Salt, Sugar Fat by Michael Moss

PhyllisG

Cathlete
I want to recommend this book to anyone who is interested in what we eat and what we are feeding our children. The ingredients, the manipulation of said ingredients and the advertising that goes into selling us not only junk that is not good for us but is harmful. Sure we all know this but this book really brings it home. Anyone with concerns about what their children are consuming should read this. If you are not concerned, you should really read this. It really makes you take another look at your diet and believe me after reading this it is much easier to pass on the temptations--soda, chips, cereals, cookies, pop tarts etc.

I heard about this book and wanted to read it, and your review was a good reminder that I STILL want to read it. I watched the video, Sugar: the bitter truth last year and it is the reason why I have given up eating anything with added sugar (I only use fruit for my sweetners now). In fact, April 1 will be my year anniversary without added sugars.

You are so right, once you know more about what you are eating it makes it really easy to pass on the things that are not healthy for us. I just bought the book, Super Immunity - another great read. It has some great recipes and I am looking forward to implementing what I read in my daily life.

I was wondering - do you think this book would be good as an audible book? Or does it have a lot of charts and tables that are helpful and I would miss out on if I just had the audible.

- sarah

I'm reading this book now. It's quite shocking and a great read. Another book that is out that is similar is Dr. Robert Lustig's Fat Chance. I have not read it but, I have seen him on a few shows promoting it.

I read this. What really got me was all the research and testing that goes into finding our "bliss point."
basically they have engineered this food in such a manner as to make it addictive.

I thought the section on lunchables was fascinating. Not that I'd ever eat one, but it's terrible how they are marketed to children.

If you haven't, see Food, Inc. That is also another big eye opener.

Elizabeth

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

Macbeaner,
Sugar, salt, fat would make a great audio book. It does not have charts, tables, etc. it is written by an investigative reporter and I imagine would sound like you are listening to a documentary.

Moss writes somewhere about the potato chip being the perfect addictive food--sugar from the starch of the potato, salt, and fat. Reminded me of Cathe saying somewhere about fat coming not from the barbell but from the potato chip. I happen to find potato chips hard to pass up but not now. I am not eating another one. I hate being manipulated. If you are having a hard time giving up soda, try reading the chapter on that. They refer to you not as a consumer but as a "hard user". Remind you of anything. Pox on all of them. Not a care in the world about anyone's health especially your children's.

Macbeaner,
Sugar, salt, fat would make a great audio book. It does not have charts, tables, etc. it is written by an investigative reporter and I imagine would sound like you are listening to a documentary.

Thanks! I will go ahead and get the audible book.

This was a really great book - full of interesting information, and I thought his style of writing was really engaging. I agree with the pp on the "bliss point" discussion. Truly fascinating. I wish there had been some discussion on how to make your body avoid responding to the bliss point cravings though! :)

Additional reading ideas

Thanks for the Michael Moss rec, I'll be sure to check it out.

If you are looking for additional reading on the same topic, I can recommend both Breaking the Food Seduction by Dr. Neal Barnard and The Pleasure Trap by Dr. Doug Lisle. Both are excellent at explaining the biochemical and physiological basis for over consumption of these foods.

Both stress the idea that it is not an issue of lack of willpower that leads to people being overweight, but that in fact we are physically programmed to overeat certain foods. I think this is a really important message that more people need to hear.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.