Smoking at bus stop!

If your child has a real medical allergy to the smoke (as opposed to, I just don't like the smell), then you should go from that point. I don't this its disrespectful at all to ask someone to stop something because you have a verifiable allergy. My sister has a very visible reaction when people smoke too close to her and most people put it out before she even asks them to because they realize what the cause of it is (I ,on the other hand, just don't like the smell). I think its only been once or twice in her 30+ years where someone refused to put it out. You can explain to the other parent that you didn't want to tell her what to do but its really flaring up the allergies and politely just ask to put it out when YOUR kid is there (she can do whatever she wants if its her kid or someone else's kid) citing the health problems. She may not believe you but who cares if she puts it out. If she doesn't or you don't want to go to through that route, go to the school system with a medical note from the doctor citing the allergy. They need to go through some effort to accommodate you but be prepared that you may have to go to a further bus stop to make this happen. But a couple phone calls and conversations and even a longer walk seem worth it if it really bothers you and your child's health re: smoking. It will probably be more effective than trying to walk a little further away from them. And honestly, since you're worried about offending them -- I gotta say, I'd be more offended if someone just didn't tell me directly that something bothered them instead of passively trying to move away when it was bothering her so much. But that's me.

As for kids are or aren't going to smoke because someone else is doing it. Yes, does someone get desensitized to the idea of smoking but does it motivate that someone to do it themselves -- I don't think so. The biggest part of why smoking went on the rise was availability, lack of information regarding the negative health effects, but mostly the "cool" effect pushed by advertising and the tv/film industry. Yes, its available but 1) in theory not to be sold to minors and 2) is heavily taxed and thus expensive. There is so much anti-smoking information out there now that I wonder if it has a reverse effect on a minority of kids. And you pretty much only see smoking in more maturely rated television and movies -- it ain't going to show up in Nick or Disney channel or before 9p on the main networks and if it does its on the "dirty" character because smoking is pretty much demonized for the most part. I grew up with some of the biggest anti-smoking ad campaigns and I had friends who knew the dangers, with parents that never smoked, who had friends that wouldn't touch the stuff, and still started smoking when we were 13. Some stopped early, some are trying to stop now. Some people are going to do it, some are going to young, but eventually if its outside your own family you have to let other people make their own, even if you think its dumb beyond words, decisions.

But I wouldn't worry about your own children! If your child is allergic to smoke, what are the chances she's actually going to pick up a cigarette?

You don't need to have an allergy to smoke to have the right not to have your lungs filled with the s**t. The evidence has been in for decades - it causes cancer. Screw allergies - this s**t can kill.

Article on second hand smoke:
http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/TobaccoCancer/secondhand-smoke

Agree with Morningstar, why is it some believe only having an allergy warrants the request to stop? IMO, cancer is generally worse than allergies.

I still think the smoking woman is a moron for smoking around the kids at a bus stop and if she had half a brain in her head and an ounce of respect for others around her, would just wait until they were on the bus to light up.

Mind you, I completely think second hand smoke can cause cancer and don't care for people smoking in front of me without asking me first, but remember even the cancer webpage refers to second hand smoke in enclosed areas, like in an office, in a shop, in a restaurant, in a home as opposed to outside where the toxic molecules can diffuse out into the open air instead of staying concentrated in one place (though it is true, if you put enough smokers in one location outside, it doesn't matter how open the air is, the concentration of particles becomes too great). I'm not saying it isn't problematic, but the amount of crap that is in the air walking through downtown during evening rush hour due to cars and busses is pretty terrible but it would be almost toxic in an enclosed location. By having an allergy, you can point to something and say, here, this is true, I'm not exaggerating it, please help me. Regardless of what *you* may believe, when you're trying to get *someone else* to do something *you* want them to do, you have to convince them that the decision would fall in line with what *they* believe. I'm thinking telling a smoker they're going to give their kids and your kids cancer while they smoke in a public place where it is legal isn't going to get them to do what you want them to do. On the other hand saying, can you put it out when my kid is here because I break out into hives? may make the person change their habits around you. Again, I don't understand why with so much anti-smoking information out there a lot of people smoke, but I think using the allergy argument could possibly appeal to the smoker's mom.

piling on, last year at Halloween there was a number of parents who brought their kids to the door in strollers, or holding their hands, or just waiting for them by the road, and they were smoking, the whole time...it made me feel awful, like for that short time, couldn't you just not smoke, and for your child, wouldn't that be a good reason to stop?

Like alcohol, I really associate that habit with poverty, even if it's not the financial kind, the state of well being kind.

I don't think parents should smoke in front of children, not for fear of them picking up the habit but to spare them from inhaling and smelling like smoke.

I think you could politely ask the neighbor if she would mind not smoking in front of the children at the bus stop. Either she will or she won't. Maybe she doesn't think it bothers you. If she won't that is her right to do so. In that case just stand as far away from her as possible.

Good Luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.