Sinus surgery

Abbe

Hi Cathe! The photo of you and Eric is so sweet. I just read your post that you are planning to have sinus surgery; I was wondering what caused your sinus condition and if the pregnancy contributed to it. I am asking because I have been having chronic sinus infections and have been told I may need surgery; since I am also considering pregnancy soon, one of my doctors mentioned that pregnancy can either make the sinus problem get better or get worse. I have actually put off the pregnancy for a year now because of all the medications I have been taking for this problem and have been reluctant to go for the surgery. Thanks!!! Abbe

need to clarify

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-00 AT 02:36PM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Abbe and Irene! During pregnancy my doc told me that its common for sinuses and allergies to act up.

By about 5 months into pregnancy my allergies really kicked in. Around this time I also started to get a terrible pain in my upper and lower jaw and cheek area that lasted for weeks. It became excruciating one night and I had to seek immediate attention. Upon my obgyn's approval for a dental xray, it turned out that I had a very low sinus pocket that pressed right on the nerves and in the root of one tooth. There was nothing more that could be done about this until after delivery. But I did notice that Tylenol allergy sinus medicine, which my obgyn approved, did help this face pain go away. One day the pain in my face shifted to just the one tooth that this sinus pocket rested on. The dentist looked at it and said that we just have to wait it out until the baby was born.

After Eric was born, I went to have this tooth looked at more seriously. To make a long story short(if thats possible)the tooth had a longitudinal crack straight up and into the root which the x-ray did not show. The tooth had already developed quite an infection deep in the gum and unfortunately needed to be removed ASAP(I was atleast grateful that it was toward the back of my mouth). The dentist sent me to an oral surgeon who did a thorough exam and explained my options after the extraction. I chose a tooth implant since this was a permanent solution, where as bridges, bonding etc. were not.

Now here is where things got complicated but I will just get right to the point. The infection that was brewing up in my gum under the cracked tooth during my pregnancy had caused the surrounding bone to start erode around the tooth. Also since genetically my sinus pocket was so close to the area that would require an implant to be inserted, I had to have a sinus lift performed(sorry Irene I don't know what the exact name of this procedure was called). But let me clarify that this sinus lift was NOT actual surgery to my sinuses but rather surgery to move my sinus out of the way of the other procedure(terming this a "sinus lift", as in lifting it out of the way). The other procedure was a bone graft to add extra synthetic bone to replace the bone that had eroded plus create bone in the space that the sinus was occupying therefore, allowing for the implant insert.

Hope that clears things up somewhat. PHEW, sorry so winded.

Implants

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-00 AT 06:57AM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Cathe,

Sorry to hear of your ordeal during pregnancy.

Happy to see you going with the implant. Great choice. I like to tell patients they are getting a bionic tooth
happy.gif
. Kudos, for sticking with the option considering the added procedures for the sinus involvement. Hope all goes well
happy.gif

Hey Cath, when you get to the crown part, ask your doctor if he will put a little Cathe.com logo decal on it! LOL...you did say it was in the back
wink.gif
.hehehehe

nancy:O)

Cathe...

Wow, Cathe, I didn't realize how much you've been through... hope everything worked out for you...

I'm still amazed that you're going to start teaching soon.

Lydia L

I value your opinion

Thanks Nancy! I feel much more confident about my choice now coming from someone who is not only a dear fitness friend but someone who works in the dental field as well. Thanks for your input.

Wishing you the best

Hi Cathe,
I wish you all the best with your surgeries. It sounds like medical and dental science have some excellent solutions to your problems.
My situation is different. I developed allergies a number of years ago that have led to polyps in my sinuses, which in turn have led to chronic sinusitis. I was put on a short term course of prednisone, antibiotics and cortisone nasal spray and feel much better, but cannot go off the spray or else my sinuses will become infected again. It is scary to be taking in all that cortisone for months. One doctor said I should have sinus surgery, and another doctor said that I shouldn't because the polyps can come back because they are caused by the allergies. So, I went to an allergist who said that I could try shots for at least a year or two, but that there are no guarantees that the shots will help the allergies. I tried taking the shots and all I can say is, "Ouch!" I had to stop taking them (and I generally have a high tolerance to pain.)
The worst part of this is that I would like to get pregnant, but would have to stop the cortisone, and it becomes a vicious cycle. Life does present some challenges but I think there is always a way to work things out.
Take good care. Here's a hug to you and Eric...
Abbe

Cathe and Abbe

Cathe,

Good luck to you. Sounds like you've been through some pain!

Abbe,

I'm glad you are taking aggessive care of your sinus problems with medicine. As an allergist, I'm extremely familiar with your predicament. While I don't know your particular case, in general, unless the allergies are controlled by avoidance of the allergens (as much as feasable) medication, and shots (if possible) even surgery won't be a permanent solution. Polyps are notorious for growing back. I have seen many post-surgery patients whose problems came back over a few short years or even months because they didn't control the original problem.

I particularly want to reassure you that topical corticosteroids(applied to the problem area - such as nasal sprays)are generally not nearly as harmful as systemic (intravenous or pill form) steroids. The dose is different by a hundred fold or more. While you should ask your OB/GYN and allergist about this, of course, I and other physicians have had many pregnant patients on nasal steroids without problems. This is generally (again I don't want to comment on your case directly) MUCH better than letting the condition worsen. Also, this condition is generally nearly life-long and requires chronic medical treatment.

Good luck,

Irene

Thanks, Irene

I really appreciate your post very much. The ENT who has been treating me with medications is the one who told me that he did not recommend surgery because of the possibility of recurrence due to the fact that he thinks that my allergies have been exacerbated by my move to an apartment with carpeting. I will be moving out in about 6 months to a new home where I will have air filtration and no rugs. I did have a few polyps about 7 years ago, which responded well to the spray and disappeared. I was OK for 7 years, until moving into my present apartment when I felt my allergies flaring up. I think I may try the shots again (I don't do well on antihistamines or decongestants). What is your opinion on the effectiveness of shots (I am allergic to dust, household molds, tree pollen and to some grasses.)
Thanks!!!!!

OH MY GOODNESS

It's a crisis in the fitness industry!!! CATHE is getting an implant!

Whaddaya mean it's not THAT kind of an implant?. . .

OH.

Glad you explained that. I thought it would be a little odd-looking to just have one.

sheepishly, susan p

Allergy shots

Abbe,

Allergy shots are helpful and have been proven in many studies. A lot of people get away without getting shots because the medications now available for allergies are so good. However, if you are headed towards surgery the general advice is to get all the treatment you can on a medical end. This includes shots. Of course, as I said before, I don't know your case the same way your physicians do.

Hope this was helpful,

Irene

Allergies

Hi Abbe.

I just came across this post, and as someone who suffers from allergies had to put my two cents in. Funny thing is when I started working out a few years ago (I started with the Firm tapes doing weight and cardio work) my allergies got a lot better. It was a truly amazing side effect of intense exercise.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious and you already do these things but I'll mention them anyway. I'm allergic to the same things you are, especially dustmites. Well, I read an article by an allergist who mentioned all the bad things people have in their environment. He said a lot of people don't even know that, if they have old pillows, that 20% of the weight in their pillows can be made of dead skin, dead dustmites and their feces. Ick! I was so grossed out I went and bought new pillows that day. My itchy eyes and congestion improved a lot, for a while.

I recently had to replace a 20 year old bed. I was waking up and my eyes were so puffy and red I looked like Frankenstein in the morning. After sleeping on the new bed the problem immediately cleared up. Dustmites infest your bed also, you see.

Again you may already know all this but I put protective covering on my mattress so infestation does not happen again. There are some good web sites for allergy sufferers. National allergy Co. is one; I think they have the best prices. (I don't remember the web address off hand, maybe dustmites.com? or maybe nationalallergycompany.com?)

By the way, I don't use any medications - only when my allergies flare up which is not as frequent these days. I also use air purifiers. Those also help control allergens. Hope you find something useful here. Good luck.

Cindy

Thanks, Cindy.

It was very nice of you to post. Those mattress and pillow covers are very good. It is scary when you see pictures of dust mites! I don't like the thought that they can be on the skin or in the eyelashes! I hope your allergies will continue to be manageable. Take care. Abbe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.