Skinny Bitch

hiitdogs

Cathlete
Ok, yesterday I finally caved in and bought the book. I don't know, so many people seem to like it, and maybe I am weird, but I just hated it, HATED IT!!! I kept reading and reading, hoping it would get better.

I know they make very valid points in that book, but it is the language and attitude that totally throws me off. They talk about the dangers of aspartame, sugar, single carbohydrates, Atkins Diet, etc, you are what you eat and I totally agree, I have done a lot of reading and research on this.

It's just the way it is presented with "f... this" and "b..ll sh.t that" where it loses credibility in my eyes. I don't have anything against being blunt, on the contrary }( but this went way beyond.

I do understand the Vegan part of it, and I do believe most of us would be better off if we reduced meat and dairy consume drastically, however, their notion that everything we could want can be "replaced" by soyproducts doesn't really sound right to me. So we'll have soymilk, soybutter, soyburger, tofuburger, soybased fake meat......? And that's healthy? All heavily based on soy, it sounds like Atkins in the other extreme to me. And most of what they recommend (other than fruit and veggies) is highly processed. Just because it is vegan, doesn't mean it is healthier, processed food is processed food, and it is NOT healthy!

What am I missing? Or am I the only odd one out here?

I haven't read the book, but I think I would agree with you, Carola. I think that kind of presentation would've turned me off too. And I totally agree that eating soy-everything cannot be healthy.

Hmmm... I didn't really have much desire to read that book before, and now I really don't have any desire to read it. I think if people are looking for a book on healthful nutrition for disease prevention and weight loss/control, then Eat To Live is a much better option. Just my 2 cents...

Honestly my opinion... I almost finish the book is that this book is misleading

I am vegetarian and not vegan. But feel bad and I feel I should be vegan.

However, I feel that the author is trying to get people to be vegan and not necessarily healthy. I think she does wants us to be healthy but she is saying the only way is to be vegan. I feel that she uses the cool title and style (I actually laugh and enjoy the way she talks.... just funny, that's all) but if I wasn't vegetarian, I would feel I got scammed. Because in no places it talks that it's about being vegan... it says healthy. But the whole book is trying to convice us to be vegan. Which I am not against. but i feel that it's not fair for someone to buy that book and have no intention to be vegan and have to read that when it it looks as if it's about health in general.

She is forcing people to listen to her point about vegan. I am so against eating meet and killing animals, and if someone wants to tell that point in a book, then the title or at least the back cover should mention that this book is about being vegan.

>It's just the way it is presented with "f... this" and "b..ll
>sh.t that" where it loses credibility in my eyes. I don't have
>anything against being blunt, on the contrary }( but this
>went way beyond.

I haven't read the book...and this is the main reason why it never appealed to me.

> All
>heavily based on soy, it sounds like Atkins in the other
>extreme to me. And most of what they recommend (other than
>fruit and veggies) is highly processed. Just because it is
>vegan, doesn't mean it is healthier, processed food is
>processed food, and it is NOT healthy!

I completely agree. Relying on soy products is at best a transitional stage, for those who want 'replacements' for animal products that are familiar looking/tasting. I don't think it's healthy to rely on any one product in the long run, and it's best to transition away from meat analogs ASAP, using them on occasion.

I'm curious: do they recommend buying organic soy? If it's not organic, it's most likely GMO, since the majority of soy is.

>>It's just the way it is presented with "f... this" and
>"b..ll
>>sh.t that" where it loses credibility in my eyes. I don't
>have
>>anything against being blunt, on the contrary }( but this
>>went way beyond.
>
>I haven't read the book...and this is the main reason why it
>never appealed to me.
>
>
>> All
>>heavily based on soy, it sounds like Atkins in the other
>>extreme to me. And most of what they recommend (other than
>>fruit and veggies) is highly processed. Just because it is
>>vegan, doesn't mean it is healthier, processed food is
>>processed food, and it is NOT healthy!
>
>I completely agree. Relying on soy products is at best a
>transitional stage, for those who want 'replacements' for
>animal products that are familiar looking/tasting. I don't
>think it's healthy to rely on any one product in the long run,
>and it's best to transition away from meat analogs ASAP, using
>them on occasion.
>
>I'm curious: do they recommend buying organic soy? If it's not
>organic, it's most likely GMO, since the majority of soy is.

In the book they recommend most everything organic, I can't remember about soy products, but for fruits and veggies the only recommend organic.

I haven't read the book. But if they suggest using soy products all the time, then I don't think I'd like the book. I know there's been some controversy re: lots of soy in the diet, and, well, I guess I believe in everything in moderation. I try to keep sugar out of my diet most of the time... but if my DD bakes something (like the pumpkin pecan cake this weekend), I'm going to have a little and enjoy it. And if someone told me I could never eat a wedge of manchego cheese with a glass of nice merlot, I think I'd have a few choice words to say myself!

I never heard of this book -- I will have to check it out.

At times I eat vegan, but find it too restrictive for my personal lifestyle. I love egg whites too much!

I do try to go meatless 6 out of 7 days.

However, I do enjoy shellfish, fish, and an occasional fllet mignon. I also enjoy Sushi and many Sushi dishes are vegetarian.

I think moderation is the key for a person no matter vegan, vegetarian, or carnivore.

If you want to read a good book about animal products and being a vegan, read "DIET FOR A NEW AMERICA" by John Robbins. It is a wonderful book. The information is presented very, very well and it has a wealth of information. I challenge anyone to read it and not at least THINK about cutting down/avoiding animal products.

I found it to be one of the most moving and thought-provoking books i have ever read.

I didn't mind the profanity and at times the book made me laugh, but I will agree that the language has a negative effect on the book's seriousness and credibility. I have read so much on veganism, that I don't mind a little levity. But I consider the book pretty fluffy, especially for people who already have a deep interest in animal welfare and nutrition. I say it's written that way to appeal to a younger, less knowledgeable audience who would never pick up Eat to Live or Becoming Vegan. So in that sense I think it has it's place. Perhaps not for you, but for someone who hasn't already thought about these things and who is not really seeking it out.

I also thought the nutrition info was aimed at "beginner" vegans, who may be put off by an honest-to-goodness whole-foods vegan diet. I guess this doesn't describe you either! But I'm sure you know that there are many other books out there that you would enjoy. Sorry you wasted your time!

Amy

I must admit the title got my attention when I was at costco and i even went to the website.
I think it's veganism wrapped up in a "Sex in the City" package.
that's good marketing! can't fault them for that.
Most of the people on the Cathe forums seem smart enough not to need marketing manipulation to eat clean, good quality food. that's the fuel you need to be able to keep up with Cathe anyway!
I've heard "Farm or Factory?" where do you want your food to come from? If I can't pronounce it- I ain't eatin' it!!!
BEN&JERRY's it's very easy to say! (just kidding!)
Kim

I agree that eating morning star farms veggie crumble tacos is not a healthy diet which from what I remember was a typical meal in their meal plan. I think a more balanced nutritional approach is presented in Becoming Vegan. However I think they are trying to make a Vegan diet appeal to the mainstream. When most people think of Vegan they think steamed tofu over bean sprouts or something. I think they are just trying to show that you can still eat chocolate chip cookies and be a Vegan. However processed food wheither it be Vegan or animal product based is not healthy.

I also respect the work of John Robbins. He says that animal products are not healthy but he also comes out against junk Vegan fillers like Soy protein Isolate. You also have to respect someone who walked away from his big family busines to presure what he felt was right.

jaque,

i totally agree about john robbins. he walked away from a HUGE fortune proving he believes in what he says. i think that book is a must read for anyone who is considering a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle and even those that aren't. i think everyone should read it so they can at least be informed. whatever the decision after, at least they will have some knowledge.

I don't know, Amy, whereas I think you have a valid point that the book is aimed at the beginner vegan, I have to say, if I didn't have the background of having looked into their claims, the book would have completely turned me off.

I kept reading and I knew they were right with many of their claims about simple carbs, sugar, alcohol, aspartame, animal slaughtering, etc. and I caught myself thinking, if I didn't know you were right, I would totally dismiss you, just because of your language, know-it-all attitude and talking "down" to people.

Don't know, the book just aggrevated me and if I wasn't so much into this already, I think the book would have made me turn the other way.

I don't think I "wasted my time", I don't regret reading it, I just didn't like it and I think it did a disservice to the vegan lifestyle. Does that make sense?

i got this book because i thought it was a funny, in your face book on eating bad foods (i am a bit on the sarcastic side, but trying to get this under control, haha). i was quite suprised when i got to the chapters that discussed being a vegan. i didn't get this book because i was looking for information on eating healthy, i read tosca's book for that. i got it, honestly, for a laugh (the language doesn't bother).

when i began reading the stuff about animals, it really upset me. i knew all of the cruelty issues from years ago, but i have always chosen to take the "out of site, out of mind" approach. this reminded me of the incredibly sad lives the animals live that are raised for our consumption. i don't like to get on emotional trips about stuff, but i do care about animal welfare, and want to do my part. i let my boyfriend, who is a mid-western meat and potatos boy read the quotes from the slaughter-house workers, and he was profoundly disturbed. sometimes just stopping to really and truly think about what sacrifices are made for us is overwhelming.

this book may have been misleading as to what it was really about, but it certainly opened our minds to begin reading up on animal cruelty. i didn't need these silly girls to tell me how to eat properly. i don't know whether to curse this book or thank the authors for reminding me of these things. after doing more research, we both have pledged to be vegetarian for 30 days including dairy. it is restrictive, but makes me more mindful of what i am putting in my mouth. i have a history of not sticking to things for long....which is another character flaw i am working on. we are dealing with the mental aspects of this lifestyle meaning we are not concentrating on what we cannot have, but on all of the wonderful foods we can have. we will be forced to discover so many wonderful vegetables, grains and fruits we never would have be aware of otherwise.

sorry, i kinda went off on a little tangent here, but i have been wanting to post about this book also. i agree that the language and attitude will overshadow the message that they are trying to get across. after the first f word, my mother would immediately put this book down. they do admit in chapter 11 to their motivations for writing this book and its name.

i do have to know how in the world true vegetarians deal with the overwhelming sadness you feel for animals. i know to be an effective role model, i have to be upbeat and positive, but every time i think about it, i get upset. i have been holding all of this in for a week, and needed somewhere to let it out...please forgive me for being so long-winded...another flaw of mine...

boy, after reading this post, i sure do have a lot to work on in my life....lotta work to do!!!

gaylac2s-as i posted before, if you want to read an incredibly well-written and informative book about animal welfare and veganism, read "Diet for a New America" by John Robbins. It is incredibly moving and cuts you to the core.

thanks lorie...i believe i may have read one of his books a long time ago....but i definitely need to read it again. it will be a learning process for us, but i already feel so much better about my choices...lots more salads, fruits, i am also drinking soy milk, and have found that some tastes pretty good.....i know getting all that meat out of my intestines is going to be a great feeling, and my boyfriend has diverticulitis and polycystic kidney disease, so i would think that this can only help him as well...i haven't posted a lot although i have been doing cathe's workouts for several years now...i will be coming here alot more for support and advice from other vegetarians on this site.....thanks again...and sorry again carola for sort of hijacking your post!!

gaylac2s

gaylac2s-emily (materialsgirl) is doing a 30 day vegetarian pledge. there are others who are doing it as well. you may want to contact emily as she would be a great source of support.

Hi, Carola

I totally understand that the language and attitude are a turnoff for you and for probably many people. But I think again this is a matter of audience. I just turned 30, and still feel young, but I've been observing a high school class lately and it's really striking me how this generation responds so much to sarcasm and irony and, well, attitude. So I think this book really speaks to them. I mean, at least it's consistent in that there's profanity in the title!

And like I said, I see how the tone could annoy people, but I really did think they were funny and I enjoyed their "straight-talking" style. I think if the "right" person pick it up, it may really open their eyes to some issues they hadn't considered before and then hopefully these people will pick up some more serious books with better nutrition info. Know what I mean?

As far as it being a "disservice to the vegan lifestyle" I'm not sure whether or not I agree with that. Yes their preachy style is a huge turn-off for some, but those same people might also find veganism preachy anyway. I guess my feeling is that the book is good in that it will probably trick some people into becoming interested in veganism. Those who are so turned off by the style and tone and overall message are probably not likely to become vegan anyway. I don't know, I have to think about this some more...
:p

Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.