Sexy Moms of New Babies hit it hard in 2010!!!

Jen, I'm so stubborn....no way I'd buy newer sizes (or wear maternity pants postpartum). So basically I live in yoga pants and huge shirts. Not a pretty site...but thankfully I'm not going anywhere nowadays except to clinic, grocery store or post office.

I have two breastpumps this time. But the last two times I just had the one. I had the Medela Pump in Style Backpack Style Pump. I LOVED it. This time around my insurance paid 80% of Medela Symphony Hospital grade pump (b/c we had twins and they were in NICU). These pumps retail for $800!!! Can you believe it? I plan to take that one to work (the pharmacy is most secure spot in store) & leave the PIS at home for emergencies.

Jen, it's going to take adjustment to find out what time works best for you for workouts....and once you figure it out you'll have to adjust it continusouly for James' ever so changing schedule. It's the great art of mothering!! lol YOU WILL DO GREAT!! I found as they got older that it was best to do it b4 they woke up in AM....then I had no mommy-guilt about not being with them.

I"m putting some boy clothes on eBay today. It's kinda fun. It's amazing how many of the clothes have little stains on them though (I toss those). I'm really picky about what I list. I"ve been doing lots so far. Hopefully this will help fund my maternity leave...

Hi sexy mommies!
Just popping in from the prenatal thread to say thanks --particularly to Melanie & Jen-- for your kind comments & support! You all are such an inspiration getting back into your fitness routines so quickly! I'm hoping that I'll be able to follow in your footsteps when our twins arrive in a few months!

Melanie, I just wanted to add also that I'm very sorry to hear about your father's health difficulties. You (and he) will be in my thoughts. Hang in there!

Thanks Brighton. I sent you a PM.

Workout is complete. Hiit 30/30 & 3 mile jog on elliptical. I"m tired & sluggish today. Tonight is family fun night at school. They are having some sort of circus. I'm excited to take the boys....DH will stay at home with the girls.

I wonder if I'll ever feel comfortable taking four kids 5 years and younger out in public by myself? LOL

Anyone see the Ab Countour belt informercial?

Jen--I've been pumping 3x a day since I went back to work in mid November. It can definitely be annoying to stop work to do it, but on the other hand, I've read three books since returning to work! It's nice to have time to myself, at least. If it gets busy, don't feel bad having to stop to pump. In most states, employers must allow women time to pump during working hours (you may need to make up for that time, but my boss is understanding, so it's not a problem).

As for when to find time to exercise, I workout in the mornings. Like you said, I don't want to exercise after work because it's my only time to spend with baby. In the mornings, I get up, feed baby, pump (since baby sleeps through the night, I need to pump in the early mornings to relieve engorgement), and then exercise while DH takes baby to grandma's. It works quite well--as long as I manage to get my butt out of bed by 5:30!

Morning!
No workout yesterday. My belly was just not right. I feel pretty good today. Kara got up 2 times..yawn...but tis ok!
Cardio today..will try a CS of some kind

Melanie-how did you night with the boys go?? Do you pump bottles for dh??
Jen, Pricilla, Christine, Allison, Dawn HI!
be back after workout!

Good morning, everyone! Boy, you all are an inspiration!

Baby wakes, eats, then goes back to sleep. :) This is my time to get in a quick workout. 40/20 this morning and one ab circuit (it was weights and plates; I admit I cheated on the plates section. yowser!). Next week it's back to work with the pump. Day care is set up. It will be heartbreaking, but maybe our evening time will be complete quality since she will be in day care during the day.

Hugs to everyone!

It breaks my heart to hear about us moms going back to work. :( I know it's inevitable...but I wish we could all stay home with our precious weeones!!

Susan, I was gone only 90 minutes....DH didn't need to feed the gals. If he did, I have about 100 bottles stashed in the freezer. Seriously. When I was in NICU the lactation consultant was strict about pumping 6-8 X per day (plus I nursed the gals)....so I quickly built up a stash. About a week before I go back to work I will start pumping again....but the only time I do now is if I feel a little engorged.

DH is SUPER supportive of bfing. It's amazing how much he'll put up with a crying baby....just so they can nurse when I"m available. I remember when I was working, he'd try to comfort the boys (sometimes for up to 90 minutes) to hold off on a feeding so they'd be super hungry when I got home. The bonding was priceless. If I got home, and my baby had already eaten and wasn't interested in nursing (after I worked all day) I was heartbroken....DH knows that... What a sweetie, eh?

I'm sore today. Not sure if I'll workout or not. I've only been up for about 30 minutes though....old people just ache in AM....so maybe I'll feel better in an hour or so. ;)

buneknek--I think you have a plugged duct in your nipple. Not too uncommon.

Some helpful links:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html
and
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

I had a lactation consultant tell me the best way to treat these is with a long very hot bath (bring a glass of ice water so you can stay in there for a while), followed by a thorough nursing session, and then pumping both breasts. Be sure to treat it for several days after the symptoms go away. Oh, and if you want a super easy hot moist compress to treat it, wet a disposable diaper with water and pop it in the microwave for about a minute. It'll be hot and not messy.

Good luck!

Step Moves done.....I like it..fun!
Melanie-thats great about your dh!!! My dh too is very pro breastfeeding and Im sooo thankful for that.
Kara didnt take her usual long morning nap. I just now put her down and I hear her in there talking..so maybe no morning nap today. I did mange to get a shower in..real quick!
Waves to everyone..bbs

Hi Susan! Kara's ready to give up her AM nap already?:eek::eek: ...hope not!!

I was able to pump out a 5 mile Coach Sean inspired workout. It was tough, but felt great....you know what I mean! I previewed CArdio Core Circuit while I was working out (do I get bonus calorie burn for that?)......and it looks tough.

Not sure how I feel about all this mixed-cardio type drills. I suck at squat thrusts and any exercise that demands that you're able to get down on ground, then back vertical quickly. Is it my age? My stiffness? My preference? Am I just being a weakling? This is precisely what I did NOT like about in Insanity....and now I see it in STS Cardio. :( This must be the 'new thing', eh?

Allison, did you change your user id name? .....or are you a different Allison? ......or am I just nuts? :confused::confused:

Hey ladies! DH has been sending me tons of pics and videos of James while I'm at work. One video made me cry it was so sweet! He also brought him to visit yesterday for 2 hours (my job is pretty pro-family). It's not been as hard as I thought it would be but I think its because my DH is such an amazing father. I know he's in good hands.

Melanie- I'm with you on the squat thrusts and drill type work. Now that you have mentioned it a few times, it has made me think hard and long about ordering Insanity. I thought I would like it but maybe not so much. That's awesome about your DH and BFing.

Susan- That's cute, Kara talking. James is starting to babble and make squealing noises. We laid him under his mobile the other night and he just started squealing and wiggling all around. It's precious!

Hi Dawn, Priscila, buneknek and everyone else! Getting ready to leave work and see my baby boy!

Body Max (bootcamp) done this am! Wow I lost quite a bit of strength. My HR was up to 180 during cardio & I was sweating bullets! It felt so good afterwards though. Tomorrow I need to do cardio, maybe SC boxing or Amy Bento's kicksurge, will see.
Alicoop- Thank you for the suggestion. Most likely I have that "milk emblem". So i'll try that hot compress. When did you start pumping before going back to work? My daughter is almost 3 weeks, she eats a lot & it seems like I don't have no milk to pump after she eats. I'm going back to work mid March so should i still try to pump?

heavens to betsy, melanie!!! you have 5 kids, work, and workout?????????? i am so impressed. how do you do it all?
i don't know how any young mothers do it. ya'll must be super organized. and have tons of energy. and it's not like cathe workouts are easy. ya'll make me feel like a slacker. :)
cathy

it breaks my heart too, melanie, that ya'll have to leave your precious little ones. i am so blessed that i got to stay home w/my son and now am enjoying my 3 beautiful grandchildren too.
cathy

Morning!
Hope everyone got some sleep last night!
My eating has not been stellar so far this week..but Im trying!
So far today
orange, oatmeal with walnuts
Weights are today..probably a Jari

Last edited:
Morning everyone!

Cathy- I know, I feel like a slacker too and I am younger than Melanie!

Susan- How's Kara sleeping? Still getting some good hours?

I told DH this AM that I plan on coming home and working out after work so be ready. Unless he really needs a break (He had a migraine all night that kept him up while James slept about 7 hrs) Yay for James but Boo for DH's headache. My belly has stopped going down and it pooches out and I still could look like I am about 3-4 months pregnant. Not good!

buneknek- I pumped for a few minutes after James ate because he never fully emptied my breasts and would get 2 oz sometimes. It was tiring but I built up a nice little stash that way. We have recently started using half and half bottles, half formula and half BM to keep up with his demand while I am at work. I wasn't too thrilled at first about using formula but at least he is still getting BM the majority of the time too. I plan on continuing to pump and give him as much BM as I can until I dry up.

Waves to everyone! I'll BBL when things slow down at work!

Jari's R&C done. I love the squats in that workout.
Jen-Kara is doing ok with sleeping..not great though. She is getting up once if not 2 times a night. Last night only once and she made it 5 hours..so Im not complaining. Its great the James is such a good sleeper! I hope your dh is feeling better. Let us know how your workout goes this evening.
meal 2-ww toast with nat pb

well, i am waaaay older than all of ya'll, i'm sure, and i am worn out after 2 days w/my grandkids. however, i will say in my defense. when they are here we are outside riding horses and all kinds of stuff, we never sit around inside the house.
cathy

buneknek--Based on the recommendations of a lactation consultant, I started pumping when my baby was 2 weeks old about 1-2 times per day, after baby had finished a feeding. It's best to pump in the mornings, since you're BM supply is highest at that time. You won't get much at first--that's normal--but as your full supply comes in, you'll get more. Plus, when baby starts sleeping longer stretches (hopefully at nighttime), you'll pump then to relieve engorgement and to build up your freezer stock. The lactation consultant said ideally you should have 100 ounces in the freezer before going back to work. That's just ideal. I had something like 500, though, because I produced too much milk. But now I may need to throw out my entire freezer supply since baby has suddenly developed an allergy to something in my diet (lots of green poop--yuck). We'll see what the pediatrician says.

Oh, and I'm impressed you're doing Body Max 2 just three weeks postpartum! I did just the cardio of that one 4 weeks postpartum and I was sore for days!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.