SNM: Please help with weight order

trunyon

Cathlete
I'm ready to purchase either plate-mates or additional dumbells and hoping you can give advice. I have 3, 5, 10 & 15's. I know I'm in need of increments very badly. I went to the Fitness Warehouse site and was excited to see they offer 4, 6, 7 and 9lb dumbells. Do you think it would be best to purchase these or plate mates? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

Hi Tina,

I have similar weights (3, 5, 7, 8, 10)as you and decided to add additional dumbells instead of plate-mates because (1)I have rubberized dumbells and would have to buy a whole new set of weights which the plate-mates could stick to and (2)I just like having individual dumbells. Probably silly, but it's my preference.

Trish

Trish, not silly at all...that's exactly what I was "thinking" I'd love to have the individual dumbells! thanks!:)

I own 7 pound dumbells and use them all the time during S&H on rear delt raises, lateral raises, after I've given up on the 8s! Personally, I would have no use for 4, 6 or 9 pound dumbells. I have a pair of 1 pound wrist weights from way back when, and those can help you go from 8 to 10 pounds as well as from 3 to 4, or 5 to 6. Might be a better investment than getting the individual dumbells you mention.

But by far your best investment will be a pair of 20 pound dumbells, which you are going to need for STS and platemates. Platemates can help you on the lower weight increments, from 5 to 6 pounds, and also on the higher weight increments, from 20 to 22 and half pounds dumbells. So platemates are your best investment overall. Get two pairs of each size since you need both dumbells for certain exercises, like bicep curls.

Clare

Either way is fine. The advantage of Plate-Mates is they’re cheaper than buying dumbbells. The price of steel is not cheap and you can expect the price of dumbbells to increase by about 30% over the next few months. Fitness Warehouse has some pretty good prices and is where we purchased a lot of the equipment you will see in STS.

You might also want to check into PaceWeights http://paceweights.com/index.htm. I purchased a set about a month ago ($55.00 shipped) and they have brought my workout to a new level. I bought the pack of nine and ordered one extra for a total of 10 - 1/2 lb weights. These are perfect for adding as little as 1 lb evenly weighted or as much as 2 1/2 to each free weight if using two or 5 lbs to one for one arm work. I was really stuck on bicep concentration curls in gym style at 15 lbs (6-1 count), just couldn't do 20, now in a couple of weeks adding 1 lb every couple of workouts I can do 18 and my next increment is 19.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.