Slow and Heavy Series still being used?

Debinmi

Cathlete
I don't (yet) have the Slow & Heavy series & am wondering if Cathletes still use it. If you do use it, do you use it systematically in a rotation or willy-nilly? I'm wondering about using it in preparation for "STS 2.0" & am curious about this series. TIA

What a great idea, Debinmi! I think Slow & Heavy would be a super way to prepare for STS 2.0!It is a great series to have because it is very unique and so provides a great complement to the other serious weight training workouts you may have in your Cathe collection. Nothing else quite like it.

The way I have used it is to do each workout once per week, say for example, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. (I do cardio and stretch on the other days of the week.) I stick with this routine for one month (3 to 4 weeks) and then take an active recovery week. The next month I will do a different weight series - Gym Styles or 4 Day Split for example. I have done this prior to or immediately following STS as a way to keep up the focused weight training.

Although it is an older series there is nothing 'out of date' about the training techniques used in Slow & Heavy. It provides a tough method that is a great plateau buster and I feel just gives nice variety to an overall program. I myself haven't used it more than one month per year, but as Cathletes, we're in it for the long haul!

I found this one on Cathe open discussion page. I just copied and paste. Here is a rotation if you need it.

WEEK ONE:

Monday.....Slow and Heavy Legs plus the cardio portion of Step and Intervals (CTX)

Tuesday....Slow and Heavy Back, 10 minutes of Ab Hits, plus the cardio portion of 10*10*10 (CTX)

Wednesday..Slow and Heavy Shoulders plus the first 30 minutes of MIC

Thursday...OFF

Friday...Slow and Heavy Chest, ab routine from Power Hour, plus Cardio Kicks

Saturday.....Slow and Heavy Biceps plus 1st 6 intervals of IMAX 2

Sunday...Slow and Heavy Triceps plus 10 minutes of another segment from Ab Hits

WEEK TWO:

Monday....PS Legs and Abs plus 30 minutes of walk/run

Tuesday...PS Back, MIS Back, MIS Abs and cardio only of CTX Kickbox

Wed.......PS Chest, MIS Chest, and cardio only of CTX Power Circuit

Thurs.....OFF

Fri.......PS Shoulders, MIS Shoulders, MIS Abs, and MIC only step portion

Sat.......PS Biceps, MIS Biceps, first 6 intervals of IMAX #1

Sun.......PS Triceps and MIS Triceps

WEEK THREE:

Mon........Slow and Heavy Legs and Step Heat Abs

Tuesday....Slow and Heavy Triceps and Step Fit

Wed........Slow and Heavy Shoulders, 10 minutes Ab hits, cardio only of CTX All Step

Thurs......Slow and Heavy Back, Slow and Heavy Abs, 30 minute walk/run

Fri........Slow and Heavy Chest and Cardio Kicks

Sat........Slow and Heavy Biceps

Sun........OFF

Week Four:

Mon.......Slow Heavy Shoulders, ABS ONLY from Cardio and Weights, plus cardio portion of CTX Kickbox

Tues......Slow and Heavy Legs

Wed.......Slow Heavy Chest plus Slow Heavy Back

Thurs.....OFF

Fri.......PS Legs and Abs plus 30 minute walk/run

Sat ......Slow Heavy Triceps plus warm up and second 5 intervals from IMAX 2

Sun.......Slow Heavy Biceps, ABS ONLY from Cardio and Weights, plus second five intervals from IMAX #1

I would highly recommend the Slow and Heavy dvd. Jane is totally correct in saying it is not out of date. I actually find that although I crave new workouts, doing some of the older ones just really make me feel like I'm visiting an old friend. I often revisit workouts that I may have had in my own rotation alot but perhaps it's 2 years since I did it last and it becomes a new challenge again. Isn't there a saying about what is old is new again? Now you have me thinking I need to pull out the Slow and Heavy dvd again. It's been awhile since I visited this one . . .

Thanks everyone! I've ordered S&H. I took a gander through Cathe's older rotations where she used S&H, & noted that she usually (except for the one with CTX) alternates it with other 3-day splits i.e., Gym Styles, PS, RWH, & XT. STS is obviously a Classic 3-day split, which I have, but a 3.5 month commitment is something I have to pysch myself up for, but a 1-month rotation is very doable.

Thanks again for your input!

So thought I'd give an update. I've been using the Slow & Heavy (S&H) series since February. I alternated it weekly with Pure Strength (PS) for the first month cuz I'm very familiar with PS and thought that would help me adjust to the different tempo of S&H. This month I alternated it with the Ripped w/Hiit series. Wow, what a contrast.

S&H really makes me concentrate on form and the muscle "under tension" - I initially had to slightly decrease my weight used as the slower pace/count works the muscle so differently. I initially was concerned I'd get bored with the slow pace/count, but I didn't - I rather like it. And Cathe uses the rest periods effectively with her chatter, stretching and instruction on form and other tips. The pacing of RWH is such a contrast - the exact opposite actually of S&H - it's more for power & strength. I think the two approaches complement each other well. Using both series easily lends itself to Cathe's "muscle confusion" concept she talks/writes about.

Thanks to all who encouraged me to utilize S&H. And if you're looking for a different challenge, consider alternating S&H with RWH to experience two vastly different approaches to strength training!

I found this one on Cathe open discussion page. I just copied and paste. Here is a rotation if you need it.

WEEK ONE:

Monday.....Slow and Heavy Legs plus the cardio portion of Step and Intervals (CTX)

Tuesday....Slow and Heavy Back, 10 minutes of Ab Hits, plus the cardio portion of 10*10*10 (CTX)

Wednesday..Slow and Heavy Shoulders plus the first 30 minutes of MIC

Thursday...OFF

Friday...Slow and Heavy Chest, ab routine from Power Hour, plus Cardio Kicks

Saturday.....Slow and Heavy Biceps plus 1st 6 intervals of IMAX 2

Sunday...Slow and Heavy Triceps plus 10 minutes of another segment from Ab Hits

WEEK TWO:

Monday....PS Legs and Abs plus 30 minutes of walk/run

Tuesday...PS Back, MIS Back, MIS Abs and cardio only of CTX Kickbox

Wed.......PS Chest, MIS Chest, and cardio only of CTX Power Circuit

Thurs.....OFF

Fri.......PS Shoulders, MIS Shoulders, MIS Abs, and MIC only step portion

Sat.......PS Biceps, MIS Biceps, first 6 intervals of IMAX #1

Sun.......PS Triceps and MIS Triceps

WEEK THREE:

Mon........Slow and Heavy Legs and Step Heat Abs

Tuesday....Slow and Heavy Triceps and Step Fit

Wed........Slow and Heavy Shoulders, 10 minutes Ab hits, cardio only of CTX All Step

Thurs......Slow and Heavy Back, Slow and Heavy Abs, 30 minute walk/run

Fri........Slow and Heavy Chest and Cardio Kicks

Sat........Slow and Heavy Biceps

Sun........OFF

Week Four:

Mon.......Slow Heavy Shoulders, ABS ONLY from Cardio and Weights, plus cardio portion of CTX Kickbox

Tues......Slow and Heavy Legs

Wed.......Slow Heavy Chest plus Slow Heavy Back

Thurs.....OFF

Fri.......PS Legs and Abs plus 30 minute walk/run

Sat ......Slow Heavy Triceps plus warm up and second 5 intervals from IMAX 2

Sun.......Slow Heavy Biceps, ABS ONLY from Cardio and Weights, plus second five intervals from IMAX #1
What is MIS and MIC? I know that CTX is Cross Train Express, but not sure of the others.

MIS = Maximum Intensity Strength...it's on the Power Hour+ dvd.

MIC= Maximum Intensity Cardio ... it's on the Rhythmic Step+ dvd.

Linda, now I'm pondering with you... maybe a request to Cathe ... or maybe see if the Fitsplit one could be used as a template.... hmmmmm.... anyone out there have one??? .... ???

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.