Should I order STS if I have P90X and different focus/g...

elsie3

Cathlete
Hi all--question time again!

First off, my focus is just to lean out and get rid of a muffin top. I love lifting, but never go heavier than 40 lbs. on legs because my pants get too tight in the thigh if I do. I'm 5'2", 140 lbs, compact/dense build, 40 years old. I got down below 120 lbs. a couple years ago with calorie staggering, but had serious problems at that weight for me--stomach problems, sallow/sagging skin, bones hurting, trouble sleeping, hair falling out, freezing all the time, nervous wreck, etc. My body hovers around 140. I would like to lose about 10 lbs., but I really don't care how much I weigh. I'm very content with my muscle definition and cardio capacity.

I got myself P90X for Christmas, but haven't done it yet. I got sick and ended up doing a 6-week yoga rotation because I just couldn't get back in to Cathe. I'm now on the third week of Cathe's January rotation. I've got most of my strength and cardio capability back (although you should have seen me after IMAX3--beet red and barely made it through). I don't feel quite ready for P90X yet--I think I'll do a 4DS strength rotation after I finish this one up.

I have quite a bit of buyer's remorse for getting P90X--I got it before the STS announcement. I haven't even tried the 4DS yet--except for the cardio in the January rotation.

I ended up trying and getting really into Kundalini Yoga in December and January (I have been doing Ashtanga and Hatha for 3 years). But Kundalini has done wonders for my nerves and emotional health. I also am leaning out better--I think it's because of all the breathing and glandular work in the yoga (and I never bought into that kind of thinking before I saw and felt the change in myself).

I want to get more into heavy weights, but I want to incorporate a lot more yoga than I had been doing previously. I was doing some yoga after workouts for a good stretch, and then trying to build one weekly yoga day into my rotation. I now want my focus to be yoga with weight and cardio add-ons.

STS would give me more days to add yoga into my rotation. But I'm just not sure I want to take things to that level--especially the leg work. I love Cathe, and anything she produces is well worth the money, but I'm not sure it fits into my goals.

Sorry about the long post. I could use your advice, and wanted to explain where I was at in my goals and thinking.

Carol F

Hi Carol! You already purchased P90X. I see no reason why you should purchase STS when you haven't even done P90X yet. I've done P90X for 2 rounds LOVE IT! I derived a great deal of strength using this program. You just need to pace yourself go easy at first & keep the log that's provided jotting down your weights used & how many pushups, pullups you can do. Try to challenge yourself each week. You can change up P90X's rotation to suit your own. There's no rule stating that you have to stick w/P90X for 90 days either. Heavier weights will rev up your metabolism, make you leaner & stronger. Yoga X in itself is 90 min. I would go for P90X.

Just my .02. HTH, Kathy:D

I did the exact same thing (including the getting sick part!). I just started P90X this week. I do plan on getting STS. I can see getting bored with P90X after 90 days, and so having a second program to go to will be nice, and should keep the challenge going. Then, I'll have tons of workouts to rotate. But I'm also a sucker for a new workout from Cathe.

I have P90 X and got great results from it. However, I am always looking for something new to keep my interest up so that I continue to workout regularly.

I ordered STS - not because I think this is a magic bullet to magically transform me into a "new me." It seems to be a solid fitness program and will keep (or maybe even improve) my current fitness level.

STS does not promise wonders, it does not come with worthless little gadgets (and also meets other strict standards I have for exercise videos).

If you can afford it I would buy it AFTER you tried P90X - what if you find out that you do not like heavy weight training?

To tell you the truth, for only 50 bucks you could shake things up with P90X+ once youfinish p90x.......I just cancelled my pre-order, realizing that 200 dollars for really, 12 workouts (the rest are dvd premixes) - while awesome I know, just isn't justifyable for me at this point with p90X+ and the New Rules of Lifting for Women........I get VERY bored easily so currently I'm mixin X+ with 4DS , hot yoga, and spinning......200 bucks can buy alot of other stuff.......even though I love Cathe, its become unreasonable for some of us.....sigh............

RE: Should I order STS if I have P90X and different foc...

I think you should really give p90x another try. I just finished my very first round (see my blog below) and got some very good results. I know you would too! I know I lost inches ( and a few lbs) but the 'tightness' from the lifting for those 12 weeks was a great benefit. Plus it really showed me the benefit of sticking to a rotation.

The great thing about p90x, since you love yoga, is that it incororates almost 2 days were you could add this in. You can always replace your X-stretch day with yoga ( i do).

All in all-since you have p90x, why not use it? Then after 12 weeks, and you are ready for something else-get STS?

Carrie

I agree w/ everyone else! You already have P90X, give it a shot first! I've had some great results from it and now P90X+. I'm a coach for MDB, so let me know if you have any questions about the program.

I hate to be the negitive one, but I have done the X(actually quit after week 10) and found it boring, and I ended up getting bloated!! I got MUCH better results with Cathe(who I have been usinig exclusively for years)! Actually, I got my best results with the X when I did all Cathe cardio and legs with only doing the X on chest and back and shoulders and arms. I started the X a size 2/4 and 117lbs.(I am 5'3") so I had no weight to lose, just wanted definition. I also eat really clean. I actually am bummed I spent so much $$ on the X and didn't like it.

Anyway, to answer your question--- some people have loved P90X and have gotten great results, some have done it and not gotten results. Either way, it is a different exercise program and can shake things up for you- variety is never bad.

Personally, I will stick with Cathe. I have gotten great definition, and lift really heavy (I can go heavier than her in 4DS for most excerises) and for me, there is no boredom factor. So personally I would invest in STS. I preordered on the first day, knowing I would get the great results I usually do from her. P90X is the same cardio and leg work for 12 weeks, for me (and I always use a rotation) that was too boring. The variety of pushups was good, but OMG by week 9 I was sick!! of pushups (I can do "boy" pushups- and can do 40 standard no problem, so its not that I can't do them).

With STS you don't have to match Cathe, you do what you can, its the program, not the weight used that works. Since you have the X, I would try it, but I would not rule out STS. I hope this all makes sense. I know I am one of the few who didn't get great results, but I thought you should have a balanced view. P90X is not for everyone. I personally would order with the pre order, its less expensive now than decide later its for you and the price is too much.

HTH,
Deanie

eta: it seems the 4DS maybe a good answer for you. It also leaves you with 2 days for yoga if you follow the Nov. 07 rotation.

If you've been working out with Cathe, then you're ready for P90X. I bought P90X with a feeling of excitement and dread. I kept hearing how intense the workouts were and how they make you suffer, and blah blah blah. People put the fear of God in me about Plyo and Legs & Back. The hardest workout in the rotation for me was Yoga X and that's because I NEVER did yoga (with the exception of 2 gym classes 2 years apart). P90X is no harder than anything that Cathe puts you through, so as soon as you feel back to your normal self, jump right in and give P90X a try.
Don't get me wrong, the workouts are definitely challenging and I enjoy seeing if I can beat my numbers from week to week. But it's not the dreaded monster people make it out to be (at least it's not if you're in good shape, which you should be after Cathe). The chest work does get a bit repetitive with all of the pushups. However, the hand positions and angles are really effective. I prefer the pushups in Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps to the Chest & Back sets. You'll probably need to supplement the legs workout with one from Cathe as Legs & Back is lacking in the legs department. HTH!

You guys are the greatest! I don't post very often, but when I do I always have these long questions--and the answers are always there.

All your replies have helped me very much. As far as STS is concerned, I think I'll wait until the end of the preorder is announced and decide then. I'll see how much $$$ I can squirrel away (I just had to look up 'squirrel'--couldn't remember if it had one 'l' or 2). I just can't stand the idea of missing out on the preorder prices if I decide I want it later.

Meanwhile, I plan on doing the 4DS rotation followed by P90X. And I truly appreciate the post about the dread factor. I was mighty askeered to give it a go, but you have given me hope and courage.:D

I welcome any more opinions. Thanks for all your help.

Carol F

I agree - do the P90X rotation first. I hate the cardio in P90X so I subbed for any other cardio. Now I have purchased the X+ and I use the interval x cardio in place of PlyoX and I use KenpoX+ in place of the original which really sucked in my opinion....

I love yoga - Brian Kest is my favorite so I use his stuff on my yoga days and sometimes will do the X yoga - just depends on my mood. However, I gained some great strength doing the X rotation!

I would also buy STS - its $200 towards your health and mixing it up is fun!!! I have not bought it yet bc of money factors but plan on purchasing at the last minute before they bump up the pre-sale price. We are finishing our basement so some other expenses came first ;)

Good luck! Yoga is wonderful! NEVER GIVE IT UP!!! It does wonders to create an emotional balance!

Sounds like a good plan! And just know that you can mix things up w/ the X by subbing in a Cathe cardio if you'd like (I love the 4DS Kickbox + KickMax drills for a much more intense Kenpo-type workout!).

I don't dread Tony at all, I think hilarious and love the X workouts.

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.