Soup recipes needed!!!

Hello all,
I have recently begun to cook a big pot of soup on sundays to last throughout the week for quick lunches etc...Week 1 I made a chicken soup with brown rice and lots of veggies...Week 2 I made chicken soup with whole wheat pasta and veggies...Now I'm stumped and I'm kinda all chicken souped out. Does anyone know any healthy, homemade soup recipes that don't require too much effort? I think my DH may run away screaming if I try to feed him chicken soup again!
Thanks,
Josie

Hey Josie,

How about a nice vegetable soup. I just made that last week and it was really good.

Sally

Okay, I just re-read this after posting. I guess a "nice" soup as opposed to a "mean" one :) . It's early(rolls and rubs eyes)

This is one of our absolute favorites, especially in winter (you can lighten it as you see fit, but we do as is):

Creamy White Chili

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ in cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1-1 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp veg oil
2 can (15.5 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 c sour cream
½ c whipping cream.

In a large suacepan, saute chicken, onion, and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 min. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. Serve immediately.

Debbie

Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
--Family Guy

Last week I made a butternut squash and sweet potato soup. You can make it with chicken stock and add fresh onions, ginger, and nutmeg. Then puree it all together! Yum
Laura

I love bean soup!! You can make it with chicken or vege stock and I put fresh garlic, basil, oregeno, onions, zuccihini, celery, mushrooms, and a can of tomatoes and it it delicious!! I make a huge pot on sunday and we eat it throughout the week. My husband loves it.

Lisa

I also made a pot of bean and veggie soup. I used vegtable stock and added mushrooms, zucchini,onions, red peppers, spinach, tomatoes, barley and great northern beans. I do this often and just use what veggies I have around, either great northern , kidney or black beans and either barley, brown rice or ww pasta. Yummy, especially with all the snow and cold:)

Becky

I call this soup vegtable soup,but i add ground turkey or lean hamburger meat!

One container of v8 juice
1/2 finely chopped onion
1 pd of ground turkey/lean meat
and one or two bags(fronzen or canned) veggies(i use the frozen with those beans in it)
one can of beef broth(I use low sodium)`

In a big soup pot,brown turkey and add onion and beef broth,,let reduced until dry.then add v8 juice and veggies,cover and boil until veggies are done.I like to use the low sodium beef boyun cubes instead of salt. I like to have those unsalted crakers or a grilled cheese with it.

Amy:)

Yum!!!! Thanks everyone, those all sound super yummy...I'm getting hungry reading this! I really appreciate your suggestions!
Josie:) :9

Cauliflower p uree soup, It does not sound good but is is sooooo delicious & easy to make & very low in fat if any.

Ingrediants,
1 head cauliflower, cored & cut up
1 medium chopped onion
a few cloves of garlic ( I use 2 heaping TBS of chopped garlic)
a little olive oil (maybe a tbs) & cooking spray
1 28oz can tomato puree or chopped tomatos
2 1/2 quarts of chicken stock or vegetable stock

In a big soup pan heat the spray with cooking spray & the oil, sautee the onions & garlice, about 5 minutes, do not brown

Add the rest of the ingrediants & bring to a boil, let boil for about 30 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft. Puree everything in the pot, bring back to a boil & add about 1/2 cup of parmesian cheese, cook for about 15 minutes more & you are done.

I also add corn to the mixture at the end .

This soup also freezes great, I make huge pots of it now, I am addicted to this stuff:7

I do the exact same thing. ALL THE TIME! Here's a few that I like (posting them one at a time).

Lentil Vegetable Soup
1/2 C lentils, rinsed 1 T reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 cans (14.5 oz@) veggie broth 1 T canola oil
1/2 C uncooked long grain brown rice 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, chopped 1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 C tomato juice 1 medium carrot, sliced
1 can (5.5 oz) spicy tomato juice 1 celery rib, slice

• In a saucepan, combine the first 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
• Add the potato, tomato, carrot and celery; simmer 30 minutes long or until rice and veggies are tender.

Original Source: Light & Tasty, June/July 2002

NOTES: I used no oil. I used all regular tomato juice and added some Tabasco sauce. I kept the skin on the potato.

Yield: 6 servings, about 1 C each, 3 WW points per serving.
Nutritional Info: One serving (1 Cup) is 195 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated), 0 cholesterol, 1144 mg sodium, 34 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.

Gayle
ETA...sorry for the way things lined up when I copied and pasted it here!

ANother one:

Creamy Tomato Soup

2 tsp olive oil 12 oz. fat free evaporated milk
2 medium leeks, finely chopped (white part only)¼ C basil, fresh, finely chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, minced 1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano 1/8 tsp black pepper
56 oz. canned diced tomatoes

• In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic; cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add oregano; cook 1 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer; partially cover pan and simmer 5 minutes.
• Puree soup in pan using an immersion blender or in batches using a blender. Puree until smooth. Return pureed tomato mixture to pan.
• Set pan over low heat and add milk; simmer 1 minute to heat through. Remove pan from heat and stir in basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Original Source: www.weightwatchers.com

Yield: 8 servings, about 1 cup each, 2 WW pts each
Gayle

Italian Bean and Vegetable Stew

1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 C) 1 can (15-16 oz) grt no’n beans, rinsed/ drained
1 medium yellow or green pepper, chopped (1 C) 1 can (14.5 oz) green beans, drained
2-4 cloves garlic, minced 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
2 medium carrots, cut into ½” slices (1 C) 1 T Italian seasonings
2 cans (14.5 oz @) diced Italian tomatoes, undrained 1 tsp salt
1 can (15-16 oz) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained 1 tsp black pepper

• In a 4 to 5 quart crockpot, combine all ingredients and mix well.
• Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low 8-10 hours.

Original Source: www.weightwatchers.com boards

Yields: 10 servings, 2 WW pts each or 12 servings, 1 WW pt each

I am really sorry for the way things line up. I have them saved on my PC and print them off and keep them in my recipe box. Then I copy and paste them here when I post them, so they line up goofy!

Gayle

Last night I sauteed about half red onion, diced, a minced clove of garlic and some coarsely chopped mushrooms in about a tbsp of olive oil. Added about a tsp of dried basil, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, a bay leaf and some cayenne (for spice), and half a large sweet potato, diced, and 2 yellow-flesh potatoes, diced. Then threw in five or so cups of veggie stock and a can of lentils, rinsed and drained. Brought the whole deal to a boil, let it simmer for about 10 minutes, then pureed it a bit. It's divine!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.