Scale not moving down but clothes fit better

mgm1

Cathlete
I know we should not be concerned with the scale but I can't help, it really bothers me that is not moving down at all. My clothes fit better and today I tried some clothes that used to fit me when I was 15-20 lbs lighter. They fit perfectly. I don't believe that I have put on so much muscle. I have started lifting weights 2 years ago. I am currently 133 lbs with 31% B.F. I am beggining to think that my Tanita scale does not shows the fat properly. I can not be 31% B.F and be fitting in size 4 clothes that I used to wear when I was 15-20 lbs lighter. Even worst, when they check my weight in dr's offices it it around 140-145 (with the clothes on and after eating). I am 5' 4" and according to the charts I am too heavy. Should I just ditch the scale. I am seriously thinking about going to some gym and have it professionally measured. Sorry for a long post, but had it get if off my chest.

I know we should not be concerned with the scale but I can't help, it really bothers me that is not moving down at all. My clothes fit better and today I tried some clothes that used to fit me when I was 15-20 lbs lighter. They fit perfectly. I don't believe that I have put on so much muscle. I have started lifting weights 2 years ago. I am currently 133 lbs with 31% B.F. I am beggining to think that my Tanita scale does not shows the fat properly. I can not be 31% B.F and be fitting in size 4 clothes that I used to wear when I was 15-20 lbs lighter. Even worst, when they check my weight in dr's offices it it around 140-145 (with the clothes on and after eating). I am 5' 4" and according to the charts I am too heavy. Should I just ditch the scale. I am seriously thinking about going to some gym and have it professionally measured. Sorry for a long post, but had it get if off my chest.

If I weighed 140-145 and wore a size 4, I'd laugh at the charts and/or doctor and say, "I'm a size 4, bite me!" :D:eek::p

Seriously though, if you really want to know for sure, I would get professionally measured just to "check". :D

Lisa

Magda kudos to you for being able to see a difference with your clothes! Whatever you are doing it is working. Since I know I will never be a competitive fitness gal I've ditched the scale. Like sizes on clothing I think that people tend to get to bogged down by what size or how much someone weighs. Weight changes depending on what you are wearing, eating, . time of the month, . . even if you go to the bathroom your weight can change. Instead of getting so worried about the number I just took pictures of myself and tracked my changes monthly. The camera does not lie, . . . most of the time anyway. I had a pair of jeans that were my motivator and used those to measure my success. Mostly, . . .I'd like to say expect change to happen slowly, . . it WILL happen but slow and steady is the way to go. This is a lifestyle change.

Don't feel rained on, one person told me I look like I weighed 120. But I am 20lbs heavier. My clothes do fit better, but I love that instant gratification of the scale moving!

Magda, like you I am 5'4" and weigh 133, annoyed that the scale isn't moving but I'm fitting into clothes I couldn't wear six months ago at 136. Three pounds does not make that much difference, so obviously the scale isnt the best measure. I used to want to get back to 120. I think with the way things are going, 125-127 will put me where I want to be. I am thinking of throwing my scale out the window!

My stats are similar to yours....I am 5'3", weigh about 130# and also wear a size 4. Everyone thinks I weigh less then I do. Muscle is deceiving... but in a GOOD way! You definitely can't go by those lousy charts if you are active and lift weights. They don't account for muscle. Also, you don't have to weigh 120 or less to look good! It's just a number!!!

Congrats! :D

I don't like the scale, it doesn't seem to take into account different body types. Size 4...pretty darn good!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.