So, what's wrong with the egg yolk?

feelin_good

Cathlete
So many bodybuilders and those in fitness avoid the egg yolks and just consume the egg whites. Why?

What's the problem with the yolk?

Not sure but I think it's the part that's high in cholestoral.

As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong w/the yolk. It's what gives eggs flavor IMO.

It's high in fat. It has 5 grams of fat and only 3 grams of protein. Egg whites are a better source of protein without the fat. I usually eat 1 whole egg plus 4 egg whites at a time.

Colleen

It's where the fat is in the egg. I believe about 4.5 grams for a large egg and some those grams are saturated fat. So, if I ate about 2 large wholes eggs (70 cals each) at 140 and 9 grams of fat, that meal alone is just short of being 60% fat.

Bodybuilders are eating the eggs for more protein and therefore too many whole egss adds up to much fat.

I still eat 1 whole egg, but I add 3 to 4 whites also. Sometimes I don't use any whole eggs.

Namita

Scary world where we think (as humans) that we no better than mother nature. The fat is there for a reason. There is nothing wrong with the fat contained within an egg. Assuming your chickens (eggs) are fed on a free diet, then the fat is good.
I would be more concerned with the toast or a bagel than i would be from the fat in an egg.
The cholesterol contained in an egg has (now) shown to have very little effect on total cholesterol levels. The original study was done with dried whole eggs that were subjected to high heats and containted damaged fats. When eaten in there real state eggs are the most complete perfect food available.

I'm with you 100% on this one!!

I've been taught that the egg is a perfect food and had to wonder why people think like they do.

Thanks for responding with some great information!

The yolk is the nutritional centre of the egg, it houses the vitamins and minerals. Eggs are an excellent form of protein, the whole egg. The idea of eating a bunch of egg whites makes me want to gag, and why would I want to miss out on the taste of the best part?

The nutrition of fitness competitors is not to be emulated for everyday life necessarily. It can become excessively restrictive and even they cannot maintain it 24/7, 365 days a year.

Clare

Yeah! I'm with kindred spirits. I eat very few eggs but when I do I eat the whole thing...and try to not feel guilty...now I won't. I figure what God has put together let no diet separate!

Trish

I could live off of eggs! The yolk is the best part! I sometimes do have egg whites only and it's pretty "blah"!

I agree with Wayne! And all of you whole egg people. I like an egg over easy on one piece of buttered whole grain toast. I have that 2-3 mornings a week.

Wayne, amazing but true, I actually agree with you on food for once!

I think it's good to eat a whole egg or two every once in awhile. I wouldn't try to second guess Mother Nature. Of course, there's nothing wrong with eating egg whites on their own as well from time to time, or adding them to a whole egg as several have mentioned.

Bodybuilders are probably consuming 5 or 6 eggs at a pop to get their protein in. I would think 5 or 6 yolks would be a bit too much fat for what they, or anybody, are looking for.

I would think they should at least leave one egg yolk in. Whites are so tasteless!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.