Significant strength difference in right and left arms

I have a very significant difference in the weight that I can lift in my right and left arm. The difference is about 40%! (In other words, if I'm using a 10 pound dumbbell in my left arm, I can only use a 6 pound in my right arm.) I have two questions related to this. First, for exercises that alternate arms (like seated front press/alternating arms) can I use different weights in each hand, or should I be using the lower weight in each to allow the right arm to "catch up"? And, second question, what about for exercises where you don't alternate arms (like chest flys)? Should I use a 15-pounder in my left and a 10-pounder in my right - or does that mess up your muscles/form? I hate to use such different weight levels in each hand, but I also hate using such a "light" weight on my left when I can go much heavier. Any thoughts?

I'd love to know the answer to this as well! I do have significant strength differences between my right & left arms but it's not as drastic as 40%; mine is about 15-20% but still, it's enough to be really annoying!!

For me, my weaker side is the left. With exercises that alternate arms, I'll use whatever weight I could do a full set with for the right arm (the stronger arm) on the left until I start to lose my form. Then I'll decrease the weight by about 1% and try to finish the set out. I'll also add a few reps for the left arm to (hopefully) get it caught up to the right.

For the simultaneous exercises, I'll use the suggested weight for both arms until my form starts to go; then I will decrease it by a minimal amount and add a couple of reps on at the end to make up for it.

I'd love to see what other people can suggest and I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who deals with this!!

Hi :)

I too experience some strength differences between arms. My left is definetely stronger. I've begun to realize that even though i'm right handed, I lift and carry pretty much EVERYTHING with my left arm. I'm thinking this probably has probably helped to create the strength difference? I've tried lately to switch off- for example, I swicthed my bag to the opposite shoulder and pay attention to whether i'm carrying all of the groceries with my left hand. It's actually been making a bit of a difference. When doing my workouts I try to force my right arm to use the weight that my left arm needs. If I go with the lighter weight then i try to add a few reps on the right side to work it just a little bit harder.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.