sneaking workout time

sunnydelite

Cathlete
how do you find the time to workout? i try mainly when ds takes a nap but alot of time that doesn't work because he won't nap long enough. while it was nice outside i put him in the snuggly 9he hates his care seat, so staying in stroller was out of question) and went for long walks. i feel i am getting frustrated because i can't workout, therefore i am not loosing weight as fast as i had hoped :(

I usually work out around 10:00am b/c I know that eventually Gannon is going to fall asleep. I take his swing upstairs to our bedroom (where I work out). Some days he'll just sit there content and other times he'll fall asleep. I am so thankful that I have a good baby this time around. Of course, there are times when an hour long workout takes me 2+ hours. I"ll have to pause it and feed him or pause it and do a diaper change, etc.

Don't feel baby Sunny about not losing weight, I"m not either. I had my doctor's appt a week ago and mentioned my disgust about not losing at all. I was told that some breastfeeding moms have trouble losing and that I'm one of them. Lucky me!

I do short workouts (10-20 minutes). I do Cathes upper and lower body segments on one of the beg/int dvds, various 10 min ab workouts, Tamilee Webb's I want those series, and some Gilad, as well as my eliptical. I use weights even if they don't. I try to alternate a day with arms/abs and a day with lower body/eliptical. So through out the course of the day I fit in 25-40 min. I'm definitely getting results. It's not a hard core Cathe workout, but it's better than nothing and doable for me at this point.

shellnc

Have you tried napping when baby naps during the day and then working out at night after you put the baby to bed? I realize this may not work until your baby is sleeping through the night, but that's how I got my w/os in and I found it gave me more uninterrupted w/o time (usually). PLus, my DH was always home to rock the baby if he woke up or to change a diaper, etc. so I could finish my working out -- it made him feel important to help. teeheehee

My naps during the day helped me to have the energy to exercize between 7:30 and 9:00 p.m. (depending) and I even slept better at night to boot!

HTH....

Amy

I used to keep the swing downstairs in my exercise area and let dd swi8ng while I worked out. Eventually she'd fall asleep. I did at first have to start and stop a lot for nursing and changing but I always completed my workouts even if a 45 min. workout took 2 hours.

I could have written the same post! Due to working fulltime and then cooking, cleaning, taking care of the house, kids, husband, etc. when I get home I have not been able to workout hardly at all and naps are not an option since I work fulltime. I tried to workout during my lunch hour for a couple weeks, but all that did was cause me to catch the flu because I'm not getting more than 4 broken up hours of sleep each night and I'm totally exhausted. DD is a lot more work than DS was. I'm hoping that DD will start to go to bed earlier than midnight and sleep longer than 2 hours at a time. She is almost 3 months old, shouldn't she be sleeping better by now? Please know that I feel your frustration about not being able to lose the baby weight. Until DD sleeps better my workouts are being sacrificed which means my extra 30 pounds won't be going away any time soon. I hope for your sake DS will start to take longer naps so you can have Mommy time. Hugs are coming your way.

Best wishes,
Kristi

I can imagine your frustration:( What I did right from the start is bring the baby with you where you work out, put him in a swing or bouncer, OR on the floor and have LOTS of toys everywhere. He should keep himself occupied. Do you have an exersaucer, or is he too young for that still? My girl is 8 months old and still hangs out with me while I work out to Cathe in the basement. But now she wants to climb on the step while I'm using it so now I have to put on the Teletubbies on a little tv in the same room while I workout. It works well! Another thing that is helpful is making sure he has a full belly before your workout! I did the Classics Vol.1 religiously after birth and I lost everything in 5 months. Each month you significantly saw the weight coming off. I didn't expect to lose til much later. Now I'm prego with #2 and my doc was so surprised that I came to my appt. with all the pregnancy weight off ;-) Before my first I was a teeny size 2, I put on 45 pounds during my pregnancy, that's A LOT of weight! I was only doing the elliptical during the pregnancy though. Now that I found Cathe, I'll stick to that for sure. Her Step rocks!
I hope I was helpful above.....good luck.

I guess I was lucky...Joey slept LOTS during the day when he was a newborn so I had plenty of opportunity to work out while he snoozed between feedings. He also always went atleast 3 hours between feedings which helped too.

Then when he got older and would stay awake a bit more, he was very happy in his bouncy seat so long as he had something to occupy him so again, I had very little trouble finding time to work out.

Now that he's awake A LOT at 6 months old, I mainly exercise during his long nap in the late morning to early afternoon hours. If I am in a bind, I can also wait for DH to come home and so long as he has no where to go, he's more than happy to take care of Joey while I work out if need be. :)

thanks for the replies ladies...
unfortunatley for me, ds doesn't like to sit long in his bouncy seat. he likes his swing but it's pretty big and i hate carrying it up and down the stairs. so i bought a travel swing to keep in the gym room..well guess what? he hated that swing too...x(
as of right now he is too young for his exersaucer. he's just 3 mos. so hopefully soon he will be able to make use of it and i am praying he will like it (my 1at ds didn't) so i can resume my workouts. we also bought a jumperoo, which he will get a Christmas.
ahhhhhh, i guess i just have to practice patience and deal with my big belly for a little longer than expected.

Hang in there, it will get better

I could have written your post 9 months ago. DS hated everything except his big swing and would only nap for about 10-20 minutes at a time during the day. My suggestion would be to take mini workouts whenever you can and maybe treat yourself to a babysitter every now and again.

I thought my son was never going to be a good napper, but luckily that changed as he got older. Once he started crawling he started sleeping much better.

Good Luck

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.