South beach vs. atkins?

groundhog

Cathlete
I have been hesitant to try one of these low carb diets, because I dont think I can stick with it but I am intrigued..which is better the south beach plan or atkins..I would love to hear your success stories. i have the atkins book but not south beach, does it come in paperback yet?? Anyway, please tell your success stories, I need motivation to start one of these. How do you feel on these diets (physically, emotionally, appetite and hunger levels). Weight loss? How long it took to lose it? Any tips? Share it all!! Thanks!!:7

I have never been on a diet except the Slim Fast diet back in 1992 -

DH and I were intrigued about South Beach (Atkins was never considered - we don't believe in eliminating any food group) - we figured it was only for 2 weeks.

The first day was easy, but the second, third and fourth day were very difficult. I am a rice/noodle queen and I was tempted everywhere. I was also unable to work out with the intensity I was used to. My running really suffered.

I wasn't hungry because you can eat as much of the approved foods as you want. (But, how many chicken breasts can you honestly eat?)

Because DH has such incredible willpower (he picked out all the tortilla strips in his salad), we finished the 2 weeks with just one day of cheating. By the end of the 2 weeks, I no longer craved pastries, bread, and sweets.

The result was a 3 lb loss for me and an 8 lb loss for him.

But, the weight DID creep back once we started eating carbs again (and, we went on vacation).

However, we realized that a lot of the processed carbs we had been eating were "empty" calories - the stuff just makes you full and adds a lot of calories. (A large hamburger bun has almost 300 calories. 1/2 cup of cooked pasta has 200(?) and I don't know about you, but I can eat a WHOLE LOT more than 1/2 cup.)

Doing the South Beach diet made us more conscious of what we were eating, and also to realize that you really CAN cut down on processed/refine carbs.

I would definitely recommend the SB diet for people (like me) who think they just cannot live without carbs, and this diet is definitely maintainable long-term.

In my very humble opinion, the South Beach diet is less extreme, more sensible, and is something you can live with for the rest of your life. Atkins is just plain nutty to me.

I visited a nutritionist last year and she gave me an eating plan which I have been following for about a year and a half now. Someone mentioned to me that my eating plan is a lot like the South Beach diet, at least the maintenance part of that diet. That is the basis for my opinion. I know I will have no problem living with my current eating plan for the rest of my life. It basically eliminates foods that are high on the glycemic index like potatoes, white pasta, white bread and rice. I also avoid empty calories of all sorts, and foods that are highly processed. I can still eat pasta and bread that are made with whole grains and are high in complex carbs.

I don't know for a fact that mine is the South Beach diet, but I believe they are similar. Anyway, I know my eating plan has made me feel better and is easy to follow. Most of all, it just plain makes good sense. To me, Atkins may work in the beginning, but it is not a lifetime eating plan that makes sense to stick with.

That's my two cents for what it's worth. Good luck!

-Nancy

Groundhog -

If you're looking for motivation to start Atkins or SBD, you shouldn't look for it externally. If you are a "Carb Queen" by nature, either of these are going to be very difficult at first because your body will need to adjust. And, after that it's not smooth sailing. THere will be times when you will still crave, but not as bad. Just pick either of these diets and jump in...only then will you know how YOU will do on them. Sometimes to achieve results, you have to be a uncomfortable. Kind of like going through labor :}

Atkins was extremely difficult for me because no matter how much I ate, I never felt satisfied. SBD works very well for me because the carbs are not as limited. But, for the first three days, I tend to crave, crave, crave carbs. After that, I find my niche and do very well. I have been on Phase I SBD this time for almost four weeks and have lost about 5 lbs. I really only wanted to lose 10 lbs so this is good. But the amazing thing that happens is I see so much more definition in my muscle...I am assuming because of my lean protein intake. I'm eating approximately 1 gram of protein for each lb of body weight, the rest is low glycemic carbs and fat.

HTH

I think Nancy's eating plan is very sensible and definitely great for life long eating. I started eating Kashi because of Nancy:)

I did Atkins and lost 82 lbs. My obesity was very extreme, and I had a lot to lose. I wanted to be very focused and wanted to lose the weight quickly. Previous to the diet, I never ate meat, drank only regular coke, and loved pasta. For me the Atkins was a complete change. I was also a borderline diabetic. After the weight loss my cholesterol was great and my blood sugars returned to normal.

Another important factor was exercise. I never missed a day.

Now, as for long term - I don't know how easy that would be. I started adding in complex carbs, but vow to avoid the white stuff - like potaotes, rice, white bread forever.

This was before South Beach which sounds very reasonable. I believe South Beach is lower fat.

I do know that you have to be totally comitted. The idea of eating bacon for breakfast and then having a hot fudge sundae later in the day sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.

Good Luck! :)

My husband lost 20 lbs in one month with the Adkins diet. So I think it is good for quick weight loss. Now he is doing the South Beach. He pretty much skipped the 2 week Phase 1. He has been able to maintain his weight loss at this level. I think South beach is so much healthier. South Beach keeps the fat lower and adds in some healthy carbs and fiber. There is so much fat in Adkins. After he started it I began to buy lower fat proteins as I know he has a family history of heart disease. This may have made some difference as well. Now he does not adhere to South Beach so he maybe could still be experiencing some weight loss if he did. We go to Mac Dona alds and he has the french fries and a shake. This is not often though. I keep South Beach friendly snacks for him. I really do not think he needs to lose anymore weight. I know he has been as low as he was when we me over 30 years ago. So Adkins works, you just have to find a maintenence program.

Diane Sue

another south beacher here!

first let me correct you and say that south beach is NOT a low carb diet.. but a GOOD carb diet. you CAN eat carbs on south beach.. but you eat the good stuff.. tons of veggies, whole wheat pasta, brown rice

yes.. the first two weeks can be difficult. i did a double whammy and not only started SB (i used to be a carb and potato-aholic!) but i gave up diet mountain dew. i did have a bad headache day 2 and 3.. but i think it was more caffeine withdrawal.

you shouldn't be hungry during phase one (or technically any phase) cuz you are supposed to eat often but only from the approved foods list. i ate a lot of veggies and sugar free jello in phase 1!

you slowly add back fruit and good carbs in phase 2. the reason you do it slowly is so you can guage what, if anything, causes cravings.

if you go to prevention's site (prevention.com) they have an excellent south beach forum! i would suggest getting the book.. it does give background of the "diet" and how it came about (not a diet for weight loss at all.. but for better heart health!)

i did phase 1 and a couple of months of phase 2 before i ever had a cheat treat! you can find lots of recipes to make meals interesting. (i didn't use hardly any of the ones in the book.. i mostly used ones i found at the prevention forum!) OH.. and i suggest and recommend a south beach friendly chili for phase one (kidney beans and black beans.. you can't have pintos til phase 2) the good carbs of the beans will give you energy.

i wasn't working out during phase 1.. so not sure about energy.. i mean.. i remember having enough energy.. not tired or anything.. but.. i wasn't working out then.

Just adding in here. People that try lower carb (not low carb) and find that you cannot exercise at the same intensity. Trying adding more fat to your diet. It really does help. If you're worriesd about saturated fat (and i could list loads of reasons why you shouldn't be) then eat more "good" fats. Udo's oil is great. It really does help fill you and your energy level should go up.

Wayne.

Wayne,

That's an excellent point. When I was morbidly obese my diet was almost fat free. Go figure. Adding in good fats like Salmon and olive oil seemed to also make me feel full for a long time.

I made a protein shake the other day. I added pure protein powder and water. Drank it and was hungry again within an hour. However when i added fat to the drink, i was full for near 3 hours. From one drink. Fat is filling. And i think, the missing link in diet and health.

Dawn, you have a beautiful face.

Wayne.

I fully agree with adding some fat. My fat of choice is pistachio nuts or almonds.

Also, there are little SBD treats you can eat during the day that help: Part skim ricotta cheese mixed with splenda and cinnamon or any kind of no calorie flavoring, non fat or low fat cottage cheese with jello and splenda, no sugar fudge bars. A really good treat I like is the pancake made with 1 egg and part skim ricotta (I cook mine in a plate in the microwave), topped with no sugar maple syrup. I eat lots and lots of veggies and salads. Chicken, salmon, ground turkey burgers and protein powder are my staples.

Necessity is the mother of invention

:+

Edited to say that my workouts did not suffer from either time I was on SBD. If I worked extra hard I would have a yogurt after exercise and that seemed to do it for me. It's a very, very healthy diet.

Dawn is correct, of course. I forgot to mention the low fat aspect of my eating plan, which I'm sure is an important part of the South Beach diet. (I hate the word diet. It's about changing your eating habits for good IMHO).

My daily fat consists mostly of 4-6 teaspoons of olive oil per day, plus whatever fat there is on the fish and lean chicken that I eat. I do eat a lot of salmon which is pretty fatty.

I do agree with one of the other posters, I am looking for a way of life that I can follow, not another diet. I dont want to abuse my body and deprive it. South Beach does sound like the better way to go, I think I will buy this book this upcoming weekend. Thanks for all your info, it was very helpful... I hope I can give up the mountain des ( I know, its bad but it is my "vice" cant give it up but I will have to cuz I think its got like 40 somethng grams of carbs, geez) I think that the bad carbs are making me retain weight (no matter how hard I work out) and making me sluggish. I think I will try south beach, got nothing to lose, right?

I lost 5 pounds during Phase I of the SouthBeach plan. I just started Phase II today. What I love about SB is how healthy the menus are and well balanced. I was never hungry. The three meals, two snacks and desert are spread throughout the day so that it seems as though you are always eating!! I was so worried that I would not lose weight. But I did!

Besides the weight loss, I have more energy and my skin and hair look more healthy (thanks to the healthy fats in the olive oil and fish).

I would definitely recommend SBD over Atkins. Atkins is unhealthy.....especially over the long term. SBD teaches you how to eat healthy and what you learn will stay with you for the rest of your life :)

Oh, and the recipes in both the original book and cookbook are delicious!! :9

Good Luck!
~ Polly

Is anyone going to be just starting this program or is everyone been doing it for a while? I am reading the book right now and hoping to start on Monday. I may have to go to the store and get a couple of items but since there is nothing in the house right now it may be easier to stick with.

Is there a check in for South Beach? If not, anyone interested in starting one?

Rhonda

This is the second time I have tried it and this time I'm almost four weeks into the diet. I've lost about 5 lbs this time.

Just a note...you really do not have to follow the meal plan to the T. I did that the first time and did myself a disservice because I didn't like all the food that was included. As the doctor said, you can follow the diet by just avoiding the foods listed. This was much easier for me.

By the way, the Healthy Choice no sugar added fudge bars are to die for. Make sure you get eat your fats...this will help you sustain your workouts.

Let me first point out that SBD is a modified version of Atkins. While Atkins is very strict at first, it becomes more moderate after you reach your goal weight & becomes much easier.

I don't know why anyone would call people on Atkins "nutty." If it's nutty to want to stay slim on a diet that works then I'm guilty as charged.

Also, while the first few weeks of the diet do affect your energy level, your body will adjust. I did not lose intensity in my workouts. I did go down a few lbs in weights, but w/in 4-6 weeks I was back to my normal weightlifting routine.

I lost 30 lbs in about 2 months on Atkins & now do modified Atkins. I take vitamin supplements but I don't find the diet difficult or "nutty" at all. What makes it hard in the first few weeks (the "induction" phase) is that your body has to basically rid itself of addictions from things like sugar. After you get through the first few weeks it becomes like second nature.

I was never hungry on Atkins & could still eat most of the foods I love. Now I binge on occasion & have some pasta and/or dessert without feeling guilty. I feel & look great & have every intention of doing "Atkins for Life."

Maximus,

I don't think either diet is nutty but I do believe every body has it's own physiology and each person has their own tastes. I have friends who would prefer a potato chip over ice cream where I am just the opposite.

I hated Atkins. I never felt satisfied, no matter how much I ate. And, while you like to say South Beach is just a modified Atkins, I feel SBD is much, much healthier. Fats are limited on SBD and I do not have to limit myself to 20 carbs in Phase I whereas Atkins induction phase calls for just that. This seems to work for me.

:7

Hi Candi--nah someone else made the "nutty" remark.

SBD is a modified Atkins that piggybacked on Atkin's success years after Atkins got started. You can do Atkins w/lowfat foods, it's really up to the individual, which is another advantage to Atkins--you can modify it to fit your lifestyle & tastes. I totally stand by Atkins, including its health effects. I feel healthier now than I have in years. As with any diet, you just have to make sure you take the right vitamins.

I completely agree that every individual is different, but I'd have a tough choice betw. a potato chip & ice cream.

A very good book like the south beach (phase one) is called Eat Fat Get Thin. Very good.

Wayne.

Perhaps we should start a thread on here, starting from next monday where we all say what we eat, weigh, lost? etc... just a thought? Motivation?

Wayne.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.