Shout out to Beloved Heather!

Aquajock

Cathlete
Heather, on the Anti-Wah-Wah thread you mentioned a cranberry lemon cocktail. I'd love to know the recipe. Can you give it up to The Bald One?

TIA -

A-Jock

Secrets of the Biggest Losers

Aquajock:

Thanks for the shout-out! :) I think about you every Monday night because I joined an Aqua Max class at the club that is basically Drill Max in the pool! Fun, fun, fun! :7 I love the high-intensity drills with no stress on my joints. We even do firewalkers in the pool!

I am participating in a Biggest Loser challenge at my church. The guy who started this *almost* made the cast for Season 4. He spent a week in Hollywood for the final casting call. He was the last one cut before filming started. The final spot was given to the twin who ultimately won, so Brett is not upset about it. He returned to Texas and started changing his lifestyle and inspiring the rest of us. He stayed in touch with a few members of Jillian’s team. They shared some of Jillian’s “secrets” with him. The girls on the show cannot afford to have PMS bloat showing up on the scale, so this is the cure. Start every morning with a cranberry lemon cocktail:

1 cup of water (cold for me)
a big squeeze of lemon juice (half a lemon for me)
1 tablespoon of pure cranberry juice (not from concentrate and no sugar added)

That’s it! Pure and simple (and tart). I have been drinking this every morning for 2 weeks. I had no PMS bloat this month, and I started drinking this morning cocktail 2 days before my cycle started. I have been drinking a gallon of water a day for years and did not expect one tablespoon of cranberry juice to make a difference. I was wrong. Of course, I might be burning calories running to the bathroom so often. :7

It is important to buy pure cranberry juice. It will be expensive, but it will last a long time since you only need a tablespoon every morning. You can drink it more often if you like it.

This works for guys too! (Jerry, I hope you are still with us.) If your socks leave indentations around your ankles, this will fix that. My feet are no longer swollen at the end of the day either even when I stand on them for hours. :)

Another “secret” is drinking a cup of black coffee before workouts to burn more calories. I hate coffee, so I have not tested that one.

Other secrets of the Biggest Losers include avoiding artificial sweeteners as much as possible (and using agave nectar instead), cutting out diet sodas, fasting from alcohol, and chewing sugarless gum to satisfy the oral fixation.

Of course, they also exercise 6-8 hours a day! It is their full-time job during the competition! Their daily calorie budget is current weight in pounds x 7 calories with 200 fun calories a day.

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

RE: Secrets of the Biggest Losers

Heather,

Sounds like you are having a blast! Question: Why do they want the folks to avoid artificial sweetners? I have always been curious about this, I know sugar free things can wreak havoc on the digestion, but do they say why they cannot use things like diet pop?

Hi Heather,

I went and looked up some of that info just before this question was asked and the recipe I got is a tad different from yours.

Here's what I saw:

60 oz of water
1 Tablespoon cranberry pure juice
1 teaspoon of dandelion root
2 tablespoon of lemon juice

To get the extract out of the root, I place the root in boiling water (about half a cup) for about 10-15 min. Add water as needed. This extracts the good stuff from the roots. Then I blend it and then strain it into the 60 oz. of water. It works!

I don't know if this would make a difference or not but thought I should say something anyway. Hope I didn't offend you.

I found this on the web:

Too good to be true? Lose 5 pounds in a week without going to the gym

Posted: Jul 4th 2007 7:32PM by Martha Edwards
Filed under: Natural Products, Diet and Weight Loss
Have an event to go to in the next few days and want to lose some extra weight quickly? Celebrity trainer Jillian Michaels has this quick tip: Take 16 oz of distilled water, and add:

* 1 tablespoon of sugar-free cranberry juice
* 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
* 1 dandelion root tea bag

Chug this mixture, and do so every day for a week. Apparently, the mixture is a natural diuretic that will get rid of any excess water bloating. Obviously, this isn't a long-term solution but it sounds like a healthy way to fit in into those jeans -- if it works, that is.

Have you tried this?

Tags: bloating, cranberry juice, CranberryJuice, dandelion root, DandelionRoot, detox, diuretic, lemon juice, LemonJuice, water

Again, I hope I didn't offend you. You are my hero when it comes to courage

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

I so agree with avoiding fake sweeteners as much as possible. I know Oprah's diet guru, Bob Greene, is BIG on getting rid of the fake stuff because he says it keeps you addicted to sweets. All I know is the stuff makes me hungry and leaves a cruddy taste in my mouth when I have it in everything. I had pretty much gotten the stuff out of my system and have backslid a bit on the diet pop. I think I'm going to need to tighten up on that.

I wonder if tea would do what coffee is supposed to do between workouts? I don't do coffee.

I WILL be trying that cocktail, btw.

Thanks, Heather! I get PMS bloat quite a bit, and this would be great if it cures it.

Re the black coffee before a workout, don't tell anyone this but in my morning workouts I dring cold black coffee DURING the workout, alternating it with my super-sipper full of ice water!

A-Jock

You might want to check out the february Issue of 'More" magazine for more healthy non-alcoholic cocktails such as Blueberry-Ginger Zinger, pomegran-apple spritzer, orange-carrot cooler and mocha- cinnamon chiller and others.

This really works!

I've been drinking a mixture of 56oz water to 8oz pure cranberry juice concentrate after reading about the benefits in the fat flush plan diet book. I keep a pitcher in the frig and drink it throughout the day. It really helps with bloat and has reduced the appearance of my cellulite. It is supposed to keep your urinary tract, bladder and kidneys healthy too as well as provide your body with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.

I use R W Knudsen Just Cranberry juice which can be found in the health food section of most grocery stores. It is pricey, $7-$8 a bottle, but the results are worth it. It is unsweetened and took awhile to get used to but now I love it. I can't even drink sweetened juice anymore as it tastes sickly sweet to me.

JJ

Thank You, Janie

>Again, I hope I didn't offend you. You are my hero when it comes to courage.

Janie:

Thanks for posting this recipe. No, I am definitely not offended! God help us all when we start getting offended over a recipe! I like the tartness of the recipe that was shared in class, and I would not likely take the time to boil dandelion root at 4:00 a.m. I use spring water instead of distilled water. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but it is working for me so far. What is the purpose of the dandelion root? Do you have any idea? Thank you for the kind words too! My goal for 2008 is to be strong and courageous, so it blesses me that you see courage in me.

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

I just wanted to give you all a heads up regarding Dandelion Root tea...it is absolutely awful x( I really had a hard time getting it down!! I would recommend sticking to the cocktail without adding this. Tastebuds are different but this stuff is just horrible...YUCK!

Chastity

http://www.picturetrail.com:80/chastgirl0205

I agree that dandelion tea, on its own, is a bit yucky. It's just very earthy and has that "dirt" taste going on. I thought I might like it since I have eaten dandelion leaves and liked them, but I was wrong!

BUT I've been adding it to this cocktail without a problem since I can't even taste it after adding it to the other ingredients. I found this summary of it's benefits online:

Dandelion is a potassium rich herb, a superior natural diuretic. Detoxifies, induces the flow of bile from the liver, reduces uric acid from the system, a general valuable tonic.

Amy

I probably should already know this...but I don't...where in the grocery store would I find the cranberry juice.

The recipe is not calling for cranberry cocktail juice, right?

Do you find it in the frozen, or, well where??:7

Do you only drink the lemon/cranberry concoction 1 time per day and then regular water after that? And this is supposed to help with water retention?

I'm very intrigued and inclined to try it.

And it's good to hear from you. I am always so encouraged by your posts.

Maggie:)

Pure Cranberry Juice

Kim, you can find it with the bottled juices. You may need to look in the organic section to find the pure juice that is NOT from concentrate. I like Mountain Sun. It is expensive, but you only use a tablespoon a day. You can find it in a health food store too. It is not with the refrigerated juices or frozen concentrates, and it is definitely not the cranberry juice cocktail. I hope you are doing well. I am keeping you and your family in my prayers. :)

Maggie, thank you for the kind words. Yes, I start each morning with one of these. I drink close to a gallon of spring water the rest of the day. It definitely helps with fluid retention. Try this for the first time when you are free to run to the bathroom every 20 minutes. ;-)

Blessings,
Heather B.

RE: Pure Cranberry Juice

Thanks Heather...and double thanks for the prayers.
I also remember you in prayer almost everyday.
I'm so happy about your personal discoveries and success'.

Heather! I was wondering why we can't use concentrated cranberry juice? I bought 100% cranberry juice from Vitamin Shoppe over the weekend due to your post. It was just cranberries without any additives and water. What's the difference? Just a little confused here. And I want to thank you for mentioning it because I'm not a big juice drinker. This combo is something I'd drink everyday because of natural sugar and I LOVE tart fruits. :9

Congratulations on your weight loss, too! Take care!

Lisa :)

>
> Heather! I was wondering why we can't use concentrated
>cranberry juice? I bought 100% cranberry juice from Vitamin
>Shoppe over the weekend due to your post. It was just
>cranberries without any additives and water. What's the
>difference? Just a little confused here. And I want to thank
>you for mentioning it because I'm not a big juice drinker.
>This combo is something I'd drink everyday because of natural
>sugar and I LOVE tart fruits. :9
>
> Congratulations on your weight loss, too! Take care!
>
> Lisa :)

I'm curious about this too. I remember buying the little 8 oz. bottle of concentrated cranberry juice, that cost a fortune ($12), a couple years back. That's what (I thought) was recommened at the time. What is the difference between the little bottle of pure concentrated and the bigger bottle of pure not concentrated? Also, can you use lime instead of lemon?

[font face="script" color=magenta size=+2]*~Dallys~*[/font]

www.picturetrail.com/keeponthesunnyside

Pure Juice vs. Concentrate

Lisa and Dallys:

Pure cranberry juice is simply pure juice pressed from fresh cranberries. Cranberry juice concentrate is made by boiling or cooking down cranberries until all of the water has been extracted, leaving behind a heavy syrup. Juice from concentrate is made by reconstituting the syrup with water. Juice concentrates are more stable and can be stored in the refrigerator for months after opening the bottle. If you use the concentrate, I would imagine that more than a cup of water would be needed for this cocktail. This makes me pucker up as it is! :* I cannot imagine what the concentrate tastes like! ;-) I am not sure about substituting limes.

Blessings,
Heather B.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.