shingles

jistbrenda

Cathlete
Hello everyone, I was recently diagnosed with shingles.. I am 41. My doctor says the pain I feel should go away in about 2 to 4 weeks, unless I have complications and it could stay for months or years. Anyone here have this problem? Do you exercise anyway? Does the working out help the pain? I have never had anything like this. Thanks Brenda

My Mother had shingles a couple years ago. From what I remember she did not work out for that time period when it was at it's worst because she was too tired. Also the main thing that bothered her was a tingling sensation in her feet. For that she found that lose fitting comfort based shoes like the Crocs that were really popular at the time helped. However I believe that shingles effects everyone differently. Good Luck and take it easy :)

Brenda, I had shingles back in April. The doctor put me on anti-viral meds and they made me very sleepy and groggy. Seems to me I backed off on my workouts for a bit. The rash was on my back, right at waist level, so it was very irritating to wear anything that hit there. The pain didn't last very long for me though - maybe a week or two? He also gave me pain meds, but I didn't use them. Good luck.

YEA ROBIN, IT IS ALSO ON MY WAISTLINE. MY DOCTOR ALSO PUT ME ON PAIN MEDS WHICH I DO USE SOMETIMES.. AND HE ALSO PUT ME ON A ANTI VIRAL. I GUESS I KNOW NOW WHAT IS MAKING SO TIRED AND TO HAVE LESS ENERGY. I DID WORKOUT TODAY BUT IT WAS VERY HARD. I GUESS I WILL KEEP WORKING OUT TO SOME DEGREE JUST WON'T PUSH MYSELF TO MUCH. THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE LADIES.. IT WAS MUCH APPRECITAED. THANKS BRENDA

I hope that you were able to start the anti-viral Rx within 72 hours of the onset.

I also got slammed with shingles in my early 40's. I was on Vicodin for pain. Hard to say which was worse, the painful blisters or the nausea & exhaustion from Vicodin. Can't believe Vicodin is a recreational drug.

I didn't do any exercise for 2 weeks except walk my dogs because of pain, nausea & a bra was an instrument of extreme torture. Luckily the weather was mild & I got away with wearing a tank under another shirt when in public.

On a positive note, I rode a 70 mile bike event three weeks (maybe 2) after the onset. Still couldn't wear a bra, used a shimmel under my jersey, & it wasn't a very fast time, but I'd regained my energy.

Apparently our immunity from childhood chicken pox wears off. I plan on getting a vaccine when I hit 60 so that I don't face another round of shingles.

Debra

I hear ya Debra. I am a Phlebotomist and bending over to draw patients in their beds is shear torture. But I am hoping the stretchmax dvd's and gym style workouts will help me with my pain and stiffness. I am also hoping the pain goes away soon. I seen the blisters on sat and went to the doctor on monday so i am hoping I caught it in time for no long term damage. Have a wonderful day! Brenda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.