Shopping for jeans

AKirkland

Cathlete
I've been shopping for jeans and haven't had much luck. Here's the problem: seems like the stuff in the juniors' section is all cutting edge, super low rise with odd finishes - not necessarily appropriate for a 36 year old woman to wear to her casual workplace.

On the other hand, if you go to the misses' section, all you see are elastic waist, relaxed fit, "mature" jeans. After working this hard with Cathe, who wants to hide everything?

What's a petite, shapely (but not a teenager anymore!) woman to do? I'm looking for moderate low rise, boot cut with a nice fit between skin tight and relaxed. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried Victoria' s Secret jeans?

Thanks,

Angela

Victoria's Secret jeans are all that I wear! I love them!

I wear the Classic Slim cut. The great thing about their jeans (whether it's classic, boot cut or whatever), they come in 3 different lengths no matter what the size!

I have an extremely hard time finding jeans long enough in size 2's. The classic slim 2's come in the long length that's perfect for my longer legs! (You can buy their jeans as short as 28/29 inches and as long as 34 inches.)

I am 45 years old, so I know what you mean about the junior jeans styles not being appropriate for women our age. The junior sizes work well for me, but the styles are just too young. Try the VS Jeans ... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's encountered this. It sad, but I guess the manufacturers are meeting the needs of the majority when they make all the misses stuff "relaxed in the hip and thigh."

Thanks for the vote for VS. I've never tried them and am not sure what size I wear - probably a 4 or 6. Maybe I should order both and just return whichever doesn't fit - I'm in a hurry here.

I think I'll try the "curvy" jean. I really like the boot cut. I like low rise because I'm short waisted, but I don't want it down to you-know-where like some of the juniors stuff.

Angela

I'm 30, and I have great luck with Old Navy jeans- you can go as reserved or as trendy as you want- they have so many styles. And inexpensive too! (under $30)

Express is good too, but they cost an arm and a leg (over $50)

I like any pants Lee makes. I get mine at the VF Outlet store in Grove City, PA, at a Prime Outlet mall.

I got away from wearing baggy pants, and go for the kind with stretch fabric. Lee has lots of those, even in non-jeans pants.

My favorite pair of britches came from a catalogue, Chadwicks or one of them....boot cut stretch denim leggings. Love 'em!

I love Old Navy, too - in fact, that's what I'm wearing now, but they evidently quit making this style. It's called "Starlight" and is a button-fly, low rise, straight leg. When I returned to get some new pairs, all they had were the super low rise, big flare, funky stuff.

I like Express jeans, they come in different lengths and different styles, and they aren't in odd finishes or anything like that. I have never tried VS though, although I do wear all of their other clothes.
Cari

Have you tried Gap jeans? They have long length and just about every type of fit you want. They are my favorite brand.

I just got a pair of Victoria Secret's "Sexy" jeans and love them. They're low rise and even though the description says "very fitted through hip and thigh" they are not tight at all, very comfortable. I think you'll be happy if you try the "Curvy" style. I'm thinking of ordering a pair of those myself!

Happy shopping :)

Lorrie

My favorite jeans are Ralph Lauren "Saturday Jeans". They are low rise but not too tight. They came in different lengths. They have a full leg but not flared.

I also got some boot cut jeans from Lands End that I like.

I hate shopping for jeans and bathing suits. I feel your pain.

Guess? jeans

I absolutely love my Guess jeans!! They have different cuts although my favorite is more the traditional cut (higher waist) and the finish is pretty much good ol' stonewash but they have others too. The fit is body skimming, I think they call it 'slim fit'. One thing to remember, they size their jeans like men's jeans, so in my case since I wear a 4 petite, I have to translate that to a 26 or 27 in their sizes. If you've never tried them before I'd recommend trying on lots of different ones in their store rather than buying them from a catalog or internet site.

Happy shopping! :)

Bev K.

? about VS jeans

I have two pairs of Anchor Blue jeans (from Miller's Outpost) that I love. But it's been two years since I've been in there so I don't know if they have them anymore. The have the lower waist and boot cut and just look great.

Now, I have a question for those that love VS jeans. I tried some about 5 years ago, but hated the pockets. They were teeny tiny and up high and made my butt look like a huge upside down strawberry. Have they changed some, or do I really have a huge butt :-wow

Andrea

RE: ? about VS jeans

Another vote here for GAP jeans. They do have a large variety of waist and leg cuts. The boot cut if terrific, I have yet to find a pair I like more. I'm also a big fan of Levis for a more relaxed, baggier fitting pair of jeans. Again, lots of options in the Levis styles too.

RE: Gap

My only problem with Gap is I feel a little out of my element there. I went in once to puchase some slim fit khakis I saw in the window. I felt old with all the hip hop teenage sales girls. (My seventy year old mother was too intimidated to even come in and waited outside!) However, I found a pair that fit and proceeded to the checkout.

I wrote a check and the high school aged boy behind the counter said he needed to see my driver's license for DL number and date of birth. Date of birth! I cringed. Sure enough, my 6/28/66 made him do not one, but two double takes.

I was never sure whether to be complimented (maybe I look incredibly young for my age), or insulted ("what's this old crone doing in my store?").

Angela

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-02 AT 02:28PM (Est)[/font][p]My vote is Lee jeans or Levi's "reverse fit." I am a 5" 3" hourglass and jeans shopping usually requires prozac (just kidding). You can find a "dipped" waste band that comes up past your bikini line but below the belly button, which seems impossible to find anyplace that lives in the Mall these days other than department stores. :) Both are carried by Sears, cost under $40 (sometims as low as $20) and you can try 'em on. THey have "boy" fit and "curvy" fit and "relaxed" fit and all kinds of legs. I usually have to try on 10 pairs to find 2. My favorite are the reverse fit low waist relaxed (although they aren't LOW under today's standards) Happy shopping!

I have had trouble my entire life with jeans - way worse than bathing suits in my opinion. I finally found the perfect jeans and if they are ever discontinued I will just kill myself! They are sold at Nordstrom's, the brand is Halogen. They are boot cut, not too low a rise, button fly and they come in a couple of different lengths. They fit like they were custom made for me! My usual problem is that I am slighly short waisted and if jeans fit me in the hips/thighs then they are usually huge in the waist - but not these. They are terrific. Also they are about $48 which isn't bad. If anyone's interested I could get the style # from the tag inside.

I am 42, and I like the boyfriend's jeans from VS. They have a button fly, are boot cut, and have a SLIGHTLY low rise. I like my jeans loose around the waist area and sort of snug around the rearend, so the straighter boy cut works for me. I CANNOT tolerate any jeans that are supposedly cut for a woman because they go in at the waist. I do NOT go in at the waist as far as they think I should!

I used to hate VS jeans because of the little pockets and the high rise, but they offer many more rise lengths now.

Sandi M

Angela,

I loved reading your last post (re: double take at the Gap counter). I just bought a pair of size 2 Gap jeans (classic cut) and love them. I also love wearing the Levis jeans as they fit well, too.

On another note, I was having a difficult time trying to find khakis that will fit me. I've always worn Dockers but found that they have my size in petites (too short) but they don't carry anything under a size 4 in shorts (perfect length). So, after trying on several brands, I was really happy with the Gap Clean Cut style. It fit really well and nice enough to wear at work or to go out.

Happy shopping.
Lorrayne

I have discovered that Tommy Hilfiger jeans are a good fit for me, as long as I can find a relatively classic style, not the goofy teenybopper ones with a big TH on the butt. The ones I like sit below the waist which I like because I think that cut helps camoflage a belly pooch.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.