Seeing a Nutritionist

lis1

Cathlete
I have an appointment with a nutritionist soon and wanted some advice. I've seen 2 nutritionists before. The first one was into all of these weird herbs, and the second basically just handed me a printout of what I *should* eat (without considering that I may hate the foods on the printout). I could've just ripped out a menu plan from a magazine!

So what are some good questions to ask the lady? I don't want to waste $70 again.
What would YOU ask if you were seeing a nutritionist?

Hopefully, this will give me some ideas!

I would buy a nutrition book and save alot of money!!!

As to the questions, well, nutrition is such a huge topic that I cannot imagine anyone helping you in one session. Really, why don't you check out some reputable books out of your public library or something?? Just a suggestion..Janice

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-02 AT 10:52AM (Est)[/font][p]To get the most for your money, you should keep a log of what you eat for a month, or at least two weeks. Also write in your exercise for those days.

I saw a nutritionist once who helped me when I was about to do a lot of traveling. I'm now sort of going vegetarian (except seafood), so I have a lot of questions on protein..... Here are some questions that I would ask:
- Protein amounts (since I lift weights) and how often. I'd also ask about protein bars and shakes (I always have a zillion protein questions)
- Suggestions for eating out (I never know how many shrimp I should eat - so I eat them all)
- I'm also an eating disorder, so it's good to have someone check my food intake from time to time. I tend to go from one extreme to the other.
- With all the crap in the news about the Atkins diet, I'd have questions about that.

Also - why are seeing a nutritionist? Are you over-weight, under-weight, or just want a check-up?

Also, there is a great website you can go to to find a good nutritionist in your area. If your interested, it's eatright.com
Hope this helps!

I have to agree with a previous post--unless you really need in-depth nutritional counseling, in which case, you need to find a registered dietitian, not a nutritionist--you will be able to get the info you need from a nutrition text.

Notice I don't say a nutrition book. There are scads of books supposedly on nutrition out there that are nothing more than factoids and hype. If you really want to learn, pick up an intro to nutrition text that is used in university level classes. They will present the info in a scientifically sound manner, rather than in a smoke and mirrors method designed to promote whatever junk diet or nutrition supplement the authors are selling.

If you like, I can recommend a couple of texts. Just let me know or e-mail me if you like.

Maribeth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.