Snack Suggestions Needed Pls!

kblover

Cathlete
Hi all,

I need some help. I am going to a training to get certified to teach a program called 'Body Combat' (see www.lesmills.com for more info).

The training is 3 days for 8 hours each day. I need to bring some food with me. Something that is light enough so I won't get a cramp in my side, but nutritious enough to give me the energy to keep going.

I already know that protein drinks don't work for me. They give me the cramp in my side.

If you have any advice, please let me know!

Thx!
Cheryl

good idea with the larabar! i forgot about them, but i love the apple one :)

all the ideas are great!

THX!

I mix up little baggies of almonds and Kashi cereal (all different ones) and add cranberries or craisins (the dries ones) for a little sweetness. I eat these and sip water for my snacks. I also love the Kashi granola bars (the crunchy ones). They are not totally clean, but better than a bag of chips and I feel better after I eat one.

I also bring bananas and a little container of peanut butter and have some of both. I also bring bread (whole wheat, multi grain) and spread peanut butter on the bread for a snack sometimes.

Good luck!
Jenn :)

Last edited:
How about.....

celery with PB
tuna packets (maybe with some whole wheat crackers)
string cheese
piece of fruit

just a few ideas. Good luck with your certification.:)

Angie

GORP is a traditional hiker's high-energy snack (made from "Good Old Raisins and Peanuts"). You could make your own version of it, using whatever ingredients you prefer (I like raw almonds, sunflower seeds, goji berries, dried blueberries, stuff like that. I also sometimes buy a pre-made one with raw goji berries, golden himalayan raisins, mulberries, pistachios, cashews, macadamia nuts and cacao nibs.

Don't rely just on dry things like this, though, as you could get more easily dehydrated. High-water-content foods (like some fruits, carrot/celery/red pepper/jicama sticks, cucumber slices, etc.) are good as well.

How about a pudding cup? Apple sauce sometimes comes in little cups? They don't need to be chilled either. I like the natural kind with no added sugar for a workout. How about a banana? Those are quick to digest usually.

Sweet potato fries!

Greek yogurt is a thick form of yogurt that is strained more than normal yogurt and most greek yogurts are made from cows without growth hormones. It is high in protein, and depending on the brand you buy, most are low in fat, or have no fat. The plain version is also low in sugar which is good. However greek yogurt may be a little hard to keep cool for eight hours in a cooler. I would recommend juicing! And then bottling up your own juice in a water bottle, making it easy to down quickly in between workouts. Juice things like green apples and carrots and a little ginger to help you digest. Great energy drink! You can juice without a juicer if you have a food processor or blender. Or buying vegetable and fruit juices from brands like Naked or Odwalla which are natural vegetable and fruit juices.

The banana and peanut butter (or almond butter) is also a good choice and something I also have with me whenever I have a long training day. Or an apple and peanut butter.

I also highly recommend baking cut up slices of sweet potatoes and baking them in the oven and putting them in plastic baggy or tupperware and munching on sweet potato fries for a snack. Sweet potatoes are quick digesting, great antioxidants and great energy boosters, not too mention yummy as a french fry!

Nancy.
Witch one have you try? and how clean they are? How much protein and sugar and all that kind of stuff is on them?

Sorry about snack I don't know I like to have nuts, cereal, yogurt, fruit, sandwiches.

My favorites are the peanut butter and the cherry. They are squeaky clean.
The ingredients of the cherry larabar are: dates, almonds and unsweetened cherries.

I love Emerald Coast Cocoa Roast Almonds and was happy to see Target now carries them in 100 calorie snack packs.

emeraldcocoaalmonds.jpg

you guys are awesome! I have so many suggestions I am getting full just reading it - lol. I'm glad to have them though. I think I'll just print out this page and take it to the grocery store :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.