some thoughts on running form...

morningstar

Cathlete
My preferred running style is to run for short, very fast sprints, really opening up my stride and releasing energy. This is my happy place.

However, over the last week, I have been having trouble with my left hip flexor - I think I twinged it somehow during a run on Sunday, and I think that part of the reason why was the way I opened up my stride.

So, this morning I went out for a short run (30 minutes plus warm up), and noticed immediately during the warm up cardio walk that the hip flexor was a painful problem. What to do? I immediately shortened my stride considerably, even just for the warm up. When I started running, I kept my stride very short and increased my turnover. Pain gone. No pain at all during the entire rest of the run. I kept the same pace throughout and found that I was having one of those days where I felt like I could run forever. There's something about that style of running that doesn't fatigue me as quickly.

Just thought I'd share.

My preferred running style is to run for short, very fast sprints, really opening up my stride and releasing energy. This is my happy place.

However, over the last week, I have been having trouble with my left hip flexor - I think I twinged it somehow during a run on Sunday, and I think that part of the reason why was the way I opened up my stride.

So, this morning I went out for a short run (30 minutes plus warm up), and noticed immediately during the warm up cardio walk that the hip flexor was a painful problem. What to do? I immediately shortened my stride considerably, even just for the warm up. When I started running, I kept my stride very short and increased my turnover. Pain gone. No pain at all during the entire rest of the run. I kept the same pace throughout and found that I was having one of those days where I felt like I could run forever. There's something about that style of running that doesn't fatigue me as quickly.

Just thought I'd share.

Thanks for the post. I'm your polar opposite when it comes to my "happy place" in running. I LOVE Cathe's intense cardio (especially HiiT), but I HATE running fast. I enjoy long, comfortable runs. It's easy for me to keep my stride length short when I'm running long. But when I was trying to focus on speedwork, I pulled my right hamstring a bit doing strides and sprints. I think it was because my stride length was out of whack. I cut out speedwork while nursing my hammie (and finishing STS). Long runs aren't bothering me at all. I'll really focus on form for speed workouts when I start them again. And I'll TRY to behave myself and build up more gradually this time . . . I'll really try.;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.