September 2015 Fit Mommas Check-in

Hi Roz,

Bummer about the blah workout for you yesterday. ITA that afternoon workouts are tough. Hopefully that was the reason for the "meh" factor.

Did you do your LWF2 deadlift-o-rama today?

Legs & Glutes Live from 8/20 today. Really great toning and functional moves mixed with cardio bursts. 55mins were gone in a flash.

Hugs from me and my angry glutes! ;)

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Great job on L&G Live! Sounds like a fun one. :)
Yesterday WAS deadlift-o-rama -- another go at 'The Dellanavich' (30 mins AMRAP DL x 5 + pullup x 2 circuit). I had a great workout. 30 rounds in 30 mins. For the DLs, I did the first 17 rounds at 175#, and the final 13 at 145#. For the pullups, I did the first 7 rounds as pullups and the rest \nd chinups, except ~4 of the last 7 or so rounds, where I subbed suspension trainer inverted rows as the chins were starting to grind a bit. Felt great -- definitely what the doctor ordered! :)

Today was a GSF2 workout. I felt fine doing it after yesterday's pulling workout, as it's metabolic conditioning workout with a pressing emphasis, so actually a great fit for today. I think the key for me with these GSF2 Phase 2 workouts is not to force myself to do endless sets of the exercises. With big, heavy lifts like squats, your body's doing to start giving 'negative' biofeedback pretty early, but bodyweight glute bridges? Those I could do for a while. So yeah, I think that's the key. And adding some big compound moves in my LWF2 workouts on in-between days.
Today was supersets of DB push presses and lateral lunges, straight sets of TGUs, and trisets of one-legged bodyweight glute bridges, t-spine rolls, and sit-throughs. A fun 30-min workout!

Not sure what tomorrow will bring. But -- it's September?! My, oh my.
Be well, my friend.
Roz

Hi Roz,

Superb numbers on your deadlift-o-rama yesterday! Those are some jaw-dropping numbers on both your DLs and your pullups / chinups combo. Glad you listened to your doctor's prescription. ;) Similarly, nice job on 'listening' to your biofeedback today. Not that our situations are identical because we're doing different programs right now and we have different bodies (obviously, ha!) but today I just knew I could not do anything that involved picking up a weight. Nothing metabolic even. Yeah, I was wearing my boxing gloves, but those are only 12oz so no biggie. High fives to us both for listening to our bodies.

Cardio Boxing with Stability Ball Abs Live (10/2/14). Not going to be my go-to Live Boxing workout, but I selected it because it allowed me to use my Everlast Boxing Gloves, it was mostly SS cardio (not metabolic, as mentioned earlier), and it included core (I realized I've totally been slacking on my dedicated core work recently). So not a favorite but it got the job done. Plus Amanda was in the crowd. Cast member special guest stars add an extra entertainment factor. :)

Since I took a break from the weights today, I'm hoping to feel super charged for LIHI CST tomorrow.

I know, what the heck? September? I can't believe my baby doll had her 4 month check-up yesterday. Slooooooow down, Father Time!!!

Hugs to you!

Lisa

LIHI CST today. You know your weights are heavy when the push-up finishers feel easy by comparison.

Have a good one, m'dear!

Lisa

ETA: saw this and LOVED it. a 'must read' for parenting, IMO.

Last edited:
Hi Lisa,
Wowza, happy 4 mos to your sweetie pea!
And great job on cardio boxing yesterday -- ITA that cast member cameos are fun! Great job listening to your body and getting your cute pink glove use in. ;)
AAAAND great job on LIHI CST today -- that one bites (in the good way)!
Today I wanted to do some conditioning and I've been working on technique for cleans and snatches, so I went for a LWF1 workout that's a circuit of hang cleans, power snatches, and BB rollouts. I used an 85# BB -- I could have gone heavier on the cleans, but I was pressing out at the top of some of the snatches. I know my issue is coordinating the moves, confidence, and technique, not strength at this point. Which is why they're great conditioning moves for me right now. And fun! :)
I topped it off with some stretching and a 30-min walk.

Tomorrow I'll probably just walk, or do a LWF that's got a real cardio-cardio feel to it. Probably GSF2 on Saturday.

Thanks for the link -- I look forward to reading the article!

Hugs to you and the gals,
Roz

TGIF Roz!

Excellent workout yesterday. ITA that there is a learning curve for those types of moves since they are so dynamic. That walk probably felt lovely after those lifts! ;) Hope today's physical activity is just as fun!

I finally did Step On It Live from 7/14/15 since my foot feels well enough for step now (I think I'm healed because there is zero pain or swelling...knock on wood...but still being cautious). I love Cathe but I would not recommend this one for you. It was a good SS workout but a rehash of PRS combos and some SB moves. I think you'd find it repetitive and dull. Just keeping it real, here. So, to sum up this week's Live workouts for you: YES on Legs & Glutes Live; NO on Cardio Boxing w/Stability Ball Abs and NO on Step On It Live. Take it or leave it, just my opinions of course. :)

It's college football season kick-off here today. While I don't care for football generally, nor am I a graduate of the local University, the entire place gets giddy with excitement and everyone wears the school colors. We learned early on when we first moved here that we'd better buy--and wear--appropriate game day gear or else face shunning from the locals. Ha! It's kinda fun.

Hugs your way!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for your honest review of Step On It -- you know my tastes well and I definitely value (and heed!) your suggestions. In any case, great work carefully getting back on that foot!

We're not football folks either, but it's fun to be part of a movement! Sounds like you make the best of it. :)

Today was the end of my second week of GSF2 Phase 2: a superset of 18" rack pulls and slamball lateral slams, a superset of bent presses and (your fave!) plank pullthroughs, and a triset of double hammer curls, resistance band overhead triceps extensions, and DB lateral raises. Then topped it off with a short hike. Fun! :D

Enjoy your weekend and thanks for sending your wishes! More soon, though the next week is going to be CRAZY starting tomorrow so I'm not sure how much computer time I'll have then. We'll see! :confused:

Big hugs, hut hut go team Lisa!
Roz

Hi Roz,

Your workout today sounded super fun! I think by the time you got to the lateral raises, your arms were shaking like a chihuahua, no? ;) Also, I forget--do you use the resistance band for things like triceps extensions? I thought we'd discussed earlier how moves like that were tweaky, or may be that's just me? Also (so many questions!), I've been meaning to ask you, when you hike do you wear your princess in an Ergo or some other child backpack? Just curious, trying to get a picture in my mind of what your hikes 'look' like. :)

I missed KCM, so I did one of her TB workouts called Your Best Body. I like this one. Kelly's a pro at standing core work.

Yep, we've got a crazy weekend ahead as well. My DH is taking a couple days off from work (YAY!) so we'll be scooting around all over the place. I'll try to check in periodically, but if not I'll catch you sometime next week. Hope we both have lots and lots of fun!

Big hugs back, and hopes for no flag on the play! :) (and the home team did win it last night. woot!)

Lisa

Happy Labor Day!

No workout for me yesterday, just a lovely family walk. Today was another new-to-me Cathe Live, High Intensity Aerobic Weight Training w/Step Live from the day before the July 2015 RT. This workout is what I'm talkin' about!!! No boredom factor, and the perfect balance of tough moves without that dragging feeling of "geez, how many more reps left?" A great metabolic workout that I highly recommend.

Off to enjoy what remains of the day! Thinking of you and yours on this lovely day.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Hope you had a great Labor Day of scooting all over the place! Hooray for family walks! Hope DD1 is still loving school.
Sorry I've been absent, things have been so busy! I hope to get to my email this weekend. Nothing interesting going on, though. :confused:
It's so dang hot here, I can't wait for 'real' fall, when I can take a pleasant afternoon walk instead of being 'cooped up' in the A/C (while it's over 90* and humid outside).
Today and Monday were both GSF2 workouts -- I'm in Week 3 of Phase 3. One more workout Friday, then another week of Phase 3, then I'm back to heavy squats, OH presses, and deads. Looking forward to it -- I do find the big compound moves eliminate angst/ennui better than conditioning-type moves. ;) Today I did a short LWF1 workout -- a BB circuit with DLs, cleans, front squats, and push presses. I managed 100# for one rep of each move in the last round. Woohoo! Never had push pressed that much.
I really can't blame my workouts -- I'm just stressed out! And I feel a bit off-kilter with my eating, too. Nothing major, just eating more treats (no Krispy Kremes, but extra dark chocolate and organic ice cream, lots of nut butter, etc.) and still feeling hungry a lot. Meh. :rolleyes: Listen to me whine.

Anyways, AWESOME JOB on your workouts, and woot woot on your chest press PR! That's awesome!! :D And hooray for spotter DHs! Are you using DBs or BBs?

Anywayyyyys, hope you're feeling wonderfully awesome! Sorry if I'm a bit babbly here!
Hugs to you and the gals,
Roz

Roz,

You're never babbly to me! I like any and all info I can get, from barbell poundage to weather reports to excessive nut butter eating (FYI, you're not alone on that one).

Thanks for reporting your workouts. Glad that you have lots to report on that front, but sorry that there is need for angst elimination. Grrrr.

Like you, I'm hoping for fall weather soon! I love the fall season. Does your little love bug have a Halloween costume picked out yet? DD1 is going to be Minnie Mouse and DD2 is going to be whatever DD1 was at her first Halloween...I'm thinking it was Tinkerbell, but like a good brain dead mom, I can't remember for sure.

All About Legs Live from May 2014 for me. Looooooooove this one. Super fab toning.

Sorry so short. I've got an appt to get to. Sending you super big hugs and support.

Lisa

ETA: I use DBs for chest press because the BB hurts my elbows. Something about the fixed position of the elbows in a chest press, and a BB curl for that matter, really bother my elbows so I modify with DBs.

Last edited:
Hi Lisa,
Great work on your Live lower body workout! Those ones ARE really fun.
Good call on subbing DBs for BB on curls, and anywhere your elbows bug you. I'm all about modifying to make things work for me! :)
Hope your appt went well yesterday!
Haven't decided on a Halloween costume yet -- maybe I'll see if she has any thoughts on the matter -- or maybe I'd better not ask and just pick something myself. ;)
Today I played with several LWF1 workouts -- The Arnold, Shoulder Sculptor, and parts of a couple others whose names I forget. Working on cleans, jerks, push presses, and having a lot of fun. They're great for intense conditioning!
Tomorrow I'll probably walk or just do a little bodyweight stuff to get my heart rate up. Then GSF2 on Saturday.
Thanks for listening to my babbling! :) I'm going to try to get a little more disciplined about eating during my time of stress. I'm not trying to cut calories, I just am trying to avoid getting stuck in snacking cycles. So as many smallish, healthy, balanced meals as I care to eat, basically.
OK, gotta run -- more soon!
Hugs,
Roz

Haven't decided on a Halloween costume yet -- maybe I'll see if she has any thoughts on the matter -- or maybe I'd better not ask and just pick something myself. ;)

I've learned the hard way with my DD1 that it is best to just 'surprise' her with a costume. Giving her the choice causes a bit of chaos, but of course that's part of her personality and your DD is a totally different person. It's not as mean as it sounds, though, since I always pick something that corresponds with her current obsessions. ;) She hasn't been disappointed yet.

Your workout today sounds intense. Still focusing on form or are you heavy-ing up on the weights? "Shoulder Sculptor" just sounds like it burns! Way to work it, woman.

BTW I read about you curling...what was it...35lb DBs on the Nia thread. Soooooo proud of your strength, my friend. You are both physically and emotionally strong, and remember that I am always here to 'spot' you when you need it.

Guess I should report that I did XTrain Burn Sets Bi's and Tri's. Burn is for sure!

My problem with the nut butters is that I'm still in the habit of just taking a big spoonful, then maybe one or two more. I lose all sense of portion control. That's a hefty snack. I'm not trying to limit calories either, but a single serving is enough, ya know? I'm going to try to shift to actual nuts so I can feel more satisfied in my snack time.

All for today! HUGS!

Lisa

Howdy, Roz!

Yesterday's For the Love of Cardio Live gave me my scheduled cardio fix today. Lots of classic Cathe hi/lo, kickboxing, and a bit of HiiT. Burned some calories but didn't feel exhausted afterwards, which as you know is what I shoot for with my cardio these days. Plus, Al was in class. Bonus! ;)

Hoping your stress levels are in check, that your foot is treating you right, and that your precious little lady is giving you lots of squishes. And since you can never have too many squishes, I'm sending you lots of virtual squishes and hope you have a great Friday! I may or may not be here this weekend, but I shall return the next week.

Squishes!

Lisa

Well lookie loo, I actually made it here today! ;) Wasn't sure if I would be working out when I woke up this morning, but I wanted the endorphin rush so I did KCM's 30 Mins to Fitness: Cardio Pump. I did the second 30 min workout first, which was a timed total body workout. Whew! Then I did the first 30 min workout, which was cardio boxing (wearing my beloved pink Everlast gloves). Nobody does boxing like Kelly. It was a nice combo of endurance strength and cardio, plus the core work that is inherent with boxing. Yay for KCM!

I'll be MIA until Monday. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Great job on your workouts! Hope you enjoy your rest day with your family today. :)
Wow, what a week! I did get some workouts in.
Friday was just a long walk, which was really nice.
Saturday was GSF2: superset of 18" rack pulls (225#) and slamball slams, superset of bent presses (I think 25#?) and pullthroughs (60#), and a triset of DB hammer curls (27.5#), resistance band OH triceps extensions (I think you asked -- I am just carefully using the band here -- actually liking using my pullup assist band but I step through pretty far to shorten the stretch -- if that makes any sense), and lateral raises (10# -- these don't get any easier!! -- just focusing on keeping arms totally straight).
Today I did Jill Coleman's Bodyweight Delight from LWF1 -- an AWESOME 30-min bodyweight workout. This will be another go-to for me, for sure (today was my first time doing it).

I'm actually thinking I may skip the fourth week of Phase 2 of GSF2 and move onto the greener pastures and heavier iron of phase 3. I've loved Phase 2 but doing the same conditioning workouts four weeks in a row might just be one too many weeks for me, and I don't want to be catapulted into dreadsville. I'm loving the program too much for that. We'll see -- I haven't decided yet.

Anyways -- Happy Sunday and see you next week!
Hugs,
Roz

Hi Lisa,
Hope you had a great Sunday!
Today I started Phase 3 of GSF2 and did back squats (155# for 6x3), a superset of BW lateral lunges and crunches, and DB RDLs.
HOWEVER, I did some bodyweight reverse lunges yesterday ('testing the waters') and my foot is really bugging me today. I'm going to take a couple weeks off anything that forces me to put weight on my feet. So... probably a lot more rest than usual, but bench press, any seated UB work, pullups I'm gonna be all over! Maybe some floor work on all fours, too.
Any ideas?
More soon -- sending big hugs!
Roz

Roz,

Avoid dreadsville at all costs! That is my workout mantra. Well, that and 'train safely to avoid injury,' but the ditty about avoiding dreadsville has much more pizzazz. ;)

Oh no! I'm so sorry about your foot. Can you do things like forward leaning lunges, lateral lunges, lateral walking lunges, static lunges (on the floor and/or elevated)? I only ask because reverse lunges were a no-no for me when I had a fracture, but for some reason the aforementioned moves were no problemo. Floor work will be a winner for sure. Maybe also flat-footed standing / barre work? And then, of course, there's UB-focused boxing which was my go-to cardio. Is walking still comfortable? I'll let you know if I can think of anything else. HUGS to you and that foot.

Today = Legs & Glutes Live (8/20/15). Second time through on this one. Loved it. I actually think it's more like LBB than L&G, in terms of the DVDs, but who cares? The bottom line is that I just like it. ;)

Hugs right back. We need them today, as the day got off to an abysmal start. I'll give you more deets in our private convos. (Does shorthand like that make me cool? Yeah, I didn't think so. Ha!)

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.