Running workouts

Hi Cathe,

I have been wanting to send this out but keep forgetting. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Cardio Coach workouts, I know there have been many discussions on this forum about them in the past. These workouts are what made me want to run. I love using them while on my treadmill and the beauty of them is that you don't have to make DVD's out of them. They are just mp3 files loaded on anything you want to use to play them. Another beauty of them is that YOU do not have to get on a treadmill to do the workouts you might want to create for us (hint hint). I have a feeling you're not much of a runner.

Sadly, Sean O'Malley passed away some years ago and there are no other workouts like these on the market. I think you should take up this lost passion for those of us who loved him and his workouts.

So you have music playing in the background while doing these workouts and you decide what types of challenges you want to put on the workouts and you talk and give positive feedback as the challenges are going on.

So this is an example of one of the Cardio Coach workouts I do. Keep in mind, these are copyrighted.

Track 1: 5 minute warmup
Track 2: Steady State 4 min.
Track 3: Challenge 1: 6 - 20 second level 3 hill climbs, 40 second rest between each
Track 4: Steady State 2 min.
Track 5: Challenge 2: 3 - 1 min. level 3 sprints, 1 min. rest between each
Track 6: Steady State 4 min.
Track 7: Challenge 3: 3 min. level 3 hill climb
Track 8: Cool Down

Tracks are separate which will allow you to do premixes. Your imagination can make up tons of different workouts and challenges. I've been doing Cardio Coach for YEARS and I still love doing them every week. I'm in need of something new and what a great thing if my favorite trainer (YOU) would do something like this for us.

I hope I get back up on this. Come on Cardio Coach fans!!! Agree with me here!!! :)

Thanks for listening.

Cathe, I think Debbie has a great suggestion. I know I would love for you to do something like this in the near future. I am not able to run on a treadmill but I would most defiantly use this on my elliptical machine. I have cardio equipment in my gym that is dying for me to get on it!

Let's do it!

Hi Debbie and oth er Cardio Coach fans!

I whole heartedly agree. I love Cardio Coach and have been doing coach Sean O'Malley 's workouts for years now and love them. I love the versatility you can either walk to them on TM or outside, same thing with running, or on spinning bikes etc.. Just whatever cardio machine you have or not it all works. I'd love for Cathe to do her own take on these on dvd sowe can add them to our windows media player and add them our own iPod like device and us. So,. yes I agree with Debbie!!!!

Best wishes

Nora

I am not familiar with Cardio Coach, but would welcome an audio file I could listen to on my iPod while running. If Cathe produced something with good music and her encouraging words putting me through a self selected, chaptered program - wow! Ideal way to up my running game! Thanks for posting this suggestion, FitnessFreakk366!

Fantastic idea! I love what Sean did with Cardio Coach and agree there is a void with these types of workouts currently. Cathe would do a fabulous job with these. Might be outside of her comfort zone initially, but I know the result would be AWESOME if she would consider!! Thanks for suggesting!

Yes, I agree, there isn't much out there in the running world for treadmills since Sean's untimely death. Cathe would be great at this so hopefully she will read this thread. Again, she doesn't even need to do the workouts if she is not a runner. Mp3's require NO video!! :)

This is an old thread, but I am bumping! I would love to have actual workout DVDs with Cathe coaching us through a treadmill interval workout, similar to the Runervals DVD series. I currently devise my own intervals on the treadmill, or look at workout intervals on the internet to follow, but it would be great if I could be coached through the workout like the Spin DVDs that Cathe does. Yes please!

Thanks, Elsie! As a result of browsing the Marina mp3s, I found a couple of treadmill interval mp3s from Amy Dixon and another generic coaching one from Jessica Smith. I bought the first treadmill workout from Amy Dixon. Will see how it goes, but I think I would still like a video.

Thanks, Elsie! As a result of browsing the Marina mp3s, I found a couple of treadmill interval mp3s from Amy Dixon and another generic coaching one from Jessica Smith. I bought the first treadmill workout from Amy Dixon. Will see how it goes, but I think I would still like a video.

Me too!!! OMG, Amy's workouts are AWESOME!! I bought 2 of them, Treadmill Coach 1 & 2 - not sure if there are anymore, I didn't see any others on Amazon. These two workouts are excellent - as good as Cardio Coach if that is possible. I listened to both of them and have the workouts typed out on a card so I know what I'm in for. I cannot wait to do one of them tomorrow.

I did download one of Marina's and she is very annoying. She sings through parts of the workout and says "yeah?" all the time (LOL!) and they don't seem very hard. Not saying that to be mean, just not workouts for me. But Amy - now she's challenging!!!

Elsie, thank you for the suggestion of Marina. It made me look around to see what else is out there.

For the record: I STILL think Cathe should do workouts like these. She'd be awesome at it.

I did download one of Marina's and she is very annoying. She sings through parts of the workout and says "yeah?" all the time (LOL!) and they don't seem very hard. Not saying that to be mean, just not workouts for me. But Amy - now she's challenging!!!

Elsie, thank you for the suggestion of Marina. It made me look around to see what else is out there.

Hahaa! Good to know .... no I have not tried her out yet as I am cheap & wait for others to review it first usually. :p Oh yeah, I forgot about Amy's!! I miss her ..... use to do many of her workouts on FitnessGlo.

another generic coaching one from Jessica Smith.
Yes, I have that one somewhere in my computer! have to hunt for it. Let us know what you think.

I also found 2 workouts from Jeff Galloway (also on Amazon) coaching through his Run-Walk method (2:00/1:00 and 3:00/1:00 intervals). I may get those eventually, but it really is just him telling you when to run and when to walk, and there is no variation that I can tell. I was curious to see if he did any others, so I Googled and found this: http://music.motiontraxx.com/jeffgalloway/. Looks like you can download his 0:30/0:30 and 1:00/1:00 workouts from this site for free. Looks like there is an app at this site through which you can buy other tracks from other instructors.

Yes, I have that one somewhere in my computer! have to hunt for it. Let us know what you think.

Elsie - I didn't get the Jessica Smith one yet. I want to see if I like the MP3 format before I buy any more. If nothing else, these will be great to take traveling. If a hotel has a "fitness center", they are bound to have a treadmill to use them on. I'm going to try the Amy Dixon one hopefully this week sometime and I'll report back what I think. It sounds pretty good without actually doing it yet.

So I did Treadmill Coach Vol 1 this morning and OMG!! What an incredible workout. Top notch, it rivals Cardio Coach hands down. It was hard but I did well with it, only having to rest a few times during some of it. I'm not an endurance runner, and this is endurance work. This is they type of training I need and want, so I really loved it. I can't wait to do Volume 2.

Come on Cathe, I know you can do workouts like this!!!

I tried Amy Dixon's Treadmill Coach Vol 1 today also. Had to break it up into two sessions due to time constraints and only did the first 4 stages, but WOW. Something about it made me push myself further than I thought I'd be able to go. At the end I was dripping with sweat. I totally believe that I can vastly improve my running with this. I am sold! Going to go back and buy her Treadmill Coach 2 and Treadmill Express. I'll probably pick up the Jessica Smith one eventually too.

And Cathe, if you are reading this thread: These have to be fairly cheap (compared to videos) to produce and distribute as MP3 downloads, and Amazon is charging 8-9 bucks per workout. If nothing else, maybe you could consider producing these from a purely ROI standpoint? :)

Last edited:
Hi,

I looked at Amy Dixon's Treadmill Coach Vol 2 on Amazon...a little confused as to how it works where you can pick a level. Do you have to skip tracks to keep to the level that you can do? For example, there is a Warm Up A and a Warm Up B.....that would be easy to start with, unless you start with A.....then you have to skip over B? I also saw that there are individual tracks for $.99 each?

Any info from those that have purchased would be appreciated! :)

The tracks on the Treadmill Coach "albums" are meant to be played in order as a playlist for a complete workout. They are numbered and also shown as "stages". I don't know why she has a warmup A and B, but a complete warmup would be both tracks - A - which is easy and no incline. Then you warmup further with B - with a 6% incline, for a total warmup time of 8 minutes, to set the stage for the first interval. The next stages are Stage 2: Pyramid Intervals, Stage 3: Interval Repeaters, and Stage 4: Hiit Intervals. Stage 5 is your Cooldown. If you wanted to skip one of the intervals, you could just skip over that track in your playlist to get a shorter workout. You make your own levels within in each track - within the workout, she tells you how you should be feeling (easy, moderate, hard, and breathless) with indicators like, "Ask yourself - could I push myself a little further? Am I truly working hard at this point?" etc, so you speed up or slow down based on how you feel - that is, you work at your own pace and make your own "levels".

Treadmill Coach 2 also has a bonus 30 minute workout contained in a single track. So there are two workouts in this album.

As for purchasing individual tracks, it doesn't really make sense to do this unless you were buying just the 30 minute bonus workout, which I'm not sure is even available outside purchasing the whole album. As noted above, the main workout is really all the stages working together.

I'm not sure if this answered your questions - if not, let me know! :)

These are top notch workouts, I really like them. The only complaint I have about Volume 2 is the music, it is horrible. Especially the sprint challenge. That trumpet is annoying. But the workout is awesome. Volume 1 is awesome as well and the Bonus track is fun if you need a quick workout.

Nice job explaining Volume 2, yamabachi!!! They are fun and HARD! I did Volume 2 today and although I am getting better with it, I still have a hard time running non-stop up those hills. But I do see improvements since the last time I did it!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.