Sneakers

marigot

What are your suggestions for good, high impact bearing sneakers? I've got delicate knees and have had plantar fasciatis.

I would check out Ryka. I just got the KM7. They tailor to women, and have shoes for running, gym, training... They also make some for high arches and flat feet (like me). Just a suggestion that worked for me. Good luck.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but3/lb/203/145/159/.png[/img] [/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/megadoo2

I recently started using Ryka Enlight IIs for step after having trouble with sore knees. I also added an insert and started using Thorlo socks (expensive, but good). I really notice a difference. My knees aren't as sore, and I have great support and "spring" when doing step. (I don't use Ryka for running, though. I've never tried them, since I've always ran in Asics Gel Kayano and love them.) Good luck!

This will sound funny, but maybe try no support at all?

I've had both problems, and recently - on a suggestion - started using Puma's for my workouts (I don't run in them). But for everything else, I've switched to them. There is something about the artificial support in tennis shoes that can sometimes cause your foot to overcorrect and actually exacerbate the problems.

I use the Puma tapers, which is basically just a soft shoe with a rubber sole. It's the closest thing to going barefoot that I can find, but it still provides traction on the floor. In my experience, allowing my foot to take it's natural motion, rather than trying to support the arches and ankles has worked miracles.

I have not had a problem with my knees, ankles or feet since making this change a few months ago.

Just a thought that's probably a little different than what you had in mind.

I, too, have PF. I use inserts (Dr Scholl sport)and tape my foot for aerobic workouts. Right now my shoes are Avia--the 650 ECS and I like them, but not as much as Ryka Enlight. Those are discontinued, but the N-gage are the replacements. HTH

I have never heard of Ryka before. Are they sold in athletic shoe stores? I happen to have a friend who might be able to get a good deal for me.

I don't know if continuing with the non-support option is good for me. I've had the same pair of reeboks for about 4 years. They're a straight forward cross training shoe. I sometimes feel a slight twinge of the PF when I do high impact. The knees will ache off and on. Now that I've started doing step cardio, I want to prevent problems down the road.

Thanks for your replies.

Hi Marigot,

I also have knee problems, and have had problems w/ plantar fasciatis in the past. I've always had good luck w/ Nike - wore exclusively Nike when I taught step (power and low) and kickboxing. Right now I wear Nike Rhythmic Shox for stepping - love them! They have good stability and cushioning - I have added an insert for extra arch support and cushioning. I also have a pair of Nike Air Hava (I think that's the name) for kickboxing & weight training. They aren't as cushiony as the Rhythmic Shox, IMO. I haven't needed the insert in them, yet, but might add one.

It really depends on YOUR feet, though. I recommend going to a good sports shoe store and trying on many different brands and styles. If you can, go on a weekday morning when the store is quieter and the staff will have more time to help you.

Good luck!
Stephanie

>I've had the same pair of reeboks for about 4 years.
>They're a straight forward cross training shoe. I sometimes
>feel a slight twinge of the PF when I do high impact. The
>knees will ache off and on. Now that I've started doing step
>cardio, I want to prevent problems down the road.
>
>Thanks for your replies.

Four years is way too long for one pair of athletic shoes. I think it's recommended to replace your shoes every six months if you are a heavy user (4 or more times a week), every year if you use them less often. I bet just a new pair of shoes with decent arch support will make a world of difference with your PF and knees. I know it totally did with me.
:)
Stephanie

Footlocker carries Ryka, or you can go to their website where they have alot of info and help find the right shoe for you. www.ryka.com.
I am planning on getting the N-Gage trainers next.
I have already noticed an improvement with my new shoes. Good support can make a world of difference.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but3/lb/203/145/159/.png[/img] [/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/megadoo2

Thanks Maeghan and Stephanie,

I'm going to check those out. After 4 years, yes it's high time to check out some new shoes, though the current ones look really good. Learn something new every day. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.