Speaking of annoying comments...

smoogy

Cathlete
I'm a nurse & I swear if I had a dollor for everytime I heard a patient tell me these phrases, I could retire early.

"Are you really good at this?" When I'm about to start an I.V. Would you like me to tell you I suck?

"Are you the vampire that's going to take my blood?" I have to force myself to smile.

"I'm a really hard stick." Sure you are, as well as 99% of the population.

I'm glad it's Friday.

Ha, ha! I will remember that the next time I ahve to get my blood drawn and try not to ever say those things. I am sure I'm guilty of asking if the nurse is good at putting in teh iv. I'm scared to death at that point because it's the most painful part of being put under. But I will refrain from asking such a stupid question.

Kathy

Ha, ha! I will remember that the next time I ahve to get my blood drawn and try not to ever say those things. I am sure I'm guilty of asking if the nurse is good at putting in teh iv. I'm scared to death at that point because it's the most painful part of being put under. But I will refrain from asking such a stupid question.

Kathy

Kathy

Nurse here too, so I know exactly what you mean. I must confess, I am bossy about my sticks because my veins are terrible. In nursing school, we were excused of care plans for one week if we recruited a certain number of doners. We could count ourselves, so for 4 semesters I tried. My last semester I was told to stop trying. Is that rejection or what????

LOL!! Kathy, you triple poster you!

You nurses can crack me up

A couple of years ago when I had to go for a medical for a Visa re-newal, I had a lovely young nurse ready to draw my blood.
I was feeling as relazed as possible, because I hate needles, until she said "Youll have to excuse me, but Im rather new at drawing blood, so it may take a few goes"

HELLO!!! thanks for that. Its just what I want to hear(NOT!!)

Marion
x(

I'm sure it gets old after a while -- but you gotta know that a lot of people are TERRIFIED of needles (hello...I'm one of them) and they will say just WHATEVER pops into their head at the time! I would love it if a nurse joked about it with me (would take my mind off of my blinding fear). But I guess you have to be careful with the joke telling :)

BTW -- you would LOVE my veins thanks to Cathe! The last couple of nurses that had to take my blood were salivating all over themselves ;-) So I would say I'm an "easy stick" -- but that sounds dirty.

Happy Friday!

Shonie

At least she was honest. Ha, Ha. She was a little green. Otherwise, she would never have been so honest with you. LOL!

Marla

I am sorry to all of the nurses who have EVER drawn my blood, because I ask if they are good at it EVERY TIME I get my blood drawn! I always kind of thought that it was an original question, too (LOL)!! I never thought about what I expect them to answer!! Thanks for the list!!

Jenn

I worked in costume at Yorktown for a year & I used to get great comments--"is that real dirt on your apron?" (duh no, the reenactment companies sell us fake dirt) "Do you put shot in your musket?" (sure, can't you see all the dead squirrels & birds on the ground?) "Aren't you hot in that?" (well gee, it's August, it's 105 degress & I have a hat, 3 layers of clothes & wool stockings on---naaaah, I'm cool as a cucumber)

Funny. I'm an actuary, and every time I meet someone and they find out I'm an actuary they say, "So you can tell me when I'm going to die, right?". Uh, that would be a no (unless they annoy me enough and I take matters into my own hands, that is!!). Or, when the check is delivered at a restaurant and it's time to split the costs, I can't tell you how many dinner companions have said, "Give it to Barb, she's an Actuary". Like I"m a human calculators or something.

SHelbygirl

That's pretty funny. When I worked in retail the most annoying thing that customers said was when there wasn't a price on an item, "oh, this must be free!" Yeah, because you're so freakin' special that you found something without a price, we're just going to give it to you!

Or, when asking for a special deal or voicing a complaint, "I spend a lot of money in this store!" So do thousands of other people.

Or, "Do you work here?" No. I love volunteering my free time on this ladder stocking shelves.

Wow. I just realize how much I DO NOT miss working in retail!

I know it sound very insensitive of me but you got to think. If you draw blood all day, every day 5 days a 4-5 days a week, you can't help but be good at it. Unless you've had Chemo or some other severe medical history , most people are not that difficult.

Once I had a twenty-something kid pass out after having his blood drawn yet he had an eyebrow ring, several earrings and a tongue ring. Ouch!

Marla

I'm a teacher. One annoying comment students make is, the day after s/he is absent, someone will ask "did we do anything in class yesterday." I feel like saying "No, of course not. We missed you so much we just decided to sit around and do nothing until you came back."

LOL and definately Amen to it being Friday!

~Wendy~

We don't stop laughing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop laughing...Put more laughter into your life.

I used to tell them I was a hard stick, because I'd been told that in the past by the people in the labs. Funny thing though, after losing 80 pounds and exercising regularly, I'm now an easy stick! Less to have to go through to get to them, I guess. One of the lesser known benefits of losing weight!

I had to go to the emergency room several months ago and the nurse actually came in and told me "okay, I was told to draw some blood but I'm warning you, I'm not good at this". Wasn't funny then, but it sure is now.

I admire all you nurses for your extremely hard work and dedication. No way could I handle that job!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.