She lost weight eating at McDonalds

A local woman lost 30 pounds by eating at mcdonalds three times a day. My DH and I were watching the news and could not believe this. She would eat fish fillets and I think they said big macs. She threw a salad in there sometimes. But I think she is full of sh*t. She said she is only counting calories. She is eating food that will clogg her arteries and cause a heart attack. Every once in a while is no harm,but she at there three times a day for 60 days.She said going to the store and buying all the healthy food and preparing it was too inconvient. I really hope people don't get the idea of eating at mcdonalds 3 times a day to lose weight.

Can you believe this?

kim

Well if she was extreamly overweight, then yeah I guess it's possible to lose 30 pounds eating McDs as long as her calories were lower. But weighing less doesn't mean she's any healthier. Plus I doubt she'll lose any more then that.
Weird lady.. that's all I can say.

Maybe she cut down from eating 3 Big Mac combos at one meal to 1 Big Mac combo a meal and didn't Super Size. Seriously, I think you are right, I think she is full of it!;)

at least two people have done this and documented it

example:

"Ms. Whaley, true to her plan, kept her calories low -- on average she consumed 1809 calories per day -- resulting in a weight loss of ten pounds over the course of 30 days. To maintain her starting weight, she would have had to consume about 2000-2200 calories per day. Her nutrient intake was higher in fat than is usually recommended -- about 39% of her calories came from fat (recommended range is 20-35%). Her saturated fat intake was also a bit high -- 13% rather than the recommended 10%. She consumed about 46% of her calories from carbohydrates -- the lower edge of what the guidelines suggest. Her protein intake was about 16% of calories, which is in the suggested range for adults her age. Ms. Whaley's average cholesterol intake was somewhat over the upper limit -- 338 milligrams instead of 300 or less. Her consumption of dietary fiber was, however, only about 8 grams per day -- less than one-third of the recommended 25 grams."

She did better on meeting recommendations for a number of vitamins and minerals, however. Her intake of vitamins A, B6, B12, C, niacin, and riboflavin all exceeded 100 percent of the recommended amounts. She did fall a little short with respect to thiamin (87% of suggested amount). An important deficit was the B vitamin folic acid: Ms. Whaley only consumed about 50% of the recommended 400 micrograms/day.

The adequacy of Ms. Whaley's mineral consumption varied. Her intake of calcium, important for bone strength, was 96% of the recommended 1000 milligrams -- better than that most American women. But her intake of several other minerals -- iodine, magnesium, potassium, selenium and zinc, was less than optimal -- anywhere from 15 to 60 percent of recommended values. Her iron intake, too, was low -- only 49% of the current RDA. Ms. Whaley's sodium intake was about twice the recommended level -- 213% to be exact."

all her stats and the other person's story are available at:

http://www.acsh.org/news/newsid.963/news_detail.asp

morgan spurlock manipulated his 30 days experiment to get the desired results, he maxed out his caloric intake, set up a rule he HAD to supersize if it was offered and completely stopped exercising

http://techcentralstation.com/supersizecon.html

there is nothing wrong with mcdonalds , there is something wrong with people BLAMING mcdonalds for their poor choices and inability to control themselves.

McDonald food is not that fattening if you just eat the food - don't drink any soda with the meal, not even diet. Diet drinks makes you usually crave more foods compared to real soda - if I drink a coke, I drink a real coke and those 140 kcal of a can are filling.

It's not the fast food places' fault that people are fat - it's solely the fat person's fault.

I'm laughing at this thread cause I've been to both ends of the spectrum and neither made me lose weight. I completely deprived myself of fast food and lost no weight, and then I ate fast food anytime I wanted and lost no weight. I do think it's moderation with all foods and that's what I don't have. LOL!

My friend lost weight years ago just by cutting her portion sizes. She still ate lots of fast food, but was able to lose about 40 lbs. I'm not saying this is the best way to go or the healthiest overall, but you can drop weight on the scale this way.

Colleen

McDonald's doesn't make you fat, too many calories do. So I think it would be entirely possible to eat at MD three times a day and loose weight. But is it healthy? I could eat hostess cupcakes morning noon and night and loose weight. So what?

What exactly is this woman trying to prove?

Sparrow

the only thing I like from mcdonalds, is the french fries, why are they so good,... yeah of course is the fat on it, fat enhances flavor, of course havent' had fries in a long time, I know what is going to happen if I order even a small size, I am going to be hooked on it, and boy I do not want to be there, is awful! right now I am in my clean eating and loving it, Never liked the mac donalds burguers thou, only the fries.

The older I get the more I love me.

http://www.geocities.com/norma123nyc/MyJourney.html

"What exactly is this woman trying to prove?"

I saw her on the Neil Cavuto program (FoxNews)last week. She's written a book, so I guess she wants to sell books. I didn't find her terribly convincing on tv. I've seen Supersize Me. I wasn't a big McD's fan prior to seeing the movie. Now I will never eat there again. All of their food is loaded with unnecessary sugar. No matter who or what you choose to believe, my opinion is that fast and fried foods are not healthy. If you're going to eat fried foods, make your own at home. At least you know what kind of oil its fried in and that the oil is clean and fresh.

Moderation and portion control are always key tho.

If it's only based on calorie count, yes, I believe it...doesn't make it the RIGHT way to do it or the HEALTHY way to do it...but I'll bet it worked. Sad that it was too INCONVENIENT for her to lose weight in a healthy way though. I'm sure she also created health issues that she didn't need by eating that cr*p 3x a day for 2 months! That's insane! I am no angel-I like my fast food on occasion }( but to eat it THAT often is just insane!

Yeah Tammy I said the same thing. And these people think just because they lost the wait, it is healthy enough to do. They have lost the weight but are not healthier. Majority of the time a person wants to lose weight because of their health or wanting to be that way.

For the record, she did not impress me one bit. I would love to have a conversation with her.

kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.