Scare me with some stories, please

amyg

Cathlete
I need some help with scary stories of IUDs. I'm on the pill now, but it's killing me and my blood sugar. I've got an appointment for a consultation on a non-hormonal IUD and right now it's sounding perfect for me...

...can you bring me back to reality with stories and/or experiences with an IUD? I don't have kids and my first doc refused to give me one for that reason. My DH is in full support of me getting one, as I am, in spite of the risk.

Any help is much appreciated!!

I had a "Copper 7" about 20 years ago right after the birth of my daughter. My body wanted to reject it & I bled for 6 months, 2 weeks on, 1 week off. My GYN refused to take it out saying that I had to allow my body time to adjust. When I say I bled, I mean, heavy bleeding as though I was having my period.

Oh & lets not forget the yeast infections that came back to back during that time frame.

Yeah, real comfortable time that was.

You don't really want scary stories, do you?

I tried to get an IUD once. They have to insert them when you have your period. So off I went to the doctor, IUD in hand. He inserted it, which was quite painful, as you're already swollen and crampy. Once he got it inserted, it was excruciating. He poked and prodded and I was trying really hard not to cry. Then he said, in his bland and boring British doctor voice "Well, it seems that your uterus tilts backwards, so the first time you have sexual intercourse, it will probably pierce your uterus and you'll end up in the hospital." At that point, I very kindly and calmly said "WELL TAKE THE *&)#*(%&()&#*$ THING OUT THEN!!!". So he did:)

I spent the next few days curled in the fetal position with the worst cramps ever, and then I learned to love the condom;)

These are exactly what I was looking for. The docs and the paperwork make it sound easy and great...

Sigh. Maybe the pill isn't so bad after all. (??)

I got a copper IUD in October 1995. I was told at the time that I couldn't leave it in more than 10 years and had it removed in December 2005. The insertion wasn't bad at all to me. I had a little bit of spotting (they didn't say I had to be on my period when they inserted it - and I wasn't) and cramping the day of insertion, but after that I was fine. The only problem I had was the cramping, but I'd take some Advil and I was fine. My periods would only last about 4-5 days. I hated being on the pill so I didn't mind it at all.

However, please note that I have a very high tolerance for pain. And I'd get another one if my boyfriend hadn't gotten a vasectomy earlier in the year. Now I don't use anything and I feel so free!!

Some of that might have been TMI, and if so, sorry!

Amy have you given the Nuvaring any consideration? I have used it for about 3 years with no side affects at all...Maybe check with your Doctor to see if it could work for you...:)...Carole

Maybe you should consider the diaphragm. I too used BCP's and ended up gaining 20 pounds(!!!) in a 3 year period. I too suffered from upset stomachs and a feeling of general unhappiness similar to PMS.I then switched to the patch which wasn't any better and I had to wear a ratty band-aid for a week at a time. And the weight thing still didn't resolve itself. I eventually gave up using "medications" for birth control because it just wasn't working for me. I haven't taken the pill or used the patch now for 3 years and I haven't felt better!!

Carolyn

Amy, I second the Nuvaring. It's not perfect (I feel more crampy with it than not), but for me it is WAY better than the pill, which really messed with my moods. I've only had one yeast infection in the year I've used it. (TMI, I know.)

Shelley, LMAO at your story! What an idiot!

Marie

Most certainly, give condoms a try. Talk to your doc/gyn about natural birth control. It is very EASY to do and only costs you the cost of the condoms...how many you use each month is up to you. ;-)

If you don't know anything about it I will be happy to explain. I went off bc pills the year H and I got married and we used natural birth control (some call it the rhythm method) for years and years. We have four very planned children. No surprises. I am so glad that I listened to my doctor all those years ago and stopped taking bc. I would never even consider an IUD, no way.

I had a Copper T for a year and a half and never experienced any extra pain or bad side effects. I really liked it. I got it after my first pregnancy. I got pregnant with my second right after removal...which is nice if you are planning on having a family to not have to wait till your body straightens out from pill use. The IUDs now are different from those introduced years ago. There is also a IUD with a little bit of hormone that my sister has, she loves it...it actually made her period shorter and less painful and she doesn't bleed as much. I can't remember the name, but it works well for her. Any way...I hope you can find something that works for you.

Lindzebird

I have a friend who gets the shots 4x a year - you might want to try that. She has had 0 side effects. A few of my friends use Nuvaring and they just love it.

I myself could never relax with condoms and if you are really not ready to get pregnant it is a real downer when one breaks. On the other hand, it is better than nothing and won't mess with your blood sugar.

I was thinking about you the other day - NPR had a story about the Olympic cross country team's best guy. He has Type 1 - and is a fanatic about his sugar. He tests up to 10x before a race, and has people on the course with what he calls "boosters", plus insulin and sugar for him. A lot of work, but he may win the gold medal for the US for the first time in that sport.

Does your Boot Camp class wreak havoc with your sugar?
Melissa

Keep your head in line. Your butt will follow.

http://www.picturetrail.com/pellmel

Let me add that every woman has a window of fertility every month. Once you figure out when that is for you, you won't be worrying about broken condoms, etc. To be on the super safe side, just don't have intercourse during those fertile days.

I can tell you on what day of my cycle I got pg with each of my kids. It is that easy. All you need is a thermometer and a piece of paper to chart your temps. You don't need to do that every month, just for the first month or two until you get your own cycle down pat. Then, when you do want to conceive, I would always go back to charting my temp. every morning so I would know when I had ovulated.

No drugs, no devices. Just a thermometer, a piece of paper and pencil and a box of condoms to use during those fertile days.

Hey Melissa thanks for thinking of me!! What wreaks havoc on my blood sugar is the hormones... so shots, pills, nuvaring, etc are all going to mess with me. :( I'll definitely get my tubes tied after kids, but for now, i'm still looking for the right thing. With law school in front of me, and our finances being therefore what they are(n't), kids are simply not something I can deal with. Beyond that, I won't be able to work full time when pregnant- I think I spend a lot of time and thought on my diabetes now, it will be a hundred time more difficult when pregnant!!!

The skier makes sense- any stress/excitement/activity can throw you out of whack, and being out of whack means you don't perform at your best!! There have been times when I know my blood sugar isn't near my target when I'm bowling... yikes!

Anyway, Boot Camp doesn't really throw me off. I have noticed I'll never be able to attend the camp the way they do it, because the participants don't really know what they'll be doing when they go every day. I, fortunately, do have advanced notice, so I can modify what insulin I take before I get there and generally I guess right. As long as I know what I'll be doing, I have been at it long enough to be able to guess roughly correctly. Roughly. :) Thanks for asking!!

I have had a non-hormonal IUD since 1998 and have had absolutely no problems. My blood sugar levels are way too erratic for any kind of hormones, and I was nervous at first about trying something that I had heard so many "horror stories" about. I had cramping for the first day or so, but have had absolutely no complaints since then, and plan to replace mine in 2008 when the original needs to be removed. Just another angle for you :)

I was on Depo for 4 years and was told I needed to look for a different method of BC so I decided to opt for a coil fitting (as DH & I don't want kids and this was a more 'hassle-free' option).

Anyway, being on Depo I didn't have periods and hadn't had kids so it was going to be difficult to fit anyway but I wasn't prepared for the pain that was to come. The doctor tried 3 times to insert it before I told her not to bother - I was in agony. When she took the 'insertion' implement out, it had only gone in about 2 inches and needed what looked like another 2 feet. I was bleeding and having cramps for the next 2 days.

I've come off Depo now (as DH had the snip, bless him) and am suffering as a result of that too :(

Good luck - I'd stick with the pill if I were you (or just abstain and be done) :) :)

I have not used the IUD, but I do use the Depo shots and I love them. Highly recommend them. No side affects (for me at least). I end up rarely getting my period thru the 3 month (shot is every 3 months) period which is awesome!

Oh, I have one and it is true! My Aunt died from ovarian cancer years ago when she was only 44! She left the IUD inside her for 13 years and things got pretty infected and she had alot of discomfort to one side and didn't see any doctor about it until she couldn't stand the pain anymore. Well it was much worse and there wasn't anything any doctor could do.

Charlotte~~

I have an idea. Have your husband store his sperm. Then get a vasectomy. Then, you don't have to use any bc method. When you want to have kids, have his sperm inseminated.
Well, why not?
Beth

IUD's are not nearly as risky as you might think. For one thing, horror stories are not quite the way to go. If you want horror stories, then read up on the dalkon shield in the 70's (this one is no longer in use due to all the problems it caused). this horrible IUD was known for uteran perforation. IUD's are actually quite wonderful now and the risks have very much gone away.

facts of IUD's....
Two kinds, the Mirena (hormonal and lasts 5 years) and the Paragard (non hormonal and lasts 12 years). Of course, you have to remember to go in to get it removed. They work by blocking the fallopian tubes and 'irritating' the cervical opening so sperm are blocked. the mirena does this as well as slowly releasing hormones.

Many docs won't put in an IUD on a woman who hasn't had children, reason being that she is 'tighter' and many times the IUD won't fit because things haven't been stretched out. An IUD CAN be inserted in a woman who has not had children. It is inserted while she is on her period because the cervix is softer during this time. There is still no guarantee that it will be inserted. The doc will do a sounding, measure how deep the uterus is, and if it is deep enough he can insert it. Two strings dangle off the end of the IUD, the doc will cut these strings so they hang just out of the cervix. You need to check that you can feel these strings every month, usually after your period, to make sure the IUD is still in the correct position.

When taking into consideration which IUD to get you need to be aware of what your periods are like when you are not on a birth control method. If you usually have heavy periods and bad cramps, the Paragard (non hormonal) is likely to make these worse. Women on the Mirena usually don't have a period, except for occasional expulsion of old blood (usually dark brown and there is nothing wrong with it).

As for switching from another birth control method. Have you tried other pills? Which pill are you on now? I don't know how birth control savvy your doc is, but there are a LOT of different pills you can try and most likely find one that is better suited to your hormonal needs.

anyway, most of this if probably info you already know. And this has been a very long post. :) My point is, if you have a good doc and get all your facts straight, any birth control method is effective and safe. good luck on your choice, hope I helped a little.

maddie

ETA: as for Depo, the reason people are being encouraged to switch off of it is because of some studies linking it with bone density loss which can lead to osteoporosis. taking calcium and exercising regularly will usually combat this. after going off of depo the bone has been shown to regrow, but it is not yet known by how much. if depo is the only method that works for a woman (for example she can't have any estrogen due to migraines) then it is recommended she continue depo if it is the only method that works for her.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.