Shoulder and triceps Strength

nbergren

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and friends in fitness-

My question is this... I started strength training using a 17 lb bar for lower body about 5-10 pounds dumb bells for upper. I am now at a 30 lb bar for all, except military presses and tricep extensions! For military presses, I can do a set, maybe 2 with 10 lb dumb bells and then I am down to 8. No way with a 30 lb bar! And overhead tricep extensions I can comfortable use 6 lb dumb bells. I just don't seem to be gaining much strength in those 2 over the head moves. I have gained some, but it has not kept pace with the rest of my body. How can I improve in those areas and does anyone else have the same problems?

Thanks for your input.

Nancy

I have exactly the same problem!! It seems no matter how hard I work I cant seem to progress with the amount of weight I use for military presses and tricep extensions. I've decided to just accept it. I figure as long as I'm feeling a burn, I'm working the muscle. I still try to slowly increase my strength with these two areas even it means doing less reps than Cathe. You're not alone!!

:) Stacy

The tricep is a very small muscle. The anterior and posterior deltoid are also smaller than other muscles in the upper body. So extensions (tricep) and military presses (delts) will nearly always be worked at a lower poundage. Also the smaller muscles are stablizers for other exercises, so they are worked when you work chest, arms, and back. By the time you hit the small muscles late in your workout, they are already tired.

Unless you've overdeveloped those muscles relative to your other larger upper body muscles it won't be able to lift the same amount.

I have the same problem with the overhead presses and biceps work. My triceps don't seem to be a problem, though.

I am longlimbed and not muscular at all. I tend to gauge how weak/strong I am by comparing the weights I can do with what Cathe and her crew use. I can always keep up on legs, chest, back and triceps. Shoulders and biceps are my weak areas. I've pretty much given up trying to increase the amounts I use, but my legs, chest and back are still getting stronger!

Sandi M

Same here. I was thinking exactly that as I was doing CTX upper body split last night too. Cathe always goes heavier than me on those two exercises, even if I can match her on other exercises. I figured I was just weak there.

Andrea

I guess I knew that, I am just amazed that Cathe never changes her 35 lb bar bell for any of these exercises. She uses it with all her muscle groups. WOW! Pretty nice that her overall strength is equal.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.