Self Tanner Revisited

Amysue

Cathlete
I need everyone's educated opinion regarding self-tanners. I know we've discussed this before, so please bear with me. I'm going to Cabo San Lucas in mid March and want to keep my face and body looking tanned but without sun damage...especially my face. I may use a lesser SPF on my body, but plan to use a block on my face. What works best for you? I have oily facial skin, but winter has wreaked havoc on my legs and arms, drying my skin out somewhat (or maybe it's all the showers I take after sweating to Cathe).Thanks for any advice in advance!
Amy

The best self tanner I have used is Estee Lauder-Go Bronze. It didn't streak and it had a natural color. It also does not take forever to dry. I have to say I was completely shocked that it worked so well since I have tried almost all of them. The downfall is that it cost $25. Worth it to me, but again, everyone is different.

Amy,

If you have an oilier skin type, then I would avoid a cream, as these can sometimes create spots, and pimples. Go for a self tan gel, which absorb better into an oilier skin.

Well done for using a total skin block on the face (wrinkles :p ), though I would stick with a highish SPF for body especially if you are going to be using self tan on the body. The skin on the chest area (above the bust) crepes dreadfully due to sun damage, so ageing on the body is just as bad as ageing on the face.

Also, don't forget to include a body exfoliater and an exfoliater especially formulated for the face. Self tanned bodies look better when regularly exfoliated, especially around knees, elbows, feet, ankles, backs of knees, inside of elbows, and armpits !!!!!!!!!!

If your body skin is looking pretty parched now, start body exfoliating twice a week, and moisturising daily morning and night NOW !!!!!! By the time March comes around your skin will be in tip top condition for the beach. We tend to muffle up more during the Winter months, and basically ignoring the bits of us that are normally on show during the Summer. As a special once a week treat, invest in a salt glow body scrub (made from dead sea salt, and nourishing oils, Origins and Fresh carry good ones), and do this on top of your exfoliating ritual too.

I went to New York last Summer for a short break with my DH, and it was glorious sunshine. I just slapped on the self tan before I went and while I was there. Used an SPF 30 for the body, and SPF 40 for the face, and also incorporated the use of a tan accelorater. I went back to the UK with a lovely colour, without the effort :)

Anna :)

Hi Amy,
Just wanted to add my 2 cents--I have had great luck with Bannana Boats self tanner. No streaks, not expensive, but it does take a few applications to really get a good base tan.

I also agree that the exfoiliating is one of the most important things you can do--I had really dry skin for years, even with moisturizers every day, but I started taking about 3000 mg of Cod liver oil daily, and it has made a huge diff. in not only my skin, but hair and nails as well. I take it in a pill form, and you cant even taste it. Just another idea.

Let us know what works for you!
Have a great day
Jayne

For the past 2 hot and sticky summers I've been using Neutrogena self tanning foam. It goes on easily, dries within 5 minutes and looks great!:) Susan

When I was doing Body For Life, Nuetragena was recommended in one of the forums. I didn't try it myself. I think also Ban de Soliel was also highly recommended. One of those brands has an sunless tanning oil that is supposed to be great for dry body skin.

I found this link a while ago that rates/review sunless products:
http://www.sunless.com/

Good luck and let us know what works :)

dee

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to print this out and take it shopping with me. And Bernard, you're right, the body does deserve protection too. I'll use a higher SPF all over. I do have a dermatologist's appointment the day AFTER we get back! He may not like my sporting a "real" tan!
I think I'll get right on the exfoliating my skin. Sounds like the perfect excuse to pamper myself. ;-)
I really appreciate everyone's help. I will definately stick with an oil free tanner for my face. I keep telling God, "Either zits OR wrinkles, I'm having a hard time handling both!"
Have a great weekend!
Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.