SLOW & HEAVY REPS?

When doing the Slow and Heavy series. If you can completes 8 reps at said weight, but it is challenging...do you up the weight or remain seeing as you have 4 exercises per body part?

I.E. On the bench press...first exercise. I completed first 2 sets with 17.5lbs. The last set I could only do 5 with 17.5lbs and moved down to 15lbs to complete the set. I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of the workouts.

I usually experience DOMS the following day of a new routine and haven't this time around and I wonder if I am not pushing myself hard enough.

Here are my notes from the workout:

Bench Press….Started with 17.5lbs On the last set 17.5 x 3 15 x 8-

Flys….Used 10lbs…..repeat….extremely hard

Incline Bench Press….Started with 15lbs 1st set and used 12.5 last 2 sets

Incline Flys….Started 10lbs and did 3 reps finished last 5 reps with 7.5lbs 7.5 last 2 sets. Last set could only do 6 reps

Thanks!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I am no expert so I will just chime in here with what I tend to do. If I can get in 8 reps with difficulty on the first couple of sets, I stay at the weight I am using for subsequent sets - even if I can only get in 5 or 6 reps for the next or final set(s). I just go to failure and make sure I take the required minimum rests in between. I tend not to lower my weights unless I chose incorrectly from the get go - and I would tend to know that during the first set - just from practice - and lower them.

If I can do more than 8 reps on the first set - I increase my weight so that I hit 8 reps (and it is challenging to do so) for all subsequent sets. I hope I am being clear here. I am not sure that I am correct - this is just what I do. Maybe others have some ideas. Also, keep in mind, you can do whatever you want - it all depends on your goals.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.