*Sniff* I'm a bit disappointed with the lower body workouts

BAM

Cathlete
....and I don't want to be. I did Meso 1 disc 12, Legs, yesterday and it was a great workout. I do love the variety - the fact that you don't do same sets of exercises but move to a different one each time. My quads were really worked. There was some floorwork with the ball which I really enjoyed. I looked through the users' guide to find other floorwork for the lower body and there isn't a lot of it at all. The vast majority of the lower body workouts are done standing. I truly believed there would be a lot more floorwork in this program. I don't mind doing standing legs but I have to be careful with my lower back issues. I don't know why I thought there'd be more floorwork other than with 37 or so discs, there must be some amazing floorwork. Am I missing something? I want to embrace this large investment that I made. I haven't done any upper body workouts yet which I'm planning on doing soon but I don't know how to handle my defunct expectations where the lower body is concerned. Did I set myself up for this? Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Bam

I just wanted to say...

I"m not a BIG fan of floorwork so to hear you say that there's not that much makes me happy :) I can handle standing leg work. I haven't gotten the series yet, but looking forward to it on Wednesday when it's schedule to deliver.

Gloria

That's a shame that you're disappointed. I'm sorry that I don't have any wise words of comfort for you. I do hope that you enjoy the upper body work and can get the full benefit of the series.

....and I don't want to be. I did Meso 1 disc 12, Legs, yesterday and it was a great workout. I do love the variety - the fact that you don't do same sets of exercises but move to a different one each time. My quads were really worked. There was some floorwork with the ball which I really enjoyed. I looked through the users' guide to find other floorwork for the lower body and there isn't a lot of it at all. The vast majority of the lower body workouts are done standing. I truly believed there would be a lot more floorwork in this program. I don't mind doing standing legs but I have to be careful with my lower back issues. I don't know why I thought there'd be more floorwork other than with 37 or so discs, there must be some amazing floorwork. Am I missing something? I want to embrace this large investment that I made. I haven't done any upper body workouts yet which I'm planning on doing soon but I don't know how to handle my defunct expectations where the lower body is concerned. Did I set myself up for this? Any suggestions?Thank you.
Bam

STS is more geared for weight training, meso 1 is muscle endurance so you would see more reps and floor work, but meso 2 & 3 are strength and building, so heavy weight training, so not apt to see floorwork so much. That my guess on it.

meezAnimatedBodyshot175x233situps.gif

Guess we'll have to modify

Bam I too have lower back issues so I was guessing I'd have to modify probably quite a few of the leg exercises. Don't hurt yourself it takes to long to recover!! Modify!!

What about the bonus leg workouts - it was my understanding that these were the "floor work" sections? Hopefully there is something in those that will benefit you. Best wishes...

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I hope there are some bonus leg workouts on the floor. If anyone happens to find any, I'd greatly appreciate you passing it along. For those of you who don't enjoy much floorwork, watch out! There are some awesome standing moves! For anyone else who was looking for floorwork, like me, I will commiserate with you. Now I have to figure out if it's worth it for me to keep the entire series. Ugh, I really don't even want to go there. :eek:

Bam

MODIFY

I don't have my workouts yet, so I can't be exact about this...but from the U-Tube clips that I've been watching frequently since they were posted....there is a lot of variety for leg work...

Anything that Cathe does standing....you can do on the floor if you have back issues.

When she holds the paper plates on her knee and lifts her legs out to the side...
lay down on the floor and do the same thing - scans the plate of course - gravity won't let that happen...you'll lose the plate every time. LOL

Any standing leg exercise can be performed on the floor with the exception of calf work.
Don't know what to tell you there.

I modify anything that Cathe does that doesn't fit my 53 year old, lower back weakness, left hip (past displacement), tender knee-ed body.

I've never been disappointed with anything that Cathe has done.
Confused regarding foot work - for sure.
Needed to do the entire workout on the floor instead of on a step because I just couldn't get the choreography.

BUT, I've never been disappointed with any of her workouts.

I hope you take some time to decide whether you are going to keep them or not.
After all, Cathe took a whole lot of time designing and filming this series.
From the reviews I've read of the other 'similar' workout sets - Cathe has them all hands down .....

Take your time to choose... You'll be glad you did!

Thanks Terri for your suggestions. I know I could modify and I am able to do a reasonable amount of standing work but I am a floorwork junkie! I was just hoping that there'd be some really cool new moves for the floor just as there are for standing. The modifications that I'd do would be things that I already know. After spending the amount of money that I did, I was hoping to learn new moves.

I hope nobody thinks that I'm speaking negatively about the entire series. I think it's an absolutely amazing system! I was just looking for something additional that I thought would already be there - perhaps my mistake. I have me some thinkin' to do! :)

Bam

Bam:

It is my opinion that certain exercises done for the lower body as floorwork are beneficial and a must even if you are currently engaged in a "heavy" weight training cycle, like meso 3. So, like you, I may be disappointed.

However, Cathe did show a long clip on youtube which seemed devoted to exactly the sort of exercises you are I are after. It was the bonus floorwork DVD. Find that one and do it until the DVD expires on you!

Then, take a look at pilates which can also feature some unique, very challenging and excellent floorwork exercises. And maybe the squeeze DVDs by T Efflinger.

And no, it is not true that any exercise done standing up can also be done lying down or seated. None of Cathe's meso 3 heavy weight/squat rack routine can be done other than as is.

Clare

Obviously any heavy weight bearing standing exercise can not be done in a prone position.

I was referring to any of the upright leg movements requiring only gravity as the resistance.

Any of those types of exercises can be done in a prone position.

:eek:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.