Sore knees??

CLD

Cathlete
Sometimes my knees really hurt after doing the leg workouts in meso 1. I think my form is good - I can see myself in the glass on my entertainment stand so I keep my eyes on that most of the time to make sure I have good form. However, with all those lunges, they just seem to tire out. Do you think this just has to do with needing to build up my endurance? Maybe I should sub other exercises in place of the lunges when my knees start to hurt? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Not sure if this could be your part of your problem, but I know that for me I have to watch the kind of lunges I do. The forward, one leg, stepping ones really hurt my knees. So, I do reverse lunges instead. I can do any sort of stationary lunges, but the force of the stepping forward with one leg at a time seems to really bother my knees, especially if the speed is very fast, like it is in Meso 1 Legs.

Two suggestions:
1) try doing front lunges onto a platform (which makes them easier on the knee, IMO)
2) watch yourself in a mirror, and make sure your knees aren't buckling in when doing lunges and squats (that's a form error that many people don't pay as much attention to as the 'don't let toes go beyond knees' caution)

Thanks for the advice! I agree that reverse lunges aren't as hard on my knees. I think I know what you mean by knees buckling - and now that I think of it, I bet that's what I've been doing! I think I'll try going with no weights for a while too to give them a rest.

Thanks again!!

I'm in the same boat as "clothesminded." (cute moniker, btw). As a result, I never do moving lunges with heavy weights. I keep them light or do them with the vest. I try to stick to static lunges, back lunges, walking lunges. With the other variations, I either substitute, or do them much slower. I never do the lunge-to-front kick thingies at all. Thankfully, squats don't bother me, so I do those without issue.

It was briefly mentioned on the check-in for Disc #3, Legs (the first leg workout) about putting a step behind and under you (?) so you can pick up your weights easier when doing those wall squats.

Can someone explain this to me? Do I take my long step, I'm guessing, put enough risers under to give me whatever height I need, and then put it against the wall, under me? I could sure use some help getting those weights back up.

Thanks for the compliment on my username, NY25.

Yup - that was actually my suggestion. I found using the long step, placed about a foot or so from the wall, worked perfectly. You kind of have to figure out where it is most comfortable for you, and at what height, but I just set the weights on it and it made a world of difference.

Well, you are brilliant because I just tried that and it solved that issue. Thanks! I can slowly get to where I can pick the weights up on my own w/o feeling like my back is going to break.

Thanks for this thread, ladies, I was having knee problems when I did my first run at disc 3 last week. Tomorrow I'll try it with NY25's suggestion.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.