sciatica pain

singinggoddess

Cathlete
Hey educated crowd,
I have had some sciatica pain ever since I upped my mileage running. I have not run now in a week and am doing the elliptical and some strength and step work. My question is I am confused on who I see for this. It is not excruciating or anything it just aches after I sit for awhile or when I wake in the morning. Now I have read that in most cases it goes away on its own. But, I have decided to have it looked at. I have had some say go to a chiropractor and some say see a massage therapist. Any thoughts or comments? I figured if anyone would have good advice it would be you guys. Thanks!

Susan

Hey...I like both!!! But seriously, if the pain is not real severe, check for a massage therapist that might specialize in sciatica (if there is such a therapist) before trying the Chiropractor. I know there are some massage therapists here so maybe they will chime it...:)

Hi! I would suggest seeing a Chiropractor. Dr.'s unfortunately do not like to recommend them because they can fix problems without drugs and they take away the dr.'s business a lot of the time. I bet all you need is an alignment. But seeing a message therapist might be just a good thing to go do to help your muslces relax. But also if you have health insurance they cover the chiropractor, not a message therapist.
I would definately do the Chiroprator if I was going to choose one. But both would be nice, only because getting a message feels so darn good! ;-)

Kathy

Susan,
I actually just read an article about this in TrailRunner Magazine. It basically states that what is often misdiagnosed as sciatica pain is actually an inflammation of the piriformis muscle (Piriformis Muscle Syndrome). It can become inflamed by an increase in mileage or uphill running. Because the piriformis is located near the sciatic notch, which the sciatic nerve runs through, inflammation can cause irritation to the sciatic nerve. The article recommended rest and ibruprofen, but the real jewel were two stretches for the piriformis itself (although I know that Bryan Kest does one in one of his yoga vids as well). I can't find an online copy of the article, but I googled it and these two links seem to be well worth a look:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/training/pain_in_your_butt.htm

http://www.losethebackpain.com/ppc/piriformis-syndrome.htm (This one sends a free report to your email)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.