Select Comfort Beds

alsrnbsn

Cathlete
My DH is severely disabled with back problems. He has had so many surgeries on his back that I have lost count. He has titanium rods holding his hips onto the rest of his body. As a result of all of this, he is unable to lay on his back AT ALL, much less sleep due to pain. Anyway, we went to the Select Comfort showroom the other night and when he got onto this bed, he was actually able to lay on his back without difficulty. This is a HUGE plus in my book!!!

Is there anyone else that either has this bed, or have had this bed? I am just wondering what the general consensus is because it's a pretty large investment. Just looking for opinions, thanks!

I too would like to hear any comments on this bed. My husband and I purchased a mattress set that cost around $2k and are always complaining about back pain. I want to get rid of it and tried this bed in a store. Are they really finding those pressure points like they say? does the number you use really make a difference? There must be someone in the Cathe crowd that has one of these!

Hi Amy,

So sorry about your DH's back problems. I cannot imagine living with chronic pain!

Anyway, my brother had cancer that caused him a great deal of pain. Right before he died he was in a hospital bed that hospice provided but prior to that he and his wife bought a sleep comfort bed because it helped with his level of comfort quite a bit. I hope it works out for you!

I also have gathered information about these beds. Hubby and I are definitely due for a new one and was just wondering if they are worth the investment. Neither of us really have any back pain issues but we want a bed that will last and provide comfort. We're looking at one that costs about 5K. Seems like a lot for a bed but when you consider the fact that the average person spends a third of their lives there......

I talked to one person that had one and her husband ended up with it in the divorce. She said that she regrets losing the bed - lol.

I also would like to know how others feel about these or similar beds.

Angie

The QVC bulletin board has had alot on these beds in the past. From what I remember, everyone loved theirs. One woman had a problem 10 years after ourchasing the bed, and they honored their guarantee with no problem.

my husband and i have this bed and it's the best!!!!!!! i highly recommend getting it...worth every penny!

my last dd was born via c-section almost 6 yrs ago and for 2 years i would wake up through out the night with bachaches and in the morning it would hurt just getting out of bed. hence we decided to try this bed. we got the middle of the line version--their most popular, i think, and i very rarely ever wake up hurting anymore. i've never once regretted spending the money for this bed.

it does take some time getting used to it because you are sleeping on air and each side of the bed is a different "bag of air" (sorry i can't think of any way to explain it). when one of you is off the bed it does feel a bit different especially since one side may be lower/higher than the other.

we both have our own controllers and i think i'm at a 35 and my dh is at 45.

my dh had back surgery this past march and i know being able to manipulate the softness/hardness of the bed was a huge plus.

if you have any other questions go ahead and post them....i'll try and answer what i can....but i seriously wouldn't think twice about spending the money. we did not get the one with the huge pile of "pillow top" on top of it because i like the "cozy" feeling of being sunk into my bed......:)

My DH and I purchased a pillow top Select Comfort bed about 11 months ago(it was a TSV from QVC). The first reaction I have is that I LOVE this bed. I can perfectly adjust the air chambers so it craddles my body and supports every body part just right.It took us a week or two adjusting from a inner spring mattress to the select comfort air chambers style mattress but I can honestly say that I will NEVER go back. This bed is definately worth every penny. I use to toss and turn and wake myself up and my DH use to wake up with a sore back but ever since we bought this bed no more tossing or sore back! I could go on and on but I think you get my opinion ;)

My father and stepmother bought these and had repeated problems with the mattresses deflating overnight... they'd set the air pressure setting, but the next morning they'd wake up to deflated mattresses... they went through three replacement mattresses that had the same problem, so they eventually got their money back, but they went a good 4 months without decent sleep.

However, I hear a lot of people like them.

Thank you so much for all your comments and recommendations! Another mark in the "plus" column for us is that Florida has it where it you have a prescription from your doctor, you don't have to pay sales tax! That won't be any problem from our doctor!!!

I am sorry for the problems your parents had! I am glad to hear that they were able to get their money back!

We have several friends that purchased one of these beds and absolutely love them, but I like to gather more opinions! I think that we will eventually go with one as we have been back to the store 3 times over the last 2 yrs! It's just needing to bite the bullet!

Amy-

We purchased one in July. The verdict for us is this. I am very comfortable in this bed and consider it the best bed I have ever slept in. Now when I am in a hotel bed it feels like a board to me.

To be honest, DH is not sold on this bed. He doesn't like the difference between the sides, because he likes to sleep in the middle of the bed since he is larger than me. I see it as a way to get my space.

We have the queen size. I would have gone to the next size, but DH saw it as an unnecessary expense. They have a size in between queen and king that fits on a queen frame. It has 6" extra width.

I would but it again; I do sleep better. I think DH just need more time to adjust to his own number and the feeling the two sides are different.

give it a try.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Hi, Amy,

We just got this bed and have slept in it for less than one week. So far, I love it, but DH is undecided. I sleep on my side and get shoulder pain with firmer mattresses. I have found 30 -35 wonderfully comfortable. DH sleeps mostly on his back or stomach and hasn't found a number he likes. He has been trying between 75 to 100, complaining that he wakes with either back or shoulder pain.

I'll keep an eye out for a bump of this post if anyone wants an update in a week or two, or y'all could PM me.

bhappy

My DH and I bought a new bed a few months ago we went to the select comfort store. DH liked it , me not so much. We ended up with a tempurpedic. It is like nothing I have felt before. It is sooooo wonderful. I am sure S. Comfort is good but I would like to suggest trying out a tempurpedic also. JMHO.

LD

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.