Running..

xjumpnj

Hi Cathe, I've been trying to get into some running, and was wondering is there anything in particular that you think about when you are running??? Is there a certain breathing pattern I should be trying to master or some kind of rhythum? I've been running with my x-army husband and asked if he could sing that left, left, left, right, left......
Also, what are your opinions on fat burners such as Hydroxycut??? I know you don't like to give advice on diet and stuff, but I really value your opinion! I'm struggling with about a 5 to 7lb weight gain since Christmas and it seems no matter what I do I can't get it off. I'm told it's muscle and I know, I know, muscle weighs more than fat but I don't feel like I look like I'm gaining muscle. This is kinda of the poor me song isn't it??? Sorry! I can't wait for the new videos!!!
Take care,
Cara

running....

>Hi Cathe, I've been trying to
>get into some running, and was
>wondering is there anything in particular
>that you think about when you
>are running??? Is there a certain
>breathing pattern I should be trying
>to master or some kind of
>rhythum? I've been running with
>my x-army husband and asked if
>he could sing that left, left,
>left, right, left...... Also, what
>are your opinions on fat burners
>such as Hydroxycut??? I know you
>don't like to give advice on
>diet and stuff, but I really
>value your opinion! I'm struggling
>with about a 5 to 7lb
>weight gain since Christmas and it
>seems no matter what I do
>I can't get it off.
>I'm told it's muscle and I
>know, I know, muscle weighs more
>than fat but I don't feel
>like I look like I'm gaining
>muscle. This is kinda of
>the poor me song isn't it???
>Sorry! I can't wait for
>the new videos!!! Take care, Cara
>

Just reasking, I know you are very busy and I hope I don't come across as being impatient, I would welcome anyone's else's opinion too! Thanks so much!!!

Hi Cara!

I can't offer any advice on the Hydroxycut, but I can give you a little advice on the running.

Don't worry about the breathing patterns! Just breath naturally. For long time runners who are trying to break through speed barriers, there are breathing patterns that may be of some help to them. For the average Joe runner like you and me, all it will do is feel unnatural.

So just breath! Try to relax and enjoy the scenery. Let your arms swing naturally, keep your abs very lightly engaged. Try to locate your center of gravity and lead with it. That is supposed to help prevent you from over-striding too far out in front of yourself, which can lead to injury. In my case, my center of gravity is just below my belly button.

As a new runner, don't try to break any speed barriers. Just take your time and find a speed that feels comfortable for you. Make sure you've got good shoes that are running-specific. Don't increase your distance or time spent running all at once. Rule of thumb is to increase only 5 percent per week.

I could go on and on and wear you down with advice, but I don't want to. Just enjoy the experience. Runners World has an excellent site for beginning runners. Go to www.runnersworld.com and click on beginning runners. Loads of info and training programs.

I've been running off and on for over 20 years now! I started running in college to impress the guy who became my boyfriend. I'm still running ... in fact, I out ran him many years ago
happy.gif
Now I've got a cute husband who runs twice a week. And I run rings around him, too!
happy.gif
happy.gif
Enjoy!

Hi!

I recently started running again too. One method that I find works well for me is to run in longer intervals. For example, I might run for 7 or 8 minutes, then walk for 1 or 2 and then repeat 4-5 times. This helps take a little of the stress off of your joints so I always feel like I can have a longer workout. If you only walk (briskly!) for a minute or two, your heart rate doesn't really fall. This especially works for me because I have lower back problems that are aggravated by running too much.

I am also curious about Hydroxycut! I would like to try it but I don't know if it's safe or what the side effects may be. Hopefully someone will shed some light on it!

-Thea

running

i asked Cathe last week about my stuborn last 10 pounds. She suggested I alternate my 4-5 mile run (40 minutes at a nice steady pace) with running one mile harder than the others . I did something sort of like that on Monday! Man what a work out. I did 2 minutes of running followed by 2 minutes of walking. I did this for 53 minutes. Watching my watch was annoying, so you could landmark interval (telephone pole to telephone pole). Anyway it was a great workout. I sure felt it in my quads the next day

Plan to do walk-run intervals....

....and just bought a pair of running shoes!! Miss Deb H and I are going to do a maiden voyage run (for me) on Saturday. I think it will be walking/running for me, though, on more of a regular basis. Always got to try something new!!
happy.gif

Hey HB!!

We got to break those new sneaks in!! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow morning. Be prepared~There are a few inclines on the track! We MAY have to WALK those. LOL! We'll do the best we can. My legs are screaming this A.M. as I did some back of leg and some new kickbox moves in class yesterday! I need to get this worked out by tomorrow. I was THINKING of riding my bike around the pond a few laps to loosen up a bit. Maybe a jog/walk too to get ready??? Have a good day & see ya' soon.

DebbieH

heart rate monitor?

Daphne, or anyone that uses a heart rate monitor, I need some help. I've been doing walk/runs this summer & have finally moved up to 30 minute "runs" (ok, it's almost criminal to call it a run but I'm no longer walking). I'm using a heart rate monitor to stay below my anaerobic threshold. For those of you that use a HRM & enjoy a variety of cardio workouts, how do you plan your cardio workouts?

I have Burke's book on heart rate training, which lays out specific programs for walkers, runners, cyclists, etc. Essentially each week should have a recovery day, a tempo workout or two, intervals & maybe some endurance. But how does one handle multi-activities? The most applicable section is for tri-athletes but it's not clear. Any guidance?

Debra

Runners World site

Daphne, the Runners World site & beginners program has helped me a lot. You might have been the one to suggest it on the VF forum.
Debra

Hi Debra

I don't use a HRM. Heck, I hate accessories so much that I don't even use an umbrella! But I think the principals of a hard day, an easy day, a recovery day, an interval day, a tempo day, etc. can all be used to apply to your workouts.

I like to follow the training guidelines for runners, but I use substitutions whenever I'm not in the mood for a run:

A long, slow run = I can string together several cardio portions of video tapes to become the equivalent. Lately, I've been using Christi Taylor's tapes a lot for this. They're not as intense as Cathe's and her 2 new ones are LONG -- about 70 minutes of cardio in each.

A tempo run = any Cathe cardio tape (Power Max and later) of about 40 minutes

Interval run = Interval Max

A hard, fast run = a hard, fast run -- Nothing substitutes for this.

Does this make sense? I love the fact that I have so many options.

Hi Cara!

Its great to hear that you are thinking of beginning a running program. Any time you start a new fitness program your body will not only recruit new muscle fibers but work all of its called upon muscles in new ways. This will help shock your system which is always very effective when trying to break through a fitness plateau(which you have mentioned that you have been experiencing). So I would highly recommend this running program as a way of "attacking" that 5 to 7 pound gain.

You have received great advice as far as how to ease into a running program. Start with a thorough warm up, move into a brisk walk and after that do intervals of brisk walking and light running for about 20 minutes and then start your cool down of brisk walking, to standard walking, to a stretch(whew, what a run on sentence
happy.gif
). Do not do too much too soon. Push a little bit beyond your comfort zone each workout and eventually you will see that you can go longer with each workout.

As far as Hydroxycut, I have not used the product, however, I do not recommend using anything that contains an ephedra(which this product does).

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Say NO to Hydroxycut...

I was getting frustrated last year because I love to eat, but was slacking on my workouts. So I was reading Oxygen magazine (it's more for 'bodybuilder' type fitness), and I saw an article about Hydroxycut. As it turns out it was really an advertisement promoted by one of the fitness models featured in the magazine!

Well, I bought it (expensive too) and took not even half the dosage to be safe. But it still made my heart pound, gave me AWFUL headaches, and I could NOT sleep. So I stopped after 2 days.

Now I realize how dumb I was to mess with drugs just to lose a few pounds. If you try your best to workout and eat well, your body will go to it's healthy weight on its own. Just be glad you have a healthy body! and please don't mess with it by using diet pills- afterall, you only have one :)

Hydroxycut

I also want to try and discourage you from taking this product. I took this product after reading Oyxgen magazine too. I ended up getting pretty "sick" and even started to LOOSE my cardio endurance. If you or anyone else, wants the details, please feel free to email me.

I agree with Cathe, ephedra is something to stay AWAY from.

Tammy

I agree - say no to Hydroxycut

It burns the hell out of me when I read an Oxygen magazine and see those "articles" that are really advertisements. Take a good look at Marla Duncan, I don't think she looks that great. Furthermore, her before picture is either when she is still pregnant or the minute after she had her baby.

I think that achieving your goals drug free will give you or anyone a much better sense of accomplishment than having to use unnatural substances would. Fitness is a life long journey and not an overnight success story.

Kim

Hydroxycut...

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone!!! What a coincedence, I too read about Hydroxycut in Oxygen mag, but kinda got caught up in the idea that because it was in the mag and the women in there used it that it would be unlike all the other "fatburners" out there which I look down on. The amazing world of advertising!!!! I took off all my weight with Weight Watchers and regular exercising and was always so proud of that, but then hit this major plateau and small weight gain, but then again I have been lifting more on a regular basis instead of just cardio. So I guess I am going to have to get rid of the stinkin thinkin!! Boy, have I just rambled on and on or what? Thanks again for all the advice. What a great forum this is!!!!!
Cara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.