Signs of overtraining!!Interesting

acatalina

Cathlete
Overtraining
Overtraining. What is it? Its the #1 reason most of the people in your gym look like they have never stepped into a gym before in their life. Its the reason most people don't see the gains they want, and give up right away. Its what you DON'T want to do.

Think of it like this. Pretend your body is a car. Lets say on Monday, you crashed into a tree. Yeah, theres a little dent in the car, but it still runs fine. And then the day after, on Tuesday, you crash it again. Well, the car isn't running as good anymore. Its going slower, and doesn't look too good. What you needed to do, was bring the car into the shop on Monday after you crashed the first time and give it time to get fixed. You see, you can crash your car every Monday, just as long as you give it time to be fixed, and it will still run fine.

Your body works the same way. When i first went to the gym, i knew nothing. I did 20 sets of bicep curls like 4 times a week. Do you know what happened? I saw absolutely no gains, and gave up.

You see, your muscles don't grow when they are being worked, they grow when they are resting. You need to work your muscles in the gym, then give them time to recover, and then work them again, then recover, etc. Each time they get worked, and then recover they get stronger and bigger. Each time you work them, and then work them again before they had time to recover, they get weaker and stay the same, and sometimes even get smaller.

You can do the best exercises, with the best form for years, and still see no gains if your doing too much. So, what do you do? LESS! In this sport, more is not more. Less is more. It might sound hard to believe, but the less you do the better. Now don't get me wrong, don't think 5 minutes of working out 1 time a month is going to do anything. But working out 7 times a week, for 2-3 hours each time, doing 5 exercises per muscle and doing each muscle 4 times a week will do just as much for you as sitting home and eating potato chips all day.

Some signs of overtraining are:
- Getting sick and getting colds more often then normal.
- Feeling tired all the time.
- Muscle and eyelid twitches.
- ...And most importantly, NO strength or size gains for an extended period of time.

If you are experiencing any or all of the above, STOP WORKING OUT and take a week off. During this time, come up with a new workout that will NOT cause you to overtrain, then after the week off, start back again with this new routine.

I thought some of you would like this. It is always a ?

Anne
Aka( Storm)

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Thanks for the article.

A request: Please indicate the source (otherwise, it looks like you're claiming to be the author, which is plagiarism!)

Anne,
Thank you!! very interesting. Maybe thats why I see such great results with less cardio(which always surprises me)
Deanie:)

Why do you have to make comments like this?
Why would you even say something like this!
Do you always have to make a technicality of everything!!

I found this on a bodybuilding site and instead of copying 10 pages, i did this part.
You know what forget it. Get a life.
I thought it was some interesting info for alot.

Anne
Aka( Storm)

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

Some people just seem to always have to be negative, don't worry about it, it is good info, anything to help those who might not be seeing the results they want is great!
Wow Kathryn, you need some help!

>Why do you have to make comments like this?
>Why would you even say something like this!
>Do you always have to make a technicality of everything!!
>...You know what forget it. Get a life.
I thought it was some interesting info for alot.

Wow, talk about overreaction! "get a life"? Very mature.

Why I said this: Well, LEGALLY you can't just cut and paste something from another site without giving credit to the original author. If someone from the other site (who most likely COPYRIGHTED this information) finds that it has been posted elsewhere without giving credit to the original author, you (or maybe Cathe.com ) could get in trouble. (It's also common courtesy to give credit where credit is due).

Also, other people might like to know where it's from, to check out what else is written there, including the entire article, and how much validity to grant the information.

Kathryn,

Just an observation from an impartial observer. You may be right about the fact that the article's source needs to be quoted, but maybe you could be a little kinder in your delivery of the request.

I read it and knew from her title that she didn't write it. I figured she was sharing an interesting article with us, which she was. If I wanted to know where she got the info, I would've asked nicely. Just a thought! :)

BTW Anne, thanks for sharing the article. I would do well to listen to what it says.

>Kathryn,
>
>Just an observation from an impartial observer. You may be
>right about the fact that the article's source needs to be
>quoted, but maybe you could be a little kinder in your
>delivery of the request.

You may be right, JeanneMarie (but you approached me in a much more civilized manner about it!) I mistakenly assumed, perhaps, that the words "request" and "please" would suffice. Guess not! Naybe I need to use smilies more often?

>Kathryn,
>
>Just an observation from an impartial observer. You may be
>right about the fact that the article's source needs to be
>quoted, but maybe you could be a little kinder in your
>delivery of the request.

You may be right, JeanneMarie (but you approached me in a much more civilized manner about it!) I mistakenly assumed, perhaps, that the words "request" and "please" would suffice. Guess not! Naybe I need to use smilies more often?

Ummm, I'm new here but have been lurking for years. Kathryn, I have to say I totally agree with some of the previous comments about your tact with which you say things. You are extremely knowledgable, but you often come across as arrogant and a know-it-all. It's important to be careful in the way words are typed and put yourself in the other person's shoes (and think about how they will read what you have written)

Other than that, you guys are all great!

***Quote by JeanneMarie***

Kathryn,

Just an observation from an impartial observer. You may be right about the fact that the article's source needs to be quoted, but maybe you could be a little kinder in your delivery of the request.

I read it and knew from her title that she didn't write it. I figured she was sharing an interesting article with us, which she was. If I wanted to know where she got the info, I would've asked nicely. Just a thought!

BTW Anne, thanks for sharing the article. I would do well to listen to what it says.

JeanneMarie, I love how you always say things so well.:)

Anne, thanks for the article!:) Great advice.

Thank you Storm...informative and interesting. I've read about these signs of overtraining many times before but it's great to be reminded.
Angela:7

Thanks for sharing with us Anne. I definitely learned something from reading the article. I appreciate you thinking of us, who don't otherwise take the time to read articles online :)

Iris

Hey Anne-
Thanks for this... I learned something new (always do)... The muscle & eyelid twitch... THATS ME! Couldnt for the life of jme figure out why my eyes started twitching just as I'm about to drop from a grueling w/o week...... :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.