Something a little steamy, spicy, and sweaty

catwoman88

Cathlete
And no, we aren't talking about food.

We're talking about books. Urban fantasy, EroRom (erotic romance), paranormal romance, etc.

I thought this would be a fun topic, since the world of EroRom/Paranormal Romance dominates the publishing industry, taking 40% of the market! And most of the readers are women. And what better way to spice up a mundane Wednesday afternoon with a look at a little paranormal romance!!!

Have you read any paranormal romances? Recently? Which are your favorites? Why? Which ones didn't live up to your expectations? Why not?

I'll start by saying I'm a huge fan of the Black Dagger Brotherhood (BDB) books by J.R. Ward. Anyone else read these? Far and away the best paranormal romance series out there!

I've tried reading Christine Feehan's Carpathian series, and while I enjoyed the one book I've read so far, it just didn't compare to BDB. Juicy, steamy scenes are great, but there were just TOOOOOO many in the Carpathian novel. It just didn't feel grounded in reality, whereas the BDB books do. I mean, you can actually entertain the idea that vampires exists with the BDB books. You can't with Feehan's Carpathians.

Lastly, I'm currently reading the new trilogy, Lords of the Underworld, by Gena Showalter. It's almost like a new take on the BDB series - a cheap but entertaining imitation. Better than the Carpathian series, but not as good as the BDB series. Still, it's worth a look (and the covers are definitely worth looking at - hubba hubba)!

So, anyone got any feedback on these series? Anything different you'd recommend?

I'm such a dork ~ I've never heard of paranormal romance. Sounds cool though. I never read romance novels, but I'm thinking of picking one up sometime this summer...just for fun. Maybe I'll try the BDB series. :)

I haven't branched out to Paranormal Romance but if they are steamy, spicy and sweaty then maybe I should :) I usually just read historical romance but have been having a hard time finding anything good.

Yes, there actually can be too many steamy scenes LOL. You start thinking, yeah right, like any man is that good. Some of Susan Johnsons books are like that. Just a few choice really good scenes work for me.

We have a really great used book store that I frequent. I think they know me by name in there.:p But hey, can't beat $1.50 books.

I'm writing down the names of your suggested books. Thanks a bunch.

Paranormal romance - cheap trashy reading, and I love it. I am also reading Lords of the Underworld, I finished 1 and 2, and I believe 3 is due in July. Gotta love the covers!!! :p :p There have been a ton I liked and just as many as I didn't. I wish I could think of some names for you now. One of my favs is the Black Jewels Trilogy and its 2 follow ups by Anne Bishop, there is a romance/love story that runs thru the whole thing, by they are not your typical romance and can be quite violent and dark, but they do have some yummylicious male characters. Probably not for everyone though. I've read a few of the Carpathian books, I can take them or leave them, but not too bad for a quick read. Some time ago, I read a series where the main character was the Comte de St Germain, they were written by a woman, and a very good series, but I can't recall the names, its probably been 8 years or so since I read those. I suppose you could Google it up. I also like Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake books and Merry Gentry books, but as she gets further into the series' they've become more smut and less story. I guess it depends what you're looking for. If I can recall anyone else I've really liked, I will post back. It's late, and the brain's not functioning so well. Off to bed I go.

Nan

I wouldn't say paranormal romance is "gothic", but it could be. Usually involves vampires or "breeds" (feline) "changlings", etc. I've read one of Lora Leigh's "Breeds" stories, and really liked it!!!

I have been reading D.N. Simmons (Knights of the Darkness Chronicles)
Desires Unleashed
The Guilty Innocent
The Royal Flush
Hostile Territory

I would read them in order. Some one on Laurell Hamiltons website recomended them. Had to buy them the library doesn't carry them.

Also Kelley Armstrong (women of the otherworld Series)
I have read the first two.

Bitten
Stolen

Finished the new J.R Ward last week I thought it was good.
I am a crazy reader. I have three pages of books I want to read. When I hear of someone new I add them to may list.

Steph

OMG! I totally LOVE paranormal romances!!!

My favorites are the Dark Hunter series from Christina Feehan, Kressley Cole books, and Shiloh Walker seem to be especially juicy!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.