Sore Elbow Joints w/ Pullups

Lynn M.

Cathlete
Hi all-

So, this week to change it up, I decided to do a week of a P90x rotation... I've not done any of these workouts in almost year and was pleasantly surprised to see how much improvement I made on my pullup counts.

That's the good news. The bad news... my "elbow" joints are really tender. Today, when I tried to do the back and bi workout, I had to go down on my weights and pullup counts significantly. I had done the back/leg DVD last Saturday so there was plenty of time for recovery on these.

What am I doing wrong on my form? Am I relying too much on my biceps/forearm in the pullup motion instead of my back muscles?

Thanks in advance, Lynn

The same thing happens to me. It gets so sore that it bothers me when I do bicep work. This area remains tender for weeks after.

I guess I am really doing chinups (palms facing me) instead of pullups (palms facing away). I could do 7 chinups, but the tenderness just wasn't worth. I can't do 1 pullup.

Now, no matter how many times I try, it always happens. I can start feeling it after the first rep.

pull ups

Hi,

I know that when I had my hands too close together for pull ups I got bad forearm pain/discomfort for days and it probably was golfer's elbow. By too close, I mean as my arms hang, my forearms are not perpendicular to the floor. I never get any with wide grip pull ups or chin ups though. I've learned the hard way:( that even though you can do something, it doesn't necessarily mean that you should and you might pay dearly the next day. For me, the weakest muscles always end up injured.

Moderation and a slow build up is key for me to prevent injuries.

Good luck,

Tracy

I looked up golfer's elbow and it sounds like exactly what we all might have. Do you all get discomfort in your wrists too? When I do unassisted pullups, I notice it much more than when I do assisted ones.

I hope somebody has some knowledge about this... I love the idea of being able to do unassisted pullups, but its not worth the discomfort, plus the fact is screws up bicep work! :)

Take care, Lynn M.

limiting factors

Hi,

I hate to say it, but I nursed my golfer's elbow for quite a while. I didn't have any problems with my wrists, but I think they are pretty strong. I know I can do more cg pull ups, but I don't let my ego get the best of me. Like I said above, I think that certain exercises are limited by the weakest muscle group that is involved. If unassisted ones don't bother you then I would continue to do them. What about chin ups? They didn't bother me either and I could do them unassisted.

Tracy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.