sore wrists

cocob1

Cathlete
I'm having trouble with my wrists. I've been adding in core work with planks on and off of the stability ball for about 6 months now.
My wrists don't seem to be getting stronger. In fact it is getting harder to hold those moves but only because of my wrists.
What do you suggest for making the wrist stonger?
Am I holding my weight incorrectly? I know you can't see through my TV and check my form :) but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I've never posted before but I have now added your workouts to my library and I love them.
My 51 year old body is getting stronger and my endurance is better than when I was 41.
A heartfelt thanks to you and your crew.
Coco /aka/ Colleen. 51 year old mother of an 8 year old boy. I have to stay in shape to help him grow up!

I'm pretty sure you can do wrist strength exersices. I think one of them is put your arms out, palms facing up and wrists handing down, hold dumbells in hand and pull up - go down - pull up : Does this make sense? I think weight lifters usually rest their arms on part of their workout bench and let the wrists hang down free when doing this exercise.

Am I wrong about this... anyone?

I'd make sure that your problem isn't just a strength problem. Do you have any sort of lump anywhere near your wrist? You could have a ganglion cyst (which is painful, but harmless). I developed a ganglion cyst in my wrist after doing planks and pushups. It was very painful and got much worse the more I did these moves. I have since just found substitute moves that have eliminated the pain (but not the lump). If there's a chance that you have a problem other than just weak wrists, check with your doctor to be safe.

Shelbygirl

Do you do computer work? If so, the akward position, if you don't use a wrist pad, will stress your wrists.
I never used to be able to do pushups without handle bars. Now, at 42, I don't need them. I got one of those hand exercisers. I use it first with the thumb squeezing it, then flip it around with the hand squeezing the gripper. It does amazing things for your wrists. In a few short months, I ended all my wrist pain. No carpal tunnel, no pain doing pushups or those yoga side poses on one wrist. You can find those hand exercisers in any sporting goods store, 2 for around $6.00. If you don't want to get the hand grippers, you can just squeeze a fist repeatedly, that will strengthen your hands, wrists and forearms.
Good luck!

Thanks so much for your help.
I've just switched completly over to Cathe after doing only Fit Primes & TLP's for a whole year because Cathe's rotations alternate weights & cardio days.
I used to be able to do the side yoga pose using one wrist as support and stability ball push ups etc. with out aching wrists until the last two months or so. I've been doing the old Firm workouts since 1992 and never had a problem until adding in the new core "using your body as weight" training.
I'll keep on eye out for "lumps" and look at my use of the computer.
I'm going to check into that "squeezing" hand thing to see if I can strenght my hands and writs.
I know part of my problem is my weight. I've been between 145 & 150 all of my life (at least since 5th grade when I stopped growing)but at only 5'4" that is alot of weight to put on my wrists.
I'm going to check out some sports medicine web sites as well.
Again thanks so much for your input.
I usually lurk here and I post over at WFBN (old Fit Prime web site) at the Near Or At 50 check in as Coco
Cocob1

:7

here's another not Cathe... have you checked the position of your wrists to be sure they are not 'flopping' over? You want to make sure they are in a fixed position just like you use for bicep work. In yoga and Pilates we also use mental focus to make sure you take the weight and pressure out of your wrists by spreading the finger tips wide (like stars) and putting the pressure between our forefinger and thumbs and lifting out of that area. Some people even tent their fingertips or make fists and place the flat of their knuckles on the floor. Lastly, after a re-aggravating an old wrist injury I found using dumbells as push-up bars helped me keep my wrists in the appropriate alignment. Here's to you and the ripped abs that will come from all that plank work :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.