting my blood drawn (I have the kind of veins that people call other people over to see because they're so fat and juicy.) However, I have friends who are terrified of needles, and they would say something like that (and not sound like they're joking) and it makes me sad to think that they would be viewed with such disdain.

Being in a position to require medical care makes us very vulnerable. The person with the needle is the person in power and all we have are our funny comments.

Jenne & Kelley, don't feel bad or believe those who are terrified of needles are viewed with disdain. Hey, I really do understand the underlying fear, concerns, and questions. When my FIL & MIL had their bypasses at a teaching hospital, we asked how many have you done? Why? Yes to alleviate fears, but because we wanted some kind of reassurance that the surgeon was skilled and this was not his or her first. Most of us fear the unknown and if we have had one bad experience then we fear our memories... reassurance is natural.

FUNNY comments made in jest or in a friendly manner are welcomed, at least by me, but NOT ALL comments are communicated in a FRIENDLY MANNER. In fact, many people are down right nasty. If you have worked with the public, I am sure you can imagine what it is like. Of course, nurses usually see people when there is a health problem or concern so a person may be understandable testy. It is part of our job to handle all kinds of personalities, feelings, etc., but we are human too and our patients affect us.

About funny comments, they do get old. My real name is Autumn... imagine the thousands of jokes I've heard in my 34 plus years... they were cute and original when I was 3. :) Also, sometimes funny comments can be disrespectful.

Happy to know you received the information! Sorry I didn't break it down but just didn't have the time and wanted to get it to you. I just received some info on Bioidentical hormones, I'll share with you once I read it thouroughly.

Ok, I won't ask about your pap... for now anyway. :)

Hi Autumn! I do know about funny jokes/ comments.... I have red hair and people still comment about it! Including mean comments, for some reason.

I am sorry people get nasty. Sometimes I can have a Pollyanna-ish view of other people and forget that not everyone is nice.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.